Do you think Opeth...

mark_bwaite

One Man Gang
Oct 15, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Might be better without death vox? Just a question. I was just looking at their lyrics on the site. They seem so poetic that they would be better suited with a different style of vocals.

I've always wondered that, and I've never been a major death vox fan, but times like when he growls "Ripped from my embrace..." in Serenity Painted Death, it shoots chills up my spine every frickin' time. Nobody else can do that. I want them to tone it down a little, but when he does it right, he hits the nail on the head.

In other words, I think it's great, but I think they overdo it sometimes.

mark_bwaite said:
Might be better without death vox? Just a question. I was just looking at their lyrics on the site. They seem so poetic that they would be better suited with a different style of vocals.
Nope..I love the contrast of death and clean vox..Mike's death vocals are so emotive I can't get enough of them..More cookie monstor vox!

I just find death vocals a little hard to get into. I don't know maybe it's just me. Thanks for the response guys. I need to check out bands like Opeth and Death a little more.

I used to hate "death" vocals. But now that I've listening to Opeth a lot, they've made me become aware that you can use those in a strikingly emotional and amazing way.

There are many death metal bands I think do overuse and overdo "death" vocals, but Opeth is one of those bands who has them and I really think they actually fit. They're not used as something to shock or to energize or anything like that, which is what too many bands do, they're used to create a feeling and emotion and a tension. Or maybe that's the way it is with all death metal bands, but I can just see it easily in Opeth.

hell no

If there was ever a perfect mix of heavy vocals with clean vocals, Opeth have mastered it.
I'm pretty sure thats why a large majority of us are so attracted to the band because not many have achieved that as good as they have.

i love death vox. they are so evil and brutal, but also emotional and raw.
nevar get rid of them!!!

Opeth - Growling /= Opeth.

Opeth is perfection, as stated above. Opeth is emotion in its purest and strongest form...

I still cry to 'To Bid You Farewell' and 'The Twilight is My Robe.'

Mikael, you may be a fat fucker who says his name wrong (I grew up thinking it's pronounced 'Mykale'), but you are the GOD of emotions. And for that, you will live forever... I have the Opeth O on my right hand. I can look at it and have a song pop into my head. Both CLEAN and GROWLING.

Hail Mikael, Peter, Martin, and Martin. Ave.

I was hesitatant to get into this band because of the death metal vocals, but I just said "fuck it" and plunged right into their catalogue. Opeth are definitely a band that "opened up the floodgates," so to speak, as I know listen to many bands with death metal vocals. The more you listen to them, the more you realize just how well they fit the music. I wouldn't change a single thing from their sound... that's part of the reason why they're so amazing...

I've never really been one for death vocals... I listen to Opeth for the amazing music, and the vocals are secondary. My favourite songs are the ones with clean vocals... and I would love it if Opeth decided to employ clean vocals full time.

But it's not up to me... if they're happy with the mix of death and clean, that's all that matters.

the death vocals are there to create a certain mood, taking that away would take away some of the opeth "spirit". only death vocals can be to much , but opeth have created the perfect balance between desperation in screaming and soft soft sad melody lines.
if they take away the death vocals on a album it should be done on a mellow album , like damnation. removing it completely from opeth would be a blunder.

I love Death vocals. Normal singing can't convery the hate and rage that they can so if Opeth lost them they'd be loosing part of what makes them special (i.e. the ability to change between and create moods to perfectly).

No! the contrast between growls and clean vox is important, I think. just as the contrast between acoustic and heavy distorted guitars.

nemesis_outlawed said:
I've always wondered that, and I've never been a major death vox fan, but times like when he growls "Ripped from my embrace..." in Serenity Painted Death, it shoots chills up my spine every frickin' time. Nobody else can do that. I want them to tone it down a little, but when he does it right, he hits the nail on the head.

In other words, I think it's great, but I think they overdo it sometimes.

Well, I don't think that Opeth would be better without the growls, because they're just part of the dynamics that make the music what it is. But there's another part of Serenity Painted Death with clean vocals that I get the same feeling from. "Came with the moon. . . " and the subsequent clean parts after.

No, I like the mixture. It's better if they just have an odd song on each album with all-clean vocals. Having said that, I'd still love the band if they got rid of the death vocals.