dirge for november's appreciation thread.

Hedon-

vic firth 2b
Apr 24, 2008
many seem to dislike this song claiming its boring/repetitive or whatever, also its pretty hard for a song to be qualified as amazing when its in the same album with masterpieces like tla, bleak, the drapery falls etc., but imo this song is extremely powerful (in a depressing sort of way), ever since i checked the lyrics i get chills from this song. another thing special about this song is that the heavy part is by far the most depressing (at least for me)
what do u think?

Will every Opeth song get an appreciation thread eventually? :loco: I love "Dirge for November"s intro, that folkish interlude is beautifully performed [recently they did the same in "The Lotus Eater"], but somehow I always skip the track a while after that, I don't know why, I think I am gonna put it on right now and see if I can concentrate on it a bit.

PS Can I have "The Moor" appreciation thread

Dirge for November's a decent track, but doesn't really stand out any more than any other Opeth songs.

Apparently it's Mendez's least favourite Opeth song as well, so it's interesting you should mention the bass.

It's worth a listen for the first 3 minutes alone. Very good song.

It's indeed a great song. Damn I love how Mendez plays his bass!
I think it's his least favorite to play, ironically.

Well I'm three minutes or so in the song, vocal part just started, and I still feel the song is like, going nowhere.. it's so.. I don't know, I like the melody, the mood, the groove, but I like my Opeth to be much more varied than this.. I don't know... hard to explain.

I always have the image of some creature screaming with pain when listening to this song. The repetitive composition gives all its power and its distress. One of my favourite from BWP.

many seem to dislike this song claiming its boring/repetitive or whatever, also its pretty hard for a song to be qualified as amazing when its in the same album with masterpieces like tla, bleak, the drapery falls etc., but imo this song is extremely powerful (in a depressing sort of way), ever since i checked the lyrics i get chills from this song. another thing special about this song is that the heavy part is by far the most depressing (at least for me)
what do u think?

You pretty much said it all. I LOVE this song, the lyrics are so powerfull indeed. I get chills just thinking of it :p One of my favorite opeth tracks... Well anything from Blackwater Park is amazing really.

top 3 opeth songs for me

hours of wealth
dirge for november
patterns in the ivy 2

(atleast i think!)

Song is amazing. Such a stark comparison between the heavy and the soft. Beautiful guitar work. Mik's voice seems strained, desperate.

Always liked the kind of sick and depressing feeling it has... one of my favorites, for sure.

"The omen showed, took me away
Preparations are done, this can't last
The mere reflection brought disgust
No ordeal to conquer, this firm slit
It sheds upon the floor, dripping into a pool
Grant me sleep, take me under
Like the wings of a dove, folding around
I fade into this tender care."