Do you prefer real or programmed drums?

Which one?

• Real Drums

Votes: 86 83.5%
  • Programmed Drums

Votes: 17 16.5%

• Total voters
Revised answer: For Metal, triggered with real overheads if you can get it..
Everything else: Real.. But I really wish I had the ability to make real drums sound good.. I can't get those bastards to sound good no matter how many tutorial videos I watch..

It's all about perspective and foresight. Raw drum tracks will never ever ever sound as good as you always expect them to, you've got all the tracks bleeding etc. a few resonances. All you can do is foresee the potential within the raw unprocessed acoustics, that only comes with a bit of experience, but you just need to give it a go and get it wrong to get it right afterwards. Sometimes shit just doesn't work, sometimes it does. Depends on a lot of variables really.

I am a true metalhead.

So I prefer real drums edited, tweaked and destroyed to the point they sound programmed.

That's a real perversion, and that's the EVIL point.

:Smokedev:

As for the metal music, the best looking real ones have tendencies to look like the plastic ones. Sign of the times...

BTW the question was about tracking, mixing, composing...?
I use to program drums to write music as the most of us I guess but for anything else and as far as we talk about drum sound, I definitely prefer to work with drums and drummers, not with computers and softwares.

I PREFER real drums but don't have the mics/space/living environment/experience to record them. :(
I want to so bad.

I do like programmed drums as they make tracking demos and pre pros a breeze plus you don't have to slip edit... ;)

Revised answer: For Metal, triggered with real overheads if you can get it..
Everything else: Real.. But I really wish I had the ability to make real drums sound good.. I can't get those bastards to sound good no matter how many tutorial videos I watch..

The trick is to get the drums themselves sounding good. Then it's as simple as a putting a mic on it. The TuneBot is amazing for this purpose.

http://www.tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf

Do you prefer real, recorded drums without samples or all-programmed drums and why?

It's an unfair question. I like neither for metal. My preference is real, recorded drums WITH some samples. I almost always add a snare and bass (and sometimes toms) sample to each hit to enhance them, but do not ever replace them. The overheads keep the live groove of a real drummer, the samples create a consistancy that makes the listening experience more intense.

Remember, you only have to entertain your fans with you live performance. You have to impress them with your recordings because that's what they're going to be listening to over and over again.

Real drums. I personally cannot wait until the Toontrack-drum-sound goes the way of the dinosaur. Years from now people will look back on these records the same way we look back at 80s butt-rock records now.

It's funny how everyone chases these super-polished hyper-clean drum sounds (including me sometimes) but all of my favorite records (and many of the timeless, classic rock records throughout the years) have natural sounding drums. Listening to over sampled/edited drums is like eating too much candy, it's impressive at first but pretty soon you're just sick of it. Maybe it's because I'm more of a progressive/hardcore/indie guy and not so much a metal guy.