Do themes such as Satanism or Anti-Christianity Affect Your Metal Preferences?

I feel just the opposite. I don't feel that it is necessary for a band to take the subject matter of satanism seriously to write about it anymore than it is for an author or filmmaker who makes dark horror movies and books to be satan worshipers.
Metal is after all entertainment. I don't listen to metal to join a cult. I like dark evil music for the same reason I like dark evil movies.Nether has anything to do with whether or not the writer believes in and or worships evil as entity or not.

On the other hand I sure don't want some fool that is really serious about christianity yelling jesus is love, jesus saves blab blab blab over and over again
on one my cds.If it is done in a none intrusive intelligent manner like say someone like the band Trouble does it thats fine. I like Trouble a lot and have 4 of their cds.

:)

On the other hand I sure don't want some fool that is really serious about christianity yelling jesus is love, jesus saves blab blab blab over and over again
on one my cds.If it is done in a none intrusive intelligent manner like say someone like the band Trouble does it thats fine. I like Trouble a lot and have 4 of their cds.

You better not listen to "Jesus Saves" by Slayer then. :p Lol, I actually agree with you though, and Trouble's early stuff is really more "intrusive" compared to some of the other Christian metal bands out there. I think Saviour Machine's first two albums are some of the most intelligent and non-intrusive Christian music ever recorded. It's not exactly metal, which means it may not be of your taste, but it's still great.

My main point is just that metal needs more intellectual lyrical topics. The Satanism thing and anti-Christian stuff have been done to death. With a world this big and with this many pleasures, problems, and possibilities, why not branch out a little more?

Reactions: Demilich
The basis on anti - religion doesn't affect me, if the lyrics are anti christian but are well scripted i'll like them.

I prefer bands who's ideas are created through Concept, Nature etc...

Some people find it strange when others moan about the lyrical content of bands and they say things like "why do you care" and "it's just about the music".

Well yes and no.

The music is obviously the centrally important thing, and I would not reject a band because of its lyrical themes, if the music was unmissable.

However, lyrical themes are important in adding to a band and potentially raising its effectiveness. For example, I don't want to listen to any band spew ridiculous lyrics about gore. This is not metal to me, it is retarded and gay. On the other hand, anti-christian themes completely correlate to metal's message in my view, and however immaturely they may be written, they will always be more worthwhile than shitty gore lyrics for me.

Lyrics don't mean much to me; there are some bands I've been listening to for a long time and I still don't know a single word they're saying. Usually I only care about bands' lyrics that are trying to create a cohesive work of literary art. If there's a band that does gore lyrics (which I hate) that makes good music, then I'll listen to it anyway.

I have never heard a christian metal band that was actually musically quality or anything special so it's not that i'm just turned off by lyrics. On my perception anti-religious bands seem to be the best musicians in the spectrum of heavy music. Living Sacrifice which is one of the bigger chrisitian bands for example is about as musically generic and typical as one gets. I think their message is getting in the way of playing instruments.

I have never heard a christian metal band that was actually musically quality or anything special so it's not that i'm just turned off by lyrics.

Yea you have, you just didn't know they were christian because they aren't all obvious about it. Especially with the older bands, a LOT of them are believers.

Living Sacrifice which is one of the bigger chrisitian bands for example is about as musically generic and typical as one gets. I think their message is getting in the way of playing instruments.

I've always thought their music has been criminally overrated too. Every single album they released, with the possible exception of Reborn, has been modeled exactly after secular bands and so they're usually just a lesser imitation of the real thing.

I have never heard a christian metal band that was actually musically quality or anything special so it's not that i'm just turned off by lyrics. On my perception anti-religious bands seem to be the best musicians in the spectrum of heavy music.

Well you're The Greys, who cares what you think?

I've always thought their music has been criminally overrated too. Every single album they released, with the possible exception of Reborn, has been modeled exactly after secular bands and so they're usually just a lesser imitation of the real thing.

True... I enjoyed the first album quite a bit though... despite it being an obvious Slayer carbon copy. Hey... maybe that's why I like it in the first place!

Some people find it strange when others moan about the lyrical content of bands and they say things like "why do you care" and "it's just about the music".

Well yes and no.

The music is obviously the centrally important thing, and I would not reject a band because of its lyrical themes, if the music was unmissable.

However, lyrical themes are important in adding to a band and potentially raising its effectiveness. For example, I don't want to listen to any band spew ridiculous lyrics about gore. This is not metal to me, it is retarded and gay. On the other hand, anti-christian themes completely correlate to metal's message in my view, and however immaturely they may be written, they will always be more worthwhile than shitty gore lyrics for me.

I'm the exact opposite. I find gore lyrics to be awesome. Carcass and County Medical Examiners write gore lyrics that are intelligent and thought-provoking.

however, even as a grindcore fan (a lot of grind is political) I can't stand pro-feminist Amazonian chestbeating yrics like those of crust bands like Anti-Product. that shit is just gay.

I have never heard a christian metal band that was actually musically quality or anything special so it's not that i'm just turned off by lyrics. On my perception anti-religious bands seem to be the best musicians in the spectrum of heavy music. Living Sacrifice which is one of the bigger chrisitian bands for example is about as musically generic and typical as one gets. I think their message is getting in the way of playing instruments.
Living Sacrifice isn't a very good example. You should listen to Sympathy and all the others that I mentioned earlier.

-What are your views on the above topics in metal? For me, if the music is good I'm good. But sometimes It gets a little too extreme for me, with bands like Dark Funeral, whose music I can listen too.

Overt Christianity turns me right off.(Trouble,Stryper).
Announced conversions turn me off (Araya, McBrain).
I'm just pretty anti-Christianity.

-Also, do you listen to metal for those things? Alot of extreme metalheads listen to Satanism for the message.

I listen to black metal in part for the Satanism for sure. It's religious.