Help this noob discover real metal?

I completely agree with Hammer of Might from the first page. I got started in the Melodeath/power scene like most people, and it almost made me quit listening ot metal. The songs get tedious fast, just not as fast as new metal. I am weening one of my buddies into metal right now, and I found that Fates Warning, Satan, Manilla Road, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Helstar, etc help better because they help them understand what metal is, and when coming to death metal or black metal they can appreciate how it evolved to what it is.

Hello I'm new * wave wave * ect
First real metal song i heard was White Worms (Cryptopsy). Not a great intro for a former blues girl.
Best advice in my opinion is go to myspace, search 'metal' and listen to demos and promos. Note what you like. Or check out the numerus online radio shows n podcasts ( no ipod necessary for these - they play in any media player).

I would recomend you some REAL metal but as I can see you listen to crappy mainstream NON metal shit.
But what the hell...

Try :
Hecate enthroned
Abyssos
Emperor
Dimmu Borgir
Satyricon
Xasthur
Unholy Martimony

Lol , I'm kidding

Since you are a begginer , some Iced Earth shit would be great to set you off.
Good luck

I completely agree with Hammer of Might from the first page. I got started in the Melodeath/power scene like most people, and it almost made me quit listening ot metal. The songs get tedious fast, just not as fast as new metal. I am weening one of my buddies into metal right now, and I found that Fates Warning, Satan, Manilla Road, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Helstar, etc help better because they help them understand what metal is, and when coming to death metal or black metal they can appreciate how it evolved to what it is.

I never started with power metal. I started with thrash, some nu-metal and stoner/doom.

Opeth can indeed be very evil sounding, although not in the same way as a Black metal band. The vocals for instance are some of the most powerful in metal and they really have a dark, eerie, evil sound that can be enhanced by the intricate guitar riffs and soundscapes

Opeth can indeed be very evil sounding, although not in the same way as a Black metal band. The vocals for instance are some of the most powerful in metal and they really have a dark, eerie, evil sound that can be enhanced by the intricate guitar riffs and soundscapes

opeth is a fantastic band... every one of their songs (well majority of their songs) is an incredible, immersive experience

that's what I love about great metal... it makes you totally forget about reality :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

alot of black metal has more of an epic feel than an evil feel