Do you speak with an accent?

cookiecutter said:
I'm curious, in Sweden do they use British spellings (i.e centre, labour) or American spellings (center, labor)

Im born in 1983 and when I started to learn english we learned it the british way. I started to learn english in the fourth grade (which was standard) which is when the children are 10 and 11 years old I believe. This continued at least until the 6th grade. Then Im not sure but somewhere in between grade 7 and 9 I think things started to mix up a little bit. I think it partially had to do with me getting a younger teacher, especially in grade 9.

At least from grade 9 and then the whole of what we call "gymnasiet" (basically 3 more years in school after grade 9) we could use whatever we prefered. On a test it was alright to write both "colour" and "color" for example.

Ever since this thread was created I started noticing how southern a lot of Marylanders sound. The only time I ever sound the slightest bit southern is when I'm talking fast or not paying attention, all I do is pronounce "eh" as "uh". In New Jersey people said me and my brother had southern accents, but it was weird to us because their accents sounded exactly the same as ours.

@ Neurotica: Are Ukrainian and Russian mutually intelligible?

Well Boothbay is full of people who cater to the tourist industry, or who are people who moved there/summer residents. My island quadruples its population every summer because of seasonal people. I see Boothbay across the bay from my house, actually. I go to Boothbay harbor sometimes for dinner by boat.
What is the name of the town/island where you live? I'm pretty familiar with the area.

And a lot of the year round residents in Boothbay have been in Maine for generations. So, aside from the tourist industry, it's a typical rural smalltown. Most people are in the fishing industry, work for the local government (fire, police, etc.), run local mom and pop businesses, or work in home services (plumber, electrician, roofing, etc.). There are no corporate jobs anywhere closeby in such an isolated area.

The tourist industry isn't corporate, I knew that. It's how those mom & pop operations survive, to serve the summer residents mostly.

I live on Westport Island.

Officially, I'd say it's the British spelling, but among the people (especially the young) the American prevails.

I find Sweden really interesting in terms of that stuff.

At uni I know two Swedish girls. One speaks like an American with nasal congestion and the other speaks like she's from the Oxford-Cambridge-London triangle. It's funny to listen to.

Are Ukrainian and Russian mutually intelligible?
Pretty much. But most ukrainians know Russian and most russians don't know Ukrainian.
I speak Russian for life, although I live in Ukraine. Same with most of my friends.

You also have different alphabet then Russians don't you? (Drudkh booklets :p)

I find Sweden really interesting in terms of that stuff.

At uni I know two Swedish girls. One speaks like an American with nasal congestion and the other speaks like she's from the Oxford-Cambridge-London triangle. It's funny to listen to.

I'd imagine. Most Swedes I've met speak with a distinct "Swedish" accent, though, unless they've been living abroad.