Dimmu Borgir, black metal & "Tr00-Kvlt" BM fans

Blinded By Blood said:
^this said by a "true black metaller"

Yeah, that's it. I like some black metal bands, I must be a "true black metaller." Grow up, kid. Not everyone spends their life constructing an identity built out of the music they listen to.

I'm just saying the avant garde scene in general is not only more original

There isn't an "avant-garde" scene, you ninny. The avant-garde is off somewhere making collages of fart sounds, bird noises, feedback and silence. The "scene" you reference is the trip hop scene, which isn't avant-garde, isn't original and isn't being led from the front by Ulver.

it doesn't take ideals of bands that weren't serious as gospel (venom's influence on black metal)

Kraftwerk. Thank you for playing.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
There isn't an "avant-garde" scene, you ninny. The avant-garde is off somewhere making collages of fart sounds, bird noises, feedback and silence. The "scene" you reference is the trip hop scene, which isn't avant-garde, isn't original and isn't being led from the front by Ulver.
You have no clue what trip-hop is.

Fredy_Brown said:
You have no clue what trip-hop is.

Portishead, Massive Attack etc. I suppose Ulver properly falls in with the rest of the 'post trip-hop' crowd, but we're not talking groundbreaking music here.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Portishead, Massive Attack etc. I suppose Ulver properly falls in with the rest of the 'post trip-hop' crowd, but we're not talking groundbreaking music here.
Well you know what trip-hop is but Ulver definitely doesn´t fall under that label. It´s quite difficult to define Ulver, it has lot of elemnts and every album sounds different, but labeled it post trip-hop is wrong. It is alternative/electronica, you call it alson avant-garde, but not trip hop.
Post trip-hop are Morcheeba, Alpha, Glideascope, Cibo Matto...

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Boards of Canada, etc...

Massive Attack is the best though.

Fredy_Brown said:
Well you know what trip-hop is but Ulver definitely doesn´t fall under that label. It´s quite difficult to define Ulver, it has lot of elemnts and every album sounds different, but labeled it post trip-hop is wrong. It is alternative/electronica, you call it alson avant-garde, but not trip hop.
Post trip-hop are Morcheeba, Alpha, Glideascope, Cibo Matto...

Bullshit. It's not avant-garde. Avant-garde refers specifically to music pushing the boundaries of expression, which usually means sound collage, extreme ambient forms, noise etc. Ulver fits right in with a thousand other bands making soundtracky crap out of trip-hop beats and traditional ambient technique. Boooooring.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Bullshit. It's not avant-garde. Avant-garde refers specifically to music pushing the boundaries of expression, which usually means sound collage, extreme ambient forms, noise etc. Ulver fits right in with a thousand other bands making soundtracky crap out of trip-hop beats and traditional ambient technique. Boooooring.
Avant-gardish electro-ambient sounds right to me. I won´t admit it´s trip-hop, trip hop is downtempo electronic music evolved from hip hop and house using breakbeats. But breakbeats are included in lot of electro styles, that doesn´t necessarily mean trip-hop.

Fredy_Brown said:
Avant-gardish electro-ambient sounds right to me. I won´t admit it´s trip-hop, trip hop is downtempo electronic music evolved from hip hop and house using breakbeats. But breakbeats are included in lot of electro styles, that doesn´t necessarily mean trip-hop.

How is it avant-garde ("ish" or in any other way)? The trip-hop elements are the only part of the band's current sound that emereged within the last 20 years. The rest of it was "avant-garde" in the 70s.

i read in the shoppenhaur book i carry with me at all times (cover facing away from me, so ppl can see what i'm reading), that black metal inherently posits an anti-judeo-christian world view so i don't really see what you're on abotu.

Laeth MacLaurie said:

a·vant-garde Audio pronunciation of "Avant-Garde" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ävänt-gärd, vänt-)
n.

A group active in the invention and application of new techniques in a given field, especially in the arts.

adj.

Of, relating to, or being part of an innovative group, especially one in the arts: avant-garde painters; an avant-garde theater piece.

I've always applied Avant-Garde to being relatively similar to Progressive, but in a different such way.

PB, "avant-garde" has always been used in a musical context to refer to artists on the far flung edges of experimental music. In the early 20th century, that meant, say, serialism and other attempts at absolute music. Now, the avant-garde is working mostly with noise and extreme ambient sounds.