Dimebag is dead

You know, you would expect this kind of thing to happen to a pop culture icon, like Ozzy, or Brittany or Eminem or whoever, not a guitarist in a heavy metal band :( (Im not saying that anyone else should have been shot, just that you would never think someone would be that psychotically obsessed and shoot someone in a heavy metal band, its sad :( )

Not that it means anything anymore, but didn't Phil break up Pantera? :(

I always laughed in that episode of the Simpsons set in the future where someone throws a beer can or something at Bart's band on stage and the electronic barrier lights up and destroys it. Something like that is going to be very real soon enough, I'm sure. We'll probably be seeing bands play behind glass or plastic shields in the next few years.

I heard that the killer approached Dimebag saying that he broke up Pantera as well. Whilst what Todd says is true, there was a period when both Dimebag and Vinnie were saying they weren't certain of the future of Pantera, while Phil was saying he wasn't interested in reuniting, so it was him that made the first move. Of course they are going to form a new band when they have been told that their current one is not going to continue or reform.

I agree with Spawn, it was very unexpected that it was Dimebag. I wouldn't have been half as surprised if it had have happened to Phil, and it is a pretty scummy thing to say, but I wish it had have been Phil.

I don't wish it had happened to Phil either. He is a drug-addled, drunken idiot who's said some damn fool things, but he must be going through the worst hell imaginable now, especially with all the rumours that it was his 'vendetta' with Dime that got him murdered.

I still can't believe it happened. It's completely fucked. I heard on the radio this morning that someone from Damageplan had been shot, but I was half asleep, so I didn't know if anyone had been killed. I got to work, opened the Age website, then saw his pic and thought "fuck". Tragic.

it's completely fucked.

Now it looks like this guy was trying to pass off Pantera lyrixx as his own and it could also be a possible motive.

What the fuck.

FUCK.

This shit just shouldn't happen. Completely fuckholed this situation is.

Yeah, Phil must be really regretting all the stupid shit he has said about beating th ehell out of him and all that. Vinnie must be completely lost too, its sad :(

I just wish I could be sadder about the whole thing, but I knew next to nothing about him apart from the fact that he was in Pantera and Damageplan and was said to be an awesome guitarist. I just could never get into Pantera and so I was never a fan of him or the band... so I can't really relate to how youse are all feeling. :(

I was young when Steve Clarke died so that didn't really affect me, and we all knew Randy Castillo was sick when he died, so that was expected. Probably the biggest rock star death of our (well, my) was Kurt Cobain, and the writing was on the wall there when he OD'd a few weeks or so earlier, so while that was a surprise it wasn't really a shock.

It's still a shock that it happened, especially considering the circumstances, but... yeah. As I said, it's just a shame I can't be sadder about the whole thing. I'm also sad that I couldn't get into Pantera beforehand so I could appreciate what he did in the industry.

Yeah.

Have you got Cowboys From Hell or Vulgar Display Of Power Spiffo? Both of those albums RULE. Far Beyond Driven is good too, but from that album onwards they started getting really, really heavy so they are different albums to the first two. If you have an mp3 finding thingo, download Cowboys From Hell, A New Level, Mouth For War, The Art Of Shredding and Cemetery Gates :)

Plus they did about 4 glam/hard rock albums in the Van Halen style before Phil joined Pantera, ive only heard little bits of them, but they rock as well from what ive heard.

I don't wish it had happened to Phil, but I certainly would have preferred that.

Cowboys From Hell is KILLER. Cemetary Gates, Heresy, Domination, Shattered, Clash With Reality, Psycho Holiday, and the rest is awesome too. :headbang:

All albums from then on have their moments, but CFH is where it's at.

If I could upload mp3s, I would post a link to Over And Out from their Power Metal album. Fantastic song. I got the copy from Trixx, so maybe he can.

Five Minutes Alone is another one of my favourite Pantera songs, its so damn heavy :worship:

I have The Great Southern Trendkill and whatever album came with that one in the two pack I got - either Vulgar Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven, can't remember which one.

I'll probably buy Cowboys From Hell soon. I was listening to Trendkill on the bus yesterday morning but couldn't really get into it.