Dimebag R.I.P. :-(

RjBeals said:
I listened to the "Floods" solo off of Reinventing the Steel while driving home from work yesterday.. and I got a little choked up. If anyone hasn't heard that song, please download & really listen to that solo. There is so much feeling in it - it is probably the best solo Darrell ever recorded.

yo man i feeel u bro.. that solo brought tears to my eyes.. ironically man i found out about his death as i was listning to that damn solo.... i was crushed ..
:confused:

that fucking asshole of nathan gale (the gunman) deserved a diffrent death....
...TO BE BURNED FUKING ALIVE!!!!

we will all miss Dime, he was a huge influence for me both as a metaler and as a guitar player in general
rip

From today's AP:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shooting Suspect Obsessed With Pantera

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The man who shot former Pantera guitarist ``Dimebag'' Darrell Abbott and three other men to death at a nightclub was obsessed with the popular heavy metal band and made bizarre accusations against it, a onetime friend said in reports published Friday.

Jeramie Brey said gunman Nathan Gale once showed up at a friend's house saying he wanted to share songs he had written. The pages of lyrics were copied from Pantera, but Gale claimed he had written them, Brey said.

``He was off his rocker,'' Brey told The Columbus Dispatch. ``He said they were his songs, that Pantera stole them from him and that he was going to sue them.''

He later told Brey that he planned to sue Pantera for stealing his identity. Brey and friend Dave Johnson said Gale's behavior frightened them and they distanced themselves from him several years ago. But other friends said they never considered Gale capable of violence.

On Wednesday night, the 25-year-old former Marine charged the stage at a show by Abbott's new band, Damageplan, and gunned down four people including Abbott before a policeman fatally shot him.

Police said Friday they still didn't know Gale's motive, and they may never find out. Some witnesses said Gale yelled accusations that the revered guitarist broke up Pantera, but police had not verified those reports.

An imposing figure at 6-foot-3, Gale had made people uneasy even at the tattoo parlor, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music. When he played offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder football team, he psyched himself up before games by piping Pantera into his headphones, coach Mark Green said.

But Green had not pegged Gale as the type to go on a shooting rampage.

``It wasn't like he was a loner,'' Green said.

Gale had had minor run-ins with police since 1997 but wasn't considered a troublemaker, according to police in his hometown of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus.

Gale had served with the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina until November 2003, when he was discharged after less than half of the typical four-year stint, Marine spokeswoman Gunnery Sgt. Kristine Scarber said. She declined to explain the discharge, citing privacy rules.

A few hours before the shooting, Gale had showed up at Marysville's Bears Den Tattoo Studio, where often he stared at people and forced them into conversations, manager Lucas Bender said.

``He comes in here and likes to hang out when he's not wanted,'' Bender said. ``The most pointless conversations.''

On Wednesday he asked about having the studio order tattoo equipment for him, tattoo artist Bo Toler said. Toler told him no, and Gale got angry and started yelling, he said.

``Last night was actually the first time I noticed his temper,'' Toler said.

No one answered the door Thursday at the Marysville home of Gale's mother, Mary Clark. A message left on her cell phone was not returned.

The violence at the smoke-filled Alrosa Villa club came just after the opening notes by Damageplan, the band formed by Abbott and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, after they left Pantera. Gale dodged two band members, grabbed Darrell Abbott and shot him at least five times in the head, witnesses and police said.

In less than five minutes, Gale had also killed Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23, of nearby Grove City; and band bodyguard Jeff Thompson, 40.

Two other band employees, Chris Paluska and John Brooks, remained in a hospital Friday morning with undisclosed injuries. Paluska was listed in good condition and Brooks in serious condition.

On 911 tapes released by authorities, one caller said, ``I heard quite a few gunshots and I think somebody in the band definitely has been shot.''

A short time later a man called and said: ``He's on stage right now. He's got a gun.'' A moment later, the man said, ``He just shot again,'' and then, ``He's got a gun to somebody's head.''

Despite a drizzle and temperatures in the 40s, more than 200 people turned up for a vigil Thursday night in the club's parking lot.

Shawn Sweeney, 22, played ``old-school Pantera'' on an acoustic guitar as a half-dozen young men held a blue tarp over his head and sang along as a crowd gathered.

``This is beautiful, this is absolutely beautiful,'' Sweeney said.

RjBeals said:
I listened to the "Floods" solo off of Reinventing the Steel while driving home from work yesterday.. and I got a little choked up. If anyone hasn't heard that song, please download & really listen to that solo. There is so much feeling in it - it is probably the best solo Darrell ever recorded.

floods is an excellent song, but it's from the great southern trendkill album.

damn...think about vinnie watching his brother, that he's pretty much spent his entire life with, get gunned down right in front of him...must have been painful as hell

man.. words cant even do do justice... i havent slept in 2 days.. kinda wierd since i dont relaly know him .. i havent heardmuch pantera in about 2-3 months.. and yet i still feel like it was someone close to me... i guess its true its only when u lose something u realize how precious it is... dimebag was truly my hero.. the smile he put on peoples faces when he played live.. his energy.. his love and devotion to his fans. .fuck.. i think i feel a tear forming

I'll pay my respects here as well...

