Destruction/Death Angel, Hirax @ Slim's 1/23/07

Enemy242

Jun 27, 2004
CA
www.myspace.com
i haven't written a review of a show for a while but since it was so awesome and theres a lot of stops left on the tour i had to write something about the show last night.

I got there really early and the first band was Hirax which i've seen at thrash against cancer and were great but this time they were really on fire. they have great stage presence, especially thier vocalist and thier sound was great. the crowd was totally into it and the band seemed like it to and there was really a lot of energy. they played a setlist that didn't have as much new stuff as i would've thought so i wasn't as familiar with it but this is what i remember

El Diablo Negro
Hostile Territory
Bombs Of Death (i think)
Hate Fear and Power
Barrage Of Noise
Destroy

next was into eternity which i know a lot of people like but i don't really so i just hung out downstairs

at this show death angel was coheadlining so they played too and they were really energetic, moreso than when i saw them at bourbon street a while back and the crowd was literally going crazy for them. they played a pretty wicked setlist which was i think as follows

Seemingly Endless Time
Evil Priest
5 Steps Of Freedom
Thicker Than Blood
Voracious Souls
Mistress Of Pain
3rd Floor
Ex-Tc
Thrown To The Wolves

I might be missing a few but it was definately a fucking awesome set, death angel really seem like they love playing live and just going crazy.

Finally after a while of soundproblems and setting up problems, Destruction came on and even though they had some problems and Schmier got really mad eventually they fixed it all and they played one of the most amazing setlists i've ever seen. i don't know the exact order, but fairly close i think

Curse The Gods
Mad Butcher
Cracked Brain
Nailed To The Cross
Antichrist
Sign Of Fear
Release From Agony
Death Trap
Soul Collector
Life Without Sense
Thrash Till Death
The Defiance Will Remain
Total Desaster
Bestial Invasion
The Butcher Strikes Back

I might be missing a few again but it was a great setlist, after everything got sorted out the sound was pretty good and most people were totally into the set and he talked to the crowd a lot. the show went really late and at the end once a lot of people were leaving and only the really hardcore fans were left Schmier was talking to the crowd even more and asking what people wanted to hear and it really felt personal and great, i was really disappointed the show had to end. even though they're great live, the guitar sounds a bit thin, if they could get a touring guitarist it would really help out thier sound, still its a great show that no one should pass up.

nope, i'm almost positive they ended with thrown to the wolves because i remember thier vocalist was drunk and came in too early and then after the guitarist and bassist traded instruments and shredded and they just went crazy. maybe i'm wrong though.

Curse The Gods
Mad Butcher
Cracked Brain
Nailed To The Cross
Antichrist
Sign Of Fear
Release From Agony
Death Trap
Soul Collector
Life Without Sense
Thrash Till Death
The Defiance Will Remain
Total Desaster
Bestial Invasion
The Butcher Strikes Back
Antichrist
Sign Of Fear
Release From Agony
Death Trap
Soul Collector
Life Without Sense
Thrash Till Death
The Defiance Will Remain
Total Desaster
Bestial Invasion
The Butcher Strikes Back
you bastard, they didn't play that in seattle at metalfest. sign of fear, omg i so wanted to hear that song.... damn germans

in seattle they played something along the lines of:
curse the gods
deposition
mad butcher
total desaster
cracked brain
life without a sense (not sure)
death trap
thte butcher strikes back
pretty short set. he didn't talk that much to the crowd other than announcing the tour with sodom and kreator

I saw Death Angel a year or so ago in a small shithole club in San Diego - it was one of the best shows I've seen in quite a long time. They had a lot of energy and sounded better than ever. Brought back a lot of memories to hear "Bored"! I hope they can continue to make a comeback.