Diamond Head returning to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!

This is dinosaur rock???????
I'm not going to listen to that stuff again because I'm listening to the new Helloween samples right now, but the short answer is yes, that is dinosaur rock to me. It's got a heavy metal sound but it doesn't have the intense, epic powerful qualities I associate with metal.

Bottom line is no one has even remotely asked for a viking or folk band.
And don't give me the "it doesn't fit in with" crap either, as on top of trad metal, there is thrash and doom..................

There are lots of people who like every type of metal that sounds like it's from the '80s, and they don't like anything modern. Do you really think Ensiferum would fit in well with the other bands on the bill?

Cool!

I would still rather see RISE ABOVE do a CATHEDRAL / ELECTRIC WIZARD / GATES OF SLUMBER "US DOOMINATION" tour, but hey, that's just me.

You guys would only want it if a band with silly costumes pretending to be satanic were on the bill, so what do I know... LOL......

Secular Haze??? Give me a break!

US Doomination aka fat white trash guys playing dull as music putting you to sleep on city at a time.

Well, anyhow, Diamond Head's coming back to the States and that makes me happy in the pants!!!!!

This bill in Chicago SHOULD have HIGH SPIRITS on it, but will probably have HESSLER.

They actually are getting back that day from Germany so they could do it but odds are they are not going to want to take any chances with it.

my money is on Bible of the Devil, Crusader and a 2 others that wont fit.

Cool!

I would still rather see RISE ABOVE do a CATHEDRAL / ELECTRIC WIZARD / GATES OF SLUMBER "US DOOMINATION" tour, but hey, that's just me.

You guys would only want it if a band with silly costumes pretending to be satanic were on the bill, so what do I know... LOL......

Secular Haze??? Give me a break!

As would I. Not holding my breath for that though.

jason forgets doom may be on the rise but it is something that would do good only in larger markets. That line up would not do well in say some small cities. You would have to stay within hipster cities / dens / hives.

Yeah, definitely agree on the larger markets.
I am sure that was the same with the first PAgan Fest.
I doubt that one hit up the Canopy Club in Urbana, IL.

As far as would the core Ragnarokkr crowd like viking / folk?
i guess first we would have to agree their is a "core" crowd.
My guess based on the diversity of this year's lineup, the concept of "core" crowd is still being developed.

The fest was definitely founded on the concept of traditional metal, but of course has since branched out.

They actually are getting back that day from Germany so they could do it but odds are they are not going to want to take any chances with it.

my money is on Bible of the Devil, Crusader and a 2 others that wont fit.

LOL, probably right.

How do you know so much about Hessler's schedule?
Are they going to KIT?

doh(1).jpg

Yeah, definitely agree on the larger markets.
I am sure that was the same with the first PAgan Fest.
I doubt that one hit up the Canopy Club in Urbana, IL.

As far as would the core Ragnarokkr crowd like viking / folk?
i guess first we would have to agree their is a "core" crowd.
My guess based on the diversity of this year's lineup, the concept of "core" crowd is still being developed.

The fest was definitely founded on the concept of traditional metal, but of course has since branched out.

The only viking metal band Ragnarokkr needs is Heavy Load. :headbang:

For an album or two, decades before any of these Paganfest types picked up a flute and accordion.
Ok we need to establish this: Do you consider viking metal a subgenre description (which can be separate from folk metal) or do you just use it to describe bands that have norse themes?

Either way, I wouldn't call Heavy Load viking metal, they have like what, one or to norse-themed tunes on each disk?

Yoda: My point was that if we're going to go with viking themed bands, Doomsword should be the one that gets brought over, but thanks anyways

Ok we need to establish this: Do you consider viking metal a subgenre description (which can be separate from folk metal) or do you just use it to describe bands that have norse themes?

Either way, I wouldn't call Heavy Load viking metal, they have like what, one or to norse-themed tunes on each disk?

Yoda: My point was that if we're going to go with viking themed bands, Doomsword should be the one that gets brought over, but thanks anyways

You're probably overthinking it. I'm just making the point that the whole Viking-themed metal idea isn't anything new.