I don't quite like Pantera's music, and I know little of the man himself, other than that I'm fairly sure he wasn't the total waste of life some people here on the board are saying he is.

True, he inspired many musicians, and for that he deserves respect. I believe it is also incredibly sad that his life was so brutally taken while doing something he loved.

But the fact of the matter is, he was a human being, and nobody deserves to die like that, just as nobody anywhere in the world should have to die in such a horrific manner. Yes, people die, but rarely have they done enough in their life to be able to bring together many grieving people who feel the same way. Is his death more important than anyone else's? No. But while we're here, we might as well share our condolences, regardless of your feelings on the man himself, and show some respect.

Thanks.

and RIP Dimebag

I planned on simply ignoring the flames and threats and letting this thread run its course; I simply underestimated the amount of childish anger my words would provoke.

Ive decided to post this response for a couple of reasons:
-Very incorrect assumptions/accusations have leveled against me that will effect my ability to post here in the future if not addressed.
-This is the OPETH forum, and essentially Dimebag is fair game. You would not see me over at the Pantera or Damageplan boards; i have no desire to troll, or needlessly piss on a dead mans grave. If you are looking for absolute agreement and unity in your vision of this man and his works, then go someplace else. This forum has no obligation to him.

First and foremost, i want to emphasize that I DO feel saddened by this event and all its ramifications. It is truly horrible than a performer was gunned downed by a crazed fan. However to make the jump from "this is sad and tragic" to "Dimebag was great" is a huge leap and one i flatly reject.

For those that misunderstood the mention of Hitler: In NO WAY was i comparing the two. If you have a basic understanding of sentence construction you will see that i simply changed the "subject" in anothers post. The aim was to show the logical fallacy of his statement and to illustrated why I disagree with the rationalizations being presented by the vast majority of posters. For those that labeled me an idiot or worse, i suggest you re-evaluate your claim.

About the "elitist" jabs: Every single person on this earth draws a line and makes value judgements on ethics and human life in general. To state otherwise is sheer nonsense and dellusion. Whether you say "all human life is equally valuable" or advocate the strictist social Darwinism, it is belief system that the individual has constructed and is NOT FACT. No of us are deities, and we do not have all the answers.

The unbelievable logical inconsistancies and plain double-think in this thread is astounding! A prime example:

The insincere and predictable attempts at modern humanism (ie. love and harmony boy): Last time i checked this is the forum for a DEATH METAL band. These two ideologies and movements are about as far apart as you can get. The fact that on any given day the majority on this board are callous assholes joking about the degredation of humanity, and then have the NERVE to pose as spokespersons for compassion (not surprisingly only when something they care about is affected) is truly absurd. It is also ironic how your newfound empathy conveniently leaves out the gunman... but didnt you just make the binding statements that all life is equally valuable, that all sins are forgiven when one dies (what a totally bizarre post!), and that we cannot place value judgements on others? If only you could see me smirk.

For those that are angry that i do no show "respect" for Dimebag:

How can i make this anymore clear? I do not respect him! Why on earth then would you expect me to show "respect"? He willfully chose to market and sell an image of his character and beliefs; these representations along with his actions are what I use to evaluate him. From all that he has shown (glorification of drunkeness, misogyny, support of the "johnny rebel" stereotype and the Confederacy, a role model for all angry, uneducated trash) there is nothing worthy of my respect.

And finally, I completely reject your conclusions regarding "influence= respect", "someone dying= automatic respect", or "all human life= equally valuable". Because of this we have reached an impasse. The majority on this board and I will just have to agree to disagree. However, i hope that our disagreement can be as civil as possible, and not continue down the path of petty insults and irrational shit fits. If you disagree with something i say, fine; when you counter, at least have the decency to support your claims and decisions in a logical, consistant manner.

Jesus fucking Christ just stop it. This isn't the goddamn time for your analysis of the situation. NO ONE CARES. THIS THREAD IS FOR SORROW AND GRIEF AND REMEMBERANCE AND TRIBUTE, NOT FOR YOUR PETTY BULLSHIT. TURN OFF THE COMPUTER.

Justin, I uderstand what your saying and agree with alot of it, but I really don't think it's gonna get through on a thread that is specifically made to honor the persons life

Shadowsulk, this place is for Opeth and its discussion. If you wish to cry over your hero's death, there are many better places for it. Reality is not petty; overly dramatic dirges to dead entertainers is. I suggest you turn off the computer, get some fresh air, and put things in perspective.

if you really don't care about the situation, simply don't post. i agree, all these people's anger is quite childish, but posting will only fuel that.

Personally, I'm saddened by this. he wrote some great songs, i wasn't the biggest pantera fan, but i appreciate their music. It's sad when anyone dies simply trying to play a show and entertain some fans. RIP

synergy said:
Justin, I uderstand what your saying and agree with alot of it, but I really don't think it's gonna get through on a thread that is specifically made to honor the persons life

Thanks for not immediately insulting me ;)

I understand most will continue to blow me off. I posted primarily to clear up any confusion due to previous posts, and to summarize where i stand.

Necramentia said:
if you really don't care about the situation, simply don't post. i agree, all these people's anger is quite childish, but posting will only fuel that.

Personally, I'm saddened by this. he wrote some great songs, i wasn't the biggest pantera fan, but i appreciate their music. It's sad when anyone dies simply trying to play a show and entertain some fans. RIP

I DO care about what happened. What id like to see (and what started to happen) is more of a focus on what impact this will have on music and touring in general, along side the immediate sadness.
I have no problem with people feeling loss over Dimebag; its his glorification that bothers me.

Justin's post 116 is logical and intelligent. What he said about Mr. Abbott, although uncalled for here, is accurate. I never (and still don't) had respect for his image and usually found him outright offensive. However, his guitar work was extremely influential to those of us who were teens in the early 90s. Pantera's music was a soundtrack for many an unruly and fun event.
That said, it is terrible to learn that somone has died a brutal death. It is even more terrible when you have been influenced by this person. Usually, the more "brutal" the death, the more difficult it is for mourners to process it. This is basic pyschology. From what we know, he was just playing his guitar, doing something he loved to do, and he was literally destroyed by a lunatic. His brother and other loved ones witnessed this. Dime's mysogyny and drunkeness has nothing to with it.
The bottom line is this: Dime never claimed to be a saint. And he wasn't "special". He inadvertently influenced alot of people by playing guitar. He happened to live a life that allowed him to be himself as much as he felt like it. While that doesn't conjure up feelings of respect (at least for me), you can't really blame the guy for it. He suffered a pointless and brutal murder and probably lived long enough to feel tremendous fear and pain. That is not cool. It's not cool for anyone.
Let people vent here without continuing an argument. Now's not the time.

On a slightly different note: I've been to Alrosa Villa. The place is a shithole with virtually no security. And that was in 1997! At each concert I go to, I am appaled at the lack of security measures such as metal detectors. For an event that is fueled by alcohol (judgement anyone?) and aggression (at least at metal concerts), it's simply unacceptable.
Still, I predict no changes on behalf of club owners until the government steps in with legislation.

Cheers.

Justin S. said:
Shadowsulk, this place is for Opeth and its discussion. If you wish to cry over your hero's death, there are many better places for it. Reality is not petty; overly dramatic dirges to dead entertainers is. I suggest you turn off the computer, get some fresh air, and put things in perspective.

This event pervades all of the metal community, and if this thread was out of line, it would be locked and Mike wouldn't have posted in it. Clearly this place is perfectly appropriate for this thread.

Reality is not petty, but your insistent interference in the sorrow of others in an attempt to foist your irrelevent view at them IS petty. If this thread was a forum, your posts on it would be deleted for being off-topic.

dorian gray said:
Justin's post 116 is logical and intelligent. What he said about Mr. Abbott, although uncalled for here, is accurate. I never (and still don't) had respect for his image and usually found him outright offensive. However, his guitar work was extremely influential to those of us who were teens in the early 90s. Pantera's music was a soundtrack for many an unruly and fun event.
That said, it is terrible to learn that somone has died a brutal death. It is even more terrible when you have been influenced by this person. Usually, the more "brutal" the death, the more difficult it is for mourners to process it. This is basic pyschology. From what we know, he was just playing his guitar, doing something he loved to do, and he was literally destroyed by a lunatic. His brother and other loved ones witnessed this. Dime's mysogyny and drunkeness has nothing to with it.
The bottom line is this: Dime never claimed to be a saint. And he wasn't "special". He inadvertently influenced alot of people by playing guitar. He happened to live a life that allowed him to be himself as much as he felt like it. While that doesn't conjure up feelings of respect (at least for me), you can't really blame the guy for it. He suffered a pointless and brutal murder and probably lived long enough to feel tremendous fear and pain. That is not cool. It's not cool for anyone.
Let people vent here without continuing an argument. Now's not the time.

On a slightly different note: I've been to Alrosa Villa. The place is a shithole with virtually no security. And that was in 1997! At each concert I go to, I am appaled at the lack of security measures such as metal detectors. For an event that is fueled by alcohol (judgement anyone?) and aggression (at least at metal concerts), it's simply unacceptable.
Still, I predict no changes on behalf of club owners until the government steps in with legislation.

Cheers.

Where the hell have you been?

drop me a dimebag from heaven diamond.. i only wish his murderer didnt get shot only so that the crowd could tear him to shreds