Do you prefer real or programmed drums?

Which one?

• Real Drums

Votes: 86 83.5%
  • Programmed Drums

Votes: 17 16.5%

• Total voters
Our job is to make the music that we record sound as good as possible. It's not to digitally recreate the music that somebody else has played. Some times it's necessary, but I don't think my enthusiasm for the job would last more than 2-3 years if I went over to using programmed drums and editing EVERYTHING. I do have the privilege of a GREAT room though, and I usually work with good musicians. So I have it easy.

I prefer real drums, although I´m okay with programmed drums in songs who aren´t supposed to be that adrenaline-impregnated. Sometimes you need a strong foundation, especially when working with non-professional bands! There were times, I programmed kick and snare and doing some overdubs afterwards. All is possible! Depends on the song and the goal imo.

I prefer real drums always. However, I have recorded a TONNNNNN of drummers in my years, and sometimes I do wish I could get a band or two that needed programmed drums just to avoid all the shit that comes with real drum tracks :lol:

When it comes to metal I prefer a hybrid approach, usually sampling the kick and blending a snare. Nothing beats real overheads though, but I really hate it when the drummer uses crappy gear and asks me if I can make his cymbals sound better...

Rock music real all the way! Maybe some minor editing if it needs it to help stay to tempo.

I'm a complete noob, but I definitely prefer programmed drums for all but the final recording. It's the biggest pain in the ass there is, and there's no point in doing it over and over and over again, at least not at my level.

Programmed. Because I don't have a mixer, I don't have many mics, I don't have the room, I don't have knowledge and I don't have the cash. EzDrummer & Metal Machine $160 AUS. And I'll say it again. I'll take a good written drum pattern and timing over a great drum sound and a mediocre written and perfomed human piece.

This is the only reason I don't do real drums, I simply don't have the mics for it. I'm considering focusing on getting a real good OH sound and triggering the rest, but thats still not something I'm in a position to do yet.

Hybrid. Samples played on an e-kit thru a drum vsti, then edited via midi. Best of both worlds. Not to say I have one yet, but prefer is the operative word.

Programmed. I wished every drummer would play e-drums. Everything about drums annoys me.

Why do we need such a big mixer? Drums.

Why do we have feedback? Drums.

Why do we have destroyed backs? Drums.

Why do wee need 2 cars? Drums.

Why do my ears ring? Drums.

Why can't I often here myself while singing? Drums.

Why did I have to buy a expensive PA then? Drums.

Why don't we still play with clicktracks? Drummer...

Oh man...

Revised answer: For Metal, triggered with real overheads if you can get it..
Everything else: Real.. But I really wish I had the ability to make real drums sound good.. I can't get those bastards to sound good no matter how many tutorial videos I watch..

Sample the kit. Then you can have it any way you want it.

I prefer good drummers and a week long tracking period. I have a day job, so I'm not working for the money. Go and actually watch a few shows featuring your clients, you'll quickly see the caliber of musicians you are (potentially) working with. Of course, if it's the money, I can dig a cold-hard-cash sum sounding exactly thus. Actual preference? Programmed.

No question that I would prefer to record real drums. Problem is I can't do so as of yet. As it stands in my situation, I personally can't even get close to being in the same ballpark of quality that say, Slate is in. Programming the drums and editing velocities for 3 fortnights isn't exactly pleasurable and the ass worthy overheads certainly aren't doing it for me but it's my best option. For now.

I prefer my programmed drums to sound like real drums :lol:

I'd love to get a real drummer in a studio with proper equipment to record it, never had the chance, would love just for the learning experience.