Do you think Opeth...

Culture_AK47 said:
I love Death vocals. Normal singing can't convery the hate and rage that they can so if Opeth lost them they'd be loosing part of what makes them special (i.e. the ability to change between and create moods to perfectly).
Not all vocals have to convey hate and rage though... obviously if they changed their vocal style, some of their lyrics might change, but Porcupine Tree do a good job of making lyrics pretty harsh.

Death vocals can get old if it's not mixed with clean vocals or at least varied in its tortured sound. Mike's awesome at vocals and I believe he has the best death vocals around. Garm is an excellent vocalist, as well. He can really vary his singing a lot. I only really like death vocalists if they can do it without distortion and can actually sing as well. The most annoying kind of vocals to me are in power metal bands. Dan Swano in Steel cracks me up though! My God, it sounds like somebody put his balls in a vice and then dropped a Mack truck on his scrotum! Sorry, Dan! :lol:

Up until I started listening to Opeth, I never considered even listening to any type of metal with screaming vocals. I think Opeth does its job well by combining two completely different types of vocals into music. I stand by saying, Opeth should keep the type of vocals it has...if they didnt...would they really be Opeth?

Fortis Aganoth said:
Mikael, you may be a fat fucker who says his name wrong (I grew up thinking it's pronounced 'Mykale'....

Me two! In fact, I think it is pronounced like that, but he says "Michael" for American audiences.

Maybe.

If I ever meet Mikael, I'm going to call him by his actual name. Not Michael. Fuck that. I suppose he'll be surprised. "Wow, a stupid American can say my name correctly?" :lol:

Anyway, I love Opeth's death vocals. I think they should keep them in the music.

the first time I ever heard Opeth was an edit of The drapery falls. They only played the soft vocals and none of the death vox. I was pretty interested because they had such powerful music and such gentle vocals. I bought still life and saw the contrast between and I was amazed. they're a band that can do both melodic and heavy and sound amazing while doing it!

Not even dude, if you don't like Opeth's death metal vocals, then you don't understand Opeth. Growls are expressions of brutal anger, whereas clean singing expresses desperatism and depression. It's apart of the emotional spectrum Mikael tries to emulate with music; to do away with that is to do away everything that makes Opeth special. It's all apart of the great experiment gone incredibly right, and it's called Opeth.

I say nay to eliminating Opeth's brutal growling vocals, that is apart of the beauty of the music...