Describe Prog Metal

ElPredicador said:
ok whatever

Hey man, I'm sorry 'bout that short post. I was in a hurry to get out the door when I responded.

Basically what I meant was, a virtuoso in my world isn't strictly limited to musicians, but when combined with music, you get the class definition of prog. Art rock!

Again, sorry for coming off like a dick.

just because u hear SOME kind of power metal in SyX doesnt mean theyre not prog.. think of Opeth and Cynic, those are prog right.. but they are far more distinctly death metal to me. Besides if I was to label SyX as anything other than prog, it will be neoclassical or symphonic, though I think of Adagio as the most neoclassical band I have heard so far..its only the odyssey album that is a bit more power-ish..and even then, its still not very.

Here's your easiest definition if you want to explain "prog metal" to someone who is really not in tune with the metal scene.

Prog Metal is like regular heavy metal (powerful and aggressive) but the musicians are usually highly talented and incorporate lots of other musical styles into their songs.

That's as much as I would tell anyone because you can't explain the entire genre to someone. you'd have to take it band by band and let them decide for themselves. Besides, if they don't like metal to begin with, they probably won't like the majority of prog metal either (give or take a song or three).

i think prog metal is.....

prog metal has many tempo "progresisons" in their songs, scale variety and exquisit metrics, require a lot of technique and music knowledge of the composers, an also poetic influences in the songwritting, which separates them from other kinds of metal....

anyone thinks that too??

scanner313, I think you are wrong when you say that if people aren't into metal, they won't loki prog metal either. I myself like very little metal bands, and a friend of mine doesn't like metal at all (give or take a couple of songs/bands), yet his favourite band are dream theater, with Symphony X coming up second, lemur voice, pink floyd, which are all prog metal (except of course pink floyd)

ElPredicador said:
scanner313, I think you are wrong when you say that if people aren't into metal, they won't loki prog metal either. I myself like very little metal bands, and a friend of mine doesn't like metal at all (give or take a couple of songs/bands), yet his favourite band are dream theater, with Symphony X coming up second, lemur voice, pink floyd, which are all prog metal (except of course pink floyd)

El Predicador,

I'm not saying that people "can't" like Prog if they don't like metal, but most people who do not like metal will most likely not like prog metal either, because at it's root it's got the same basic quality. With exceptions of ballads, I think themajority of people who aren't metal fans who would like bands like Dream Theater and SyX would be musicians who can appreciate the complexity of the music and skill of the musicians.

And of course, this doesn't apply to all people, there are exceptions. But in my experience, if people don't like metal, they simply don't like prog metal either.

This is easy, as far as a "building-block" definition...

"Progressive Metal" has all of the elements of "Traditional" Metal, including aggressive vocals, distorted guitars, and driving drums and bass. In addition, Progressive Metal contains many or all of the following:

odd meter (7/8, 5/4, etc...)
intricate time signature and tempo changes
high-speed unison, harmony, or counter-point instrumental lines
drastic changes in dynamics, instrumentally and/or vocally
complex orchestral arrangements, with heavy keyboard utilization
Deep, complex lyrics with "non-standard" subjects, i.e. no "sex, drugs, rock and roll"
jazz and/or classical elements
excellent musicianship: tends to be music for music's sake

to give prog metal a chance to even want to listen to, it will take a certain mindset in a person i think.. alot of people refuse to even give it a chance because they have this opinion that all metal sucks without even hearing it.

but theres also people that will like it, because they really do like metal deep down, just never have been given anything to awaken that calling in them.

So a person doesnt have to be necessarily an established metal fan to enjoy prog, but there has to be an underlying appreciation for metal whether realised yet or not, to enjoy it i think.

ive shown symphony x to a few people as a basis of prog metal, but most cant get over the theme lyrics, and ridicule it immediately. But then there have been a couple who appreciate the technical elements to the music, and the style, which really is what prog is.

Now when showcasing my favorite prog bands, i stick to the term symphonic/neoclassical/prog, so they know more definitive what theyre getting with bands such as symphony x and adagio which are my two favorites.