Do you still listen to Watershed?

^^^ Matter of fact, Opeth aren't changing from album to album just for the sake of making a change. Every album who followed are just as good (with even more "messages", "tone" and "concept"). So I guess Opeth's music isn't "taking a beating".

There is NO majority on this forum for a certain album. And Still Life maybe did won every polls (haven't checked them all, maybe did you?), but I'm sure it wasn't by far.

+1 to Bleakest Harvest.

well recognized by people on this forum. i don't really care what the band thinks, i'm the listener. i would absolutely despise if they made still life over and over again, but i would rather it to opeth making random albums with no concept, message, or tone, simply to say "hey, we haven't made this album before!". when you're consciously making albums differently for the sake of the band's progression, that's when you know the music is taking a beating.

hmm, well, ok. Clearly we're not going to agree on much here as I would hardly call the albums subsequent to Still life as being "random"...they also sound totally uncontrived to me...so, there you go....like all Art...it's just opinions.

Though I'm right of course.

well recognized by people on this forum. i don't really care what the band thinks, i'm the listener. i would absolutely despise if they made still life over and over again, but i would rather it to opeth making random albums with no concept, message, or tone, simply to say "hey, we haven't made this album before!". when you're consciously making albums differently for the sake of the band's progression, that's when you know the music is taking a beating.

Totally agree. Before Watershed, Opeth used to be able to pull off alot of things without making me think - "now that just sounds pretentious/gratuitous etc". This changed with WS, and I just don't feel it's a particularly natural progression, more a strained one.

imo

Care to respond to my last post?

not really. you're under some weird impression that i don't understand your points, when in all reality we are arguing over semantical bullshit. your friends who think differently constitute the exception i referred to a few times. does it mean that they are fanboys? no. does it disprove my notion that 99% of people who have been around for a while strongly prefer the SL era of opeth? no.

^^^ Matter of fact, Opeth aren't changing from album to album just for the sake of making a change. Every album who followed are just as good (with even more "messages", "tone" and "concept"). So I guess Opeth's music isn't "taking a beating".

There is NO majority on this forum for a certain album. And Still Life maybe did won every polls (haven't checked them all, maybe did you?), but I'm sure it wasn't by far.

+1 to Bleakest Harvest.

i can assure you (please, don't take my word, go search for the numerous "best album" polls we have on this forum every few months) that for years, the consensus has been and is always still life.

by the way have you ever considered constructing a proper argument? when one says something that you want to debate, think about it, don't post that "you think differently". that part is obvious, your reasoning is never obvious.

i can assure you (please, don't take my word, go search for the numerous "best album" polls we have on this forum every few months) that for years, the consensus has been and is always still life.

and that's precisely the reason why polls suck.

how about a poll for the best song ever written. or the best book ever. or the best movie.

let the majority decide, the rest will surely SUCK!
don't you agree? :rolleyes:

no, i don't agree. you've misinterpreted practically everything there is to misinterpret.

polls are just one example of the consensus among seasoned fans. never did i explicitly state or imply that my argument revolves around some polls. in fact the consensus extends far beyond UM. you chould check music review sites too.

also you're a dumbass nasty-fire

well recognised by who?..the most important people here, which is the band actually as it's their music, don't agree.... Would you have preferred Opeth to keep making Still Life over and over again?

Oddly enough, I tend to think that it's the "Opeth is MY band" type of people who think Still Life is the best album...for me, Deliverance, GR, BWP and Watershed are better..but we are talking small margins..they're all great.

When Opeths next album starts sounding like a previous album, THEN the band will have gone over their peak...

I agree with almost everything you say. However the "Opeth is my band" bit is bollocks, I know a lot of people who are not nearly as fanatic as myself when it comes to Opeth but pretty much all of them agree that SL is clearly the best. I personally like Watershed, but SL is leagues ahead for me and the majority. There is no weak track like porcelain heart or coil on SL and even those songs are much better than the vast majority of music out there, they just dont compare to a single SL track.

polls are just one example of the consensus among seasoned fans. never did i explicitly state or imply that my argument revolves around some polls. in fact the consensus extends far beyond UM. you chould check music review sites too.

Do you know what the general consensus was when John Carpenter's The Thing was released and how well that movie did in theaters?
(it blew in theaters)

Why should *I* care about the general consensus?

watershed has gathered critical acclaim since it's release in most major mainstream sites/magazines.

*you* don't have to care about the general consensus. the point is that an overwhelming majority of opeth fans prefer the SL era to the modern era, and this is obviously for a reason that certain mindless fanboys can't comprehend.

watershed has gathered critical acclaim since it's release in most major mainstream sites/magazines.

Precisely what I was getting at, thanks.

So now you use the polls, generals consensus, reviews and what not as a ground for your argument when it suits your views.
You're kind of inconsistent, aren't you?:rolleyes:

*you* don't have to care about the general consensus. the point is that an overwhelming majority of opeth fans prefer the SL era to the modern era, and this is obviously for a reason that certain mindless fanboys can't comprehend.

Yes. :worship:

You have more right to judge and appreciate Opeth's music than anyone else here. :worship:

No one can honestly like Watershed.

OBEY! :worship:

not really. you're under some weird impression that i don't understand your points, when in all reality we are arguing over semantical bullshit. your friends who think differently constitute the exception i referred to a few times. does it mean that they are fanboys? no. does it disprove my notion that 99% of people who have been around for a while strongly prefer the SL era of opeth? no.

:lol:

Well, it's hard not to be under that impression when you keep missing the fact that I've already stated that basically I agree with you on that notion.

And excuse me for taking you at your word. You can call it semantics if it's convenient.

My point was that this was an idiotic thing to say:

So if you happen to prefer Watershed to Still Life, you must be some crazed fanboy?

yes

Precisely what I was getting at, thanks.

So now you use the polls, generals consensus, reviews and what not as a ground for your argument when it suits your views.
You're kind of inconsistent, aren't you?:rolleyes:

Yes. :worship:

You have more right to judge and appreciate Opeth's music than anyone else here. :worship:

No one can honestly like Watershed.

OBEY! :worship:

oh for fucks sake, how much more obvious can it be that i'm speaking of the opinions of watershed ON THIS FORUM. the only reason i pointed out that watershed has garnered critical acclaim was to show that it really has nothing in common with our argument. and we're not speaking of critical acclaim or box office flops anyways. get with it dumbass, no one else is asking where im getting my info from because it's absolutely implied.

but...if you want to take a look at critical acclaim as a means of objectifying how much better SL is, then do it. check out critic sites, you'll see it's a consensus there as well. there's no inconsistency here, in fact it's consensus from basically all sources.

oh for fucks sake, how much more obvious can it be that i'm speaking of the opinions of watershed ON THIS FORUM. the only reason i pointed out that watershed has garnered critical acclaim was to show that it really has nothing in common with our argument. and we're not speaking of critical acclaim or box office flops anyways. get with it dumbass.

Chill.

Who made you a spokesperson of this forum?

And you didn't tell me why should *I* care about *your* opinion when *I* enjoy Heir Apparent and Burden and think that both of these songs are on par with the musical quality that Opeth showed on Still Life?

get with it dumbass.

lol there you go again. i'm just a guy who has been here for long enough to realize certain facts: mainly SL's superiority to modern opeth and the consensus associated with it. i also enjoy heir apparent and burden as much as some tracks on still life. but guess what? no one is arguing that.

besides; coil, porcelain heart and hex omega pretty much blow. asshole.