Do ideologies in metal--religious, social, or otherwise--affect what you listen to?

That's a very good point.

It's possible to see metal's shunning of lyrical enunciation/importance as going hand-in-hand with the shunning of accessibility. After all, the thing that non-metallers hate most about metal is the vocals...everyone says 'well you can't hear what they're saying! that's crap!'...maybe that's exactly the point. It alienates people who aren't of the metal ideology to start with, and then encourages further investigation if a listener so wishes. I think it's all part of the metal construct to repel the mainstream and stimulate deeper exploration of disturbing things. Of course, a lot of metal bands have awful lyrics anyway....and it's even clearer that lyrics are unimportant to a lot of metal bands themselves because you can easily tell when a band puts no effort into them.....in which case it's obvious that metal is very much about the music primarily....and the music of course largely speaks it's own harsh, rebellious tale. =)

I'm listening to mercyful fate right now and some of the lyrics are really about nothing, so what? I think most metal lyrics are like sci-fi or fantasy genre movies and books. They are an escape from the mundane and every day reality. They may not be sociopolitical like some punk lyrics used to be (and may still be), but they offer a nice diversion from the atrocity that is pop music. There are many metal bands where I can not understand what the hell the vocalist is singing about, especially if their command of English is limited, but it is really more about the feel of the music and how it affects me more than the lyrics. That said, there are some really powerful songs out there where the lyrics are an integral part of the appeal of the song and the band.

speed said:
if i may make a generalization- I have noticed that most underground metal fans, really care most about the music- lyrics are always secondary to the music- whereas most music fans- especially rap and pop fans- find the lyrics to be more important than the music.

Take a look at the people who enthusiastically downplayed the role of lyrics in this topic.

Sculpted COld brings up a very very good point- I have always noticed that non metal fans hate the fact that they cant understand the lyrics- "what the hell is he saying" Even AC Dc is too much for these people( I know many people who feel this way). Maybe this is the problem that should be addressed by bands that want to get popular- then again a few popular nu metal bands like Linkin Park, System of a Down and Mudvayne- are introducing screaming etc.- something that was never present before.

Dreamlord said:
Lyrics don't affect my music choices in the least, as they shouldn't

agree 100!

----
i was thinking...

"I don't listen to manowar becose i'm pro animal rights... and they talk about killing dragons.... I preffer Cannibal Corpse, cause i'm not 'human rights fan', i preffer to rape a corpse than harm a poor and lonenly dragon"

sarcasm..

I don't really care about the religious beliefs of the artists that make metal music and I don't mind worship or religious based stories in the lyrics. What I don't tolerate is anyone (including a metal band) trying to force their opinion on me ala preaching to me. I also won't listen to things like burning witches or killing Christians either. If they can't come up with something better than that, I'm not interested.
I don't subscribe to any particular religion, but I am certainly not anti-religion in my beliefs either. I just don't usually care to talk about something that is a non-issue to me.
If someone actually believes metal is based on such complete fucking non-sense such as "religion" more power to them, but I find that in my collection, more of the bands I listen to either use it little or use it ambiguously opening the listener to their own interpretation ofthe lyrics.

Bryant

As far as social issues, I do often enjoy lyrics with a "social conscience." I don't listen to a band based on their lyrical topics, but it's a plus for bands to send a message that is positive. Unlike religion, some of the social issues in our society can be seen and felt and are quite tangible. I don't want those issues to be overdone as there are other things I would like to hear, but I don't mind a song or two that tackles the band's feelings on social issues.

Bryant