Do you still listen to Watershed?

i can tell you with 99% certainty that someone who has been into opeth for more than 5 years will prefer either MR/MAYH/SL/BWP to watershed. it's that simple because the difference is that obvious in people who have been around long enough. hell, i got into opeth when BWP was released, but i still preferred still life.

what I can tell you with 99% certainty is that your argument is totally irrelevant.

Burden is a much better song than Benighted. It's far more though upon, developed a executed. It features great guitar solo, an awesome keyboard solo and amazing drumming. As a matter of fact for the exact same reasons Burden is better than Credence.

Convince me otherwise or admit that you're shoving your personal taste down everyone's throat.

what I can tell you with 99% certainty is that your argument is totally irrelevant.

Burden is a much better song than Benighted. It's far more though upon, developed a executed. It features great guitar solo, an awesome keyboard solo and amazing drumming. As a matter of fact for the exact same reasons Burden is better than Credence.

Convince me otherwise or admit that you're shoving your personal taste down everyone's throat.

Well you are acting like philno when you pretend a song is "better" than another one. I think both Burden and Benighted are great songs in their ways. To me it's like an apple and a banana. They are both fruits and I like both of them, but they are far from being the same thing. Musically, what makes a song "good"? Not a "well-execution", not a "great guitar solo" (what is "great"?), not an "awesome keyboard solo" (again..) and not an "amazing drumming". Anyways.

Well you are acting like philno when you pretend a song is "better" than another one. I think both Burden and Benighted are great songs in their ways. To me it's like an apple and a banana. They are both fruits and I like both of them, but they are far from being the same thing.

Actually what I was pointing out is why philno's argument is irrelevant and baseless, not that Benighted is worse than Burden.

I dare you to make an amazing song with a triangle :Smug:

I hope you understand and agree with the fundamental point of what I was trying to explain. I accept the challenge, though.
Anyway.. Still Life is great, Watershed is great, Opeth is great, and yes I still listen to Watershed almost every day and I've been listening to Opeth for 4 years now and enjoy every album they released.

totally irrelevant to my argument, my argument had nothing to do with opeth's influences, rather it was to give an example of bands that have clearly passed their creative climaxes. it could have been any band.
Not totally irrelevant at all, on the basis that many people prefer Opeth's later more 70s influenced material to the older stuff and would therefore class it as Opeth's "climax". There is no "clearly" about it. The fact that you think Opeth has passed it's creative climax is simply your opinion, and I highly doubt that 99% of Opeth listeners would agree with you (note that I hesitate to use the words fan or fanboy).

The problem here is that you seem to have plucked this 99% figure from looking at bands such as Pink Floyd then have directly applied it to Opeth. Where do you get this 99% figure from? What do you class as a fan? What do you class as a fanboy?

You seem to be pigeonholing people into two distinct groups, while at the same time I assume you don't personally know the vast majority of them. You're simply making wild assumptions on people's tastes based on nothing but you're own personal tastes, and you seem to be under the impression that your tastes are correct.

my argument has only been that the SL era of opeth is well recognized as the climax of opeth's career. if you prefer watershed to still life, you're in the minority and im betting that eventually your opinion will change.

well recognised by who?..the most important people here, which is the band actually as it's their music, don't agree.... Would you have preferred Opeth to keep making Still Life over and over again?

Oddly enough, I tend to think that it's the "Opeth is MY band" type of people who think Still Life is the best album...for me, Deliverance, GR, BWP and Watershed are better..but we are talking small margins..they're all great.

When Opeths next album starts sounding like a previous album, THEN the band will have gone over their peak...

Still Life and BWP are my favourites, but everything they've done has merit. With a band as consistent as Opeth it's always going to be impossible to reach a consensus as to their masterpiece. In years to come SL just might become regarded as such, but because their fan base has grown so much over the past few years it's futile to try and guess. Context is important here, as it's really only possible to tell the impact of an album in hindsight. For instance, I remember getting into this band around the release of BWP, coming onto this forum and finding lots of older fans who regarded Morningrise as their masterpiece and that everything that came afterwards was inferior. In fact, Morningrise seemed to hold the heralded position back then that SL does in these parts now. My point is that the fans' collective perceptions change over time; an album that be regarded their greatest right now might not in 5 year's time etc.

Still Life and BWP are my favourites, but everything they've done has merit. With a band as consistent as Opeth it's always going to be impossible to reach a consensus as to their masterpiece. In years to come SL just might become regarded as such, but because their fan base has grown so much over the past few years it's futile to try and guess. Context is important here, as it's really only possible to tell the impact of an album in hindsight. For instance, I remember getting into this band around the release of BWP, coming onto this forum and finding lots of older fans who regarded Morningrise as their masterpiece and that everything that came afterwards was inferior. In fact, Morningrise seemed to hold the heralded position back then that SL does in these parts now. My point is that the fans' collective perceptions change over time; an album that be regarded their greatest right now might not in 5 year's time etc.

+1..

except Still Life has without exception won every poll/thread for about 5 years now

well recognised by who?..the most important people here, which is the band actually as it's their music, don't agree.... Would you have preferred Opeth to keep making Still Life over and over again?

Oddly enough, I tend to think that it's the "Opeth is MY band" type of people who think Still Life is the best album...for me, Deliverance, GR, BWP and Watershed are better..but we are talking small margins..they're all great.

When Opeths next album starts sounding like a previous album, THEN the band will have gone over their peak...

well recognized by people on this forum. i don't really care what the band thinks, i'm the listener. i would absolutely despise if they made still life over and over again, but i would rather it to opeth making random albums with no concept, message, or tone, simply to say "hey, we haven't made this album before!". when you're consciously making albums differently for the sake of the band's progression, that's when you know the music is taking a beating.