Die Joe Dyer!!!

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Who the fuck hires these guys?! "What guys" you say? The guys that direct/edit music videos and cut out the fucking guitar solos!
I just got the DVD and sat down to watch it, in anticipation of seeing Opeth playing some nice solos. Well I haven't watched the whole thing, but the tracks I HAVE watched, when the guitar solo starts the fucking camera focuses on Martin's face, or Peter's eyes or something. I WANT TO SEE THEM PLAY THE FUCKIN SOLO!
I hate that shit.
Apart from that, and the fact that the camera view moves from person to person too much, the DVD seems excellent. Sound quality is brilliant, Mikael's introducing "The Drapery Falls" as a "poof's song" is class, and the songs are performed fantastically.

I wish the guy shouting "Opeth" all the time would shut the fuck up though, it's annoying.

Go buy this, and when MFN realise the sales potential, they'll give us a live DVD and pay to use the older songs like Demon of the Fall etc. Go on, you know you want to!
:kickass:

You know, they always advertise DVD concerts as having "multiple angles" and stuff, and I've learned, to me anyway, that means....watch it before you buy it. Meaning, I fully agree with you, Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio, and the last Marilyn Manson DVD were just plain unwatchable! I mean....what makes these directors think people wanna look at each band member for two seconds at a time....not to mention the solo thing you mentioned. Invariably, the camera goes straight to the guy who's not playing the solo, or the cool part, or singing.....almost always on your FAVORITE part too.....I have a Dead Can Dance DVD that is the same way. Right when the most pained and expressive vocal comes up, the bongo player if flashed on screen. Whatever.

Brother, I feel your pain. I never EVER buy a DVD without seeing it first now, and to be frank about it, your report makes me think I might not like this one. Opeth is my favorite band, but mixing them with frustration is just too much....

I know what you mean about the Iron Maiden thing - I bought their Live at Donington 1992 video years ago and it was so badly edited I couldn't watch it (Steve Harris edited that AND the Rock In Rio DVD). I'll never buy another Maiden video or DVD as long as Harris edits them , he's fucking shite at it.

If Opeth are your favourite band - go get this DVD, it IS a pain in the arse not seeing the solos (yes it does happen on every solo, I've watched it all now). but it's still a great DVD - the songs are great and the documentary is really interesting - Steven Wilson plays a fucking killer solo during Deliverance that got chopped from the final song.

Go buy it, but DVD editors - SHOW US THE FUCKING SOLOS!

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Yeah, it's quite embarrasing when Opeth are playing the "mellow" set and there's people screaming and death grunting.

lol yeah someone at the show I saw kept yelling satan or something, and another guy next to me almost got in a fight because he kept yelling shit at PT and how much he wanted to see Opeth....morons.

he doesn't mean the songs were edited, just that when mikael or peter are playing a solo, the video cuts to one of the martins faces or some other bs like that so you don't get to see the solo being played. You still hear it, but don't see it.

I just watch the DVD and I can say I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with not seeing their fingers playing the solos, so dont go round thinking the DVD is bad because of it, just that some people may be frustrated with it :)

I remember wondering the same when I bought the DT DVD years ago. And they captured almost every solo perfect and during the synch they got em all on split screens which I thought was so damn sweet of them to do. So seeing the solos is a big thing for me but if they don't show em I'll buy it anyway, fuck it as long as you here the live sound of it all.

mmh, i think takingthemusicback is right... i've done may opeth tabs and ti would be cool to see those solos played correctly live. but now you're telling me i can't...