What if Opeth released an all clean vocal album?

Pierced Spirit

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2001
San Antonio, Tx
Visit site
What would you do/think?

I sure as hell would love that. With their beautiful music and a better vocal style, I think it would make the group a hell of alot better. Im probably gonna be slammed by saying that, but so the fuck what. I love Opeth. Alot. I just think cleaner vocals would make them a ton better :)

i don't like clean vocals much on anything really, i don't know what it is i just don't like the sound of men singing that much, chanting, growling, shouting is fine but to much 'singing' can really get on my wick...someone on here recommened Evergrey to me, and the vocal style on the tracks i d/led really ruined the music for me...well that and some fairly corny lyrics, which is one of advantage of a death metal vocal style, as Lawnmower Deth would say:

"General defarmatory remarks about Satan, people I don't like, and egg and cress sandwiches, none of which make the blindest bit of difference, 'cos you can't understand a bloody word of it anyway!!!" - Sharp Fucka Blades of Hades

i think it would really take away from opeths music if they just stuck to the one style...

For me - it's the variety that distinguishes Opeth from others. They have the ability both with instruments and voice to go many different places in their music. To take away any aspect of their style would diminish their uniqueness.

If it did happen, I'm sure that opinion would be divided in the following way:

30% immediately label them sellouts and say "I only listen to OLD Opeth"
15% initially label them sellouts, then go through an adjustment period and accept their new direction
10% greet them with skepticism then realize that this was a logical step forward for the band, but will always prefer the older material
25% immediately embrace the new album as being a monumental artistic progression
10% who hated Opeth when Mikael growled now overcome that obstacle and become fans
10% go through all of first four phases and never commit themselves to an opinion

Originally posted by Demonspell
If it did happen, I'm sure that opinion would be divided in the following way:

30% immediately label them sellouts and say "I only listen to OLD Opeth"
15% initially label them sellouts, then go through an adjustment period and accept their new direction
10% greet them with skepticism then realize that this was a logical step forward for the band, but will always prefer the older material
25% immediately embrace the new album as being a monumental artistic progression
10% who hated Opeth when Mikael growled now overcome that obstacle and become fans
10% go through all of first four phases and never commit themselves to an opinion

well thats another mystery solved...but what are you going to do about the haunted fairground?:)

That would not make me happy if Opeth put out a fully clean album. They should stay just the way they are. Although thier newer music is more "Mature" than thier old, thier style is still the same.
As far as the side project idea goes, that would mean less Opeth productions! We can't have that, we have to wait long enough as it is for new albums to come out.

Maybe they should do a double 2 cd album, one with clean vocals and the other heavy. That would be cool because you could just choose depending on what mood you're in.:)

The contrast in vocal styles is one of the key aspects of Opeth, all I can say is, Mikael keep doing what your doing, that goes for Pete, Martin and Martin as well.

I would love it personally. I really dig the clean vocals more anyway, but I also agree that the music calls for the aggressive vocals at times. If they were too put out an album like that, they would have to change their musical style totally I think, or it would sound out of place and I don't want them to do that. So if this happened, it would have to be under a different name.

n/p: Opeth-Blackwater Park

As good as that Idea sounds, Opeth need that contrast of clean/harsh vocals, it's just another thing that singles them out from the pack. There are a suprising (or perhaps not so) number of 'soft' songs in my top ten Opeth list, but are only their because of the 'rest' of their stuff:D . The idea of a 'side-project' is a pretty sweet one though. That could work good. Most important for me would not be that they go 'all-soft', but that they never remove the counterpointing 'soft' songs from future releases.

Don't you just wish I'd stop using those..... 'Inverted commas'!?:loco: :loco:

Well Im damned proud to be in that minority. And to say the release of a clean vocal album would be inappropriate for Opeth, and the music would undoubtedly be at least partially stripped of its power, and its identity as well, is total bullshit. I never said for opeth to release a soft album (songs like benighted, harvest, etc.) . And their clean vocals arent only on soft songs. 2 examples that come to mind are Serinity Painted Death and To Bid You Farewell. They have clean vocals during the fucking heavy parts. So it can be done and it doesnt sound softer in the least.