Do you believe?

RookParliament said:
Prince Vigo: On a mountain of skulls, in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
Only a Carpathian would come back to life now and choose New York. Tasty pick, bonehead! If you had brain one in that huge melon on top of your neck, you would be living the sweet life out in southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

hehe the ghostbusters movies were great indeed. shame they didn't make more of them... but of course if they did now it would likely be crap

NeverIsForever said:
but there is no proof they don't.
that's not *quite* how it works.

to answer your question: no, but I think it would be cool to be one. Hell, I could be one right now. There's no proof that I'm *not* ;)

There is no proof of invisible unicorns that shit bubblegum but there is also no proof that they don't exist. And sometimes things happen that can only be explained by invisible unicorns, such as the origins of bubblegum

Jon Snow said:
So you need fairy tales to make you happy? That sounds pretty miserable to me.
No, but believing that, say, a freak accident tomorrow could be the end of existance for you completely, is pretty unassuring. I just like to think there is more than what we see and know.

Phew close call there, we were a tick away from turning this into an anti-religion thread. Don't want to recite one of those. The agnostics and atheists always win.

I used to be pretty cynical and presume there was nothing after life but oblivion, but now I'm keeping an open mind. Of course I don't consider those bullshit 'heaven and hell' taradiddles valid by any means. They were always more of a tool to give the masses direction, and promote more 'virtuous' behaviour. It's quite sad people still cling onto those antiquated threads of belief.

But back on track... The matter that makes up your body is still there, even after you die. Your organs don't function, but who's to say how transcendant consciousness is? We can't even quantify it for starters. I think it's just as ignorant to dismiss some form of more 'eventful' afterlife, as it is to solely cling onto the belief of one. Be content in unknowing.

Moonlapse said:
Your organs don't function, but who's to say how transcendant consciousness is? We can't even quantify it for starters. I think it's just as ignorant to dismiss some form of more 'eventful' afterlife, as it is to solely cling onto the belief of one. Be content in unknowing.
End of thread.

zakk wylde child laiho said:
noone has common sense. everyone has sinned. we are all wrong. we are all imperfect. we don't know anything. fact is only person that does is God. cuz he created everything. only way to know anything is to admit that you know nothing and submit to God cuz he died for us, so that our imperfect sinful nature was put on HIM. thats the real meaning of life. he sacrificed himself so that we would live! all you have to do is admit you are wrong, and acknowledge him. sad thing is, everyone thinks they are right and they have everything figured out.

didnt mean to call out trey, but it illustrates my point.yes demons and angels are real. that accounts for the "unexplained." and when you die, you go to heaven or hell. if you try to live your life by your own rules, then im sorry, but you'll never find "happiness." i know cuz ive seen it in my own life. lusting living for my own pleasure, drinking etc. it never satisfies. only one thing will ever satisfy...eternally! anyways. thats all i have to say.

thats the truth. flame away!

The truth according to a book which has been re-written so many times it barely contains any truth anymore!

Organised religion creates and intensifies greed, war, sexism and racism. It is the single most destructive power in the history of civilisation. It has raped more women, killed more children, burned more homes, destroyed other cultures and stunted progression of knowledge than anything else in existence.

Organised religion's main purpose is to divide and segregate, to split civilisation into "lower" and "upper" rather than promote equality.

A set of morals it may have been in the beginning, but that now is no more!

It is a form of CONTROL, it is designed to create herd mentality and stunt individuality! Religion is a form of blindness, it is a form of weakness because people have no faith in themselves, so look to something (or someone) else to justify themselves.

Religion is the single biggest evil in civilisation today!

//end rant.

Go for it kids, I'm waiting for the flames to char! ;-)

The Hubster said:
The truth according to a book which has been re-written so many times it barely contains any truth anymore!

Organised religion creates and intensifies greed, war, sexism and racism. It is the single most destructive power in the history of civilisation. It has raped more women, killed more children, burned more homes, destroyed other cultures and stunted progression of knowledge than anything else in existence.

Organised religion's main purpose is to divide and segregate, to split civilisation into "lower" and "upper" rather than promote equality.

A set of morals it may have been in the beginning, but that now is no more! Religion is the single biggest evil in civilisation today.

//end rant.

I would have to agree.

Now - as far as ghosts go:

I definitely believe in the metaphysical. I don't believe science has the upper hand, or that metaphysics does. I think perhaps one cannot exist without the other, they work in concert.

We have the medical sciences of our bodies, but what of our spirits? (Touching briefly here) I think that our souls once leaving our bodies to go to another plane of existence. I don't think it's one we can comprehend while being trapped in our bodies, which could be an anchor for our soul while the body exists.

Our soul has no physical substance in my opinion, it is purely metaphysical and composed of something which is all and nothing. Nondescriptive in our current lives...

dorian gray said:
that's not *quite* how it works.

then please enlighten me and explain how exactly it does work. consider the okapi, or the duck-billed platypus. for years no one could prove they actually existed and were not hoaxes thought up by someone with a creative mind and too much time on their hands. now their existence is beyond debate as you can see them for yourself in zoos. i will believe in ghosts until (if and when) there is hard evidence to the contrary

Moonlapse said:
Phew close call there, we were a tick away from turning this into an anti-religion thread. Don't want to recite one of those. The agnostics and atheists always win.

I've been in religious discussions where they didn't always win. One was with a guy who's very intelligent and is an atheism scholar. The fact is, while they have the upper hand in the 'no one has seen God' issue...they can't fight the issue that as humans we really have no idea how this incredibly complex universe works. They seem to think they've figured it all out, but yet the most intelligent scientists can barely scratch the surface of how the brain works. For any human to think they 'know' there's no God, no afterlife, and nothing beyond what we know in this tiny little world of ours is absurd. IMO of course.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Seth

NeverIsForever said:
then please enlighten me and explain how exactly it does work. consider the okapi, or the duck-billed platypus. for years no one could prove they actually existed and were not hoaxes thought up by someone with a creative mind and too much time on their hands. now their existence is beyond debate as you can see them for yourself in zoos. i will believe in ghosts until (if and when) there is hard evidence to the contrary

Ummm...ppl making the assertions have the burden of proof.

I believe in purple flying elephants! I will continue to do so until someone can prove me wrong!

See how ridiculous you sound?

Looking for a Job said:
i think an atheist's main argument is that since there is no proof of a god, there's no reason to believe in a god. also no proof of an afterlife. so why should they think there's a god? because the bible says so? to me it seems ridiculous to think there's some being who watches over everything you do and judges you for it after you die. the "creator" thing i can buy to a certain extent, because no one has any clue whatsoever how the universe was created, but the whole heaven and hell thing is a bit too far fetched

I can agree with that to a degree, and I don't think people should believe in God(or a higher power/creator) because the Bible says so. Atheists certainly won't give any credence to the Bible, my personal views on that probably should stay that way. But to think there's no more of a powerful intelligence in the universe than what we humans can muster is crazy.

The 'heaven and hell' thing was derived more from man's imagination and complete misinterpertation of the Bible. Not to say there aren't higher spiritual realms(again, how can we dismiss the possibility)...but our views and opinions of them are likely way off.

Seth

The Hubster said:

It is a form of CONTROL, it is designed to create herd mentality and stunt individuality! Religion is a form of blindness, it is a form of weakness because people have no faith in themselves, so look to something (or someone) else to justify themselves.

//end rant.

interesting post. i think i basically agree with you.

The Hubster said:

//end rant.

agree. religion is one of the worst stumbling blocks in the world today. people try to live their lives based on what someone is telling them, and a defined set of rules from a church. that is not what it's all about. it is about a personal relationship with your Saviour Jesus Christ. a lot of people "believe" and have "religion", but they have never prayed to God and asked him for forgiveness, and they have never entered into a personal relationship with him. so now you have all these churches and religious groups, who many of them are just there to socialize or to pretend. and that includes a large amount of the christian church. the thing to base it on is action. if someone has the holy spirit in them, you will know. a lot of churches today are being blinded by societys "tolerant" attitude and arent living by the spirit. you can tell when someone is, because they are bold and passionate and speak the truth.

and when you talk about faith in themselves, and individuality....noone is perfect, and we are all wrong. we have all sinned and are unworthy to be in God's presence. only way is the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. that freed us from our sins. he paid the penalty for every sin you are ever going to commit. that nawing in the back of your mind, that you know is the truth that you wont acknowledge..if you listen to it, and admit that their is a higher power than yourself, and to submit to Him, you will receive LIFE.

not flaming on anyone, just saying what i know to be the truth. hope all of you agree with me one day.

I do believe in GHOSTS...........yes they are around us........and Ive had times where I was certian there was someon else in teh house besides just me.........PEAC EOUT

zakk wylde child laiho said:
a lot of churches today are being blinded by societys "tolerant" attitude and arent living by the spirit. you can tell when someone is, because they are bold and passionate and speak the truth.

Someone that's bold and passionate and speaks the truth...George Carlin.

"I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate."

"Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you."

Looking for a Job said:

I simply believe that because of the complexity of our bodies, the animal kingdom, the planet and the entire universe. Atheists will say it all came about by chance, but it's impossible for me to believe there was no higher power and intelligence that created such complexity.

Someone said that would be the equivelant of a tornado tearing through a junk yard and the final outcome of the chaos is the Taj Mahal.

Seth