Discover Opeth

It's similarly idiotic to praise a band for a new sound simply because it's different than their previous sound. There's a vast difference between building upon previous albums and shedding all the enjoyable aspects of them.

Opeth was a band who had a fucking awesome blend of melodic rock and death metal and slowly tossed off all the metal elements of their sound in the interest of incredibly uninspired "prog" sounds. No one hates on Opeth simply because they changed, the issue is that their quote-unquote "evolution" went nowhere enjoyable.

Like, there are bands like Ulcerate, Anaal Nathrakh, or Enslaved who take the sounds they began with and improve upon them. Not every attempt is a success, but it's good. Opeth did not improve. They homogenized their sound and now are a dull prog-metal wannabe. "Heritage" isn't even good on its own merits. It's dull, lifeless, and easily forgotten.

^^^^^^^

MAYH is easily the best prog death album ever. As most have said, heritage is a boring pile of crap. It has nothing to do with it being non metal, its just doesn't have the emotion you hear in older Opeth, listen to April Ethereal then listen to any song off Heritage and you will see what I mean.

I really hope Opeth doesn't continue in this direction, they have made some of the best music in metal... I watched a bunch of interviews after heritage came out and it seemed like Mikael thought of it as an album he wanted to do, and did not care what anyone else thought of it. I guess back in the day he wanted to make the best album possible, as each album got better in certain ways...

^ Easy to say that when your definition of death metal is so confused that you consider Opeth a part of the genre.

Really, it's all good besides Watershed/Ghost Reveries. Heritage is amazing in a completely different "non-metal" perspective. The earlier records obviously great for the acoustic-prog-death combo. Watershed/Ghost Reveries felt forced and something of an awkward transitional period.

Though most wont give a shit I decided to give an update

I have all of their albums except the two earliest (orchid/morningrise) and two latest (heritage/watershed)

I also went and saw them live in St Pete a few days ago. Without a doubt one of the best moments of my life. Really glad I found this band.

My favorites are still Ghost Reveries, and now BWP and Still Life. Face of Melinda is incredible.

Watershed is their weakest album in my book.

You serious? I thought Harvest was there weakest and I felt it was horrendous, maybe it's because I'm not big into the acoustic sort of tone. Not even a song that sticks out really. Maybe "The Devil's Orchid" was an exception.

Although you can't really consider it with the rest as it's totally off of what they've written in the past.

You serious? I thought Harvest was their weakest and I felt it was horrendous, maybe it's because I'm not big into the acoustic sort of tone. Not even a song that sticks out really. Maybe "The Devil's Orchid" was an exception.

Although you can't really consider it with the rest as it's totally off of what they've written in the past.

Harvest? I think you mean Heritage

Seen Opeth this past Friday at the Machine Shop in Flint, MI. It was an amazing show. The stuff off Heritage sound pretty sweet live.

I like Heritage despite feeling like it is flawed and a transitional stage for the band, but they did not play much off the album when I saw them.

Setlist in no order was something like this.

The Devil's Orchard.
Ghost Of Perdition.
Atonement.
Häxprocess.
Deliverance.
Hessian Peel.
Demon of the fall(acoustic). A section from When.
Blackwater Park.

I like Heritage despite feeling like it is flawed and a transitional stage for the band, but they did not play much off the album when I saw them.

Setlist in no order was something like this.

The Devil's Orchard.
Ghost Of Perdition.
Atonement.
Häxprocess.
Deliverance.
Hessian Peel.
Demon of the fall(acoustic). A section from When.
Blackwater Park.

Exact same set they played in Flint. Except White Cluster, Harlequin Forest, and Hope Leaves was in there too.

Ive always liked everything i've heard from Opeth. Even saw them on tour recently, (heritage) but i'm just now really starting to dissect their discography, i've been missing out i think. Only really knowing stuff like Blackwater Park album until now.