Does anyone else think that Opeth isn't really uh..

since when did thinking a band is good and defending that position become so fanboyish? I mean if you defend it without any thought as to whether you are correct or not or without understanding the music at all and act like some morons at opeth shows that booed PT then yeah I can understand.

So just because you fail to understand what other people see in Porcupine Tree does not make them fanboys that are just mindless drones that do anything steven wilson commands. whats wrong with the idea of them just appreciating the music?

and then "I hope for their sake it is as innovative as the material that's earned them all this popularity". Like they owe you something? A band gives you at least 4 undisputable amazing albums and you think they owe you something for that? Some of you guys are the worst fans that have ever existed and still seem to think that bands make music expressly for your own pleasure and tailored to your tastes. If you want that go listen to mainstream radio. most people are drawn to opeth and things like it (yes, Porcupine Tree) because it is made by people that don't give a flying fuck what you think about it because, and several have proven it, you have crappy taste anyway.

fadingessence said:
Some of you guys are the worst fans that have ever existed

Your the greatest fan of anything ever, you are totally awesome. I love you. Please grace me with your company for only one minute o' great one :worship: :worship:

Dude seriously, get your head out of your arse and stop trying to be condescending, your a fan boy and your a wanker, deal with it.

It's "you're". You know, Soilwork was my favorite band, but when they put out FNF, I thought it totally sucked. Did I bitch about it? No. I moved on. Nice to see that most people would rather fight the losing fight...

Don't try to twist my words around, fool, you only make yourself look more idiotic. Opeth don't owe me anything, as I expressly stated 'for their sake' and yes, for their own sake I hope they retain the integrity in their music and dont give in to creating 13 minute tracks of the same riff looping with different overdubs each time.

I love Opeth, they are still my favourite band, but with Deliverance they started getting redundant... the music is *gasp* DARE I FUCKING SAY IT AROUND YOU FANBOY MORONS??? BORING! Deliverance is fucking droning, redundant and boring, save for the interlude (which is meant to be simple and nothing more) and A Fair Judgement (which is essentially a jam track).

Damnation can't be faulted on the same principles, because, as was claimed early on, it was meant to be repetitive, and droning and whatnot... and I appreciate it, I like it as an album because it doesn't try to be more than it is.

I didn't even bring my opinion into it to start with... it's fairly undisputable that with Deliverance the formula started getting redundant, Mikael himself even saying that the production of it was very rushed. I don't understand how you turn that into me claiming and bitching that apparently Opeth aren't making music 'tailored to my tastes'.

Well, I think Opeth are great at what they do, but some innovation to keep it fresh is never unwelcome...

As for Steven Wilson killing Opeth... I am not certain about that, because I think the influence he had on the band produced some nice things (not all of that it brought was necessarily good, but it still gave a new twist to Opeth...) And Opeth influenced Porcupine Tree too, so it goes both ways.

I enjoy Porcupine Tree too, yes, and I like Steven's work. However, to me Opeth and PT are two distinctive bands and yes, I think it should remain that way... But I think Mikael does want to try some new things, with the rumors of the new album being Black Metal and all...

As for Deliverance and Damnation... Well, they are not my favorite Opeth albums, but had some great moments. They were an experiment, and I guess that with how the studio experience went and the comments Mikael gave about them, this won't be repeated. Although they dared it, and Mike himself said that he would not regret, a few years after the releases of D2, to admit it was an error... So yeah, maybe it wasn't their best material, but they tried something different, so I think it's a good thing.

Oh and Chang, you are the Fart face :mad:

Haha this is funny!

First of all I personally adore all Opeth albums.

Secondly, Opeth is by far the most ambitious band i´ve ever had the pleasure to listen too. Not two album sound even remotely the same!. Each album they do is an experiment which adds to their abitiousness. If you don´t like an Opeth album wait for the next cos it´s gonna be entirely different.

Some folks here brought some interesting points. Let's see if I can complete with some elements...

First we got Opeth's first album, Orchid. Briefly it consisted of an impressive collection of good riffs gathered mainly by Mikeal and Peter's rehearsal from early 90'. The album is purposely evil and very Iron Maiden influenced, