• Real Drums

Votes: 86 83.5%
  • Programmed Drums

Votes: 17 16.5%

• Total voters

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
Do you prefer real, recorded drums without samples or all-programmed drums and why?

As with most things, entirely dependent on the project. I wouldn't program drums if I was recording a jazz band with a really good drummer, but if I was recording a shitty teen deathcore band that can't play for shit, I'd be forced to program drums. As for what I prefer to hear, I really don't care, as long as there is some amount of groove and it sounds good.

Real drums of course. But if its typical metalcore you could easily just program the drums because they just play 4/4 with complex kick drum patterns haha.
I think the difference big difference is in the OH, even though you can quantize the drums 100% and replace kick and snare you still manage to get some feel out of tthe drums if its a real drummer playing it.

In genre's of music that requires people to actually play it live? I don't think that is even a question.

Unfortunately, many of us have to use programmed drums. But, technology has come a long way since the old drum machines.

Real drums can be made to sound more "fake" (i.e. quantization and sample replacing) if necessary but it's VERY hard to make programmed drums sound even remotely real imo.

Real overheads consistently destroy programmed overheads too.

Real drums can be made to sound more "fake" (i.e. quantization and sample replacing) if necessary but it's VERY hard to make programmed drums sound even remotely real imo.

Real overheads consistently destroy programmed overheads too.

yeah the cymbals are what's thus far impossible to get 100% right with programming.

Unfortunately, many of us have to use programmed drums. But, technology has come a long way since the old drum machines.

like EZDrummer, for instance. if i had more space (and the skills), i would, without a shadow of doubt, be using real drums. but, shit like this does act as a good substitute for the real thing. but that's just me.

I think it mainly depends on the style of music. Any type of metal I will use programmed drums. I don't think there is anyone who will talk me out of that. I would most likely use programmed for pop rock such as All American Rejects, you know those kinds of bands. Other than that real drums
When it comes down to it though, my drum recording skill just sucks. So that influences my opinion a lot.

real overheads >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> programmed.
you have to put so much effort into making programmed drums good, and even then it's anoying at some spots when you hear that they are programmed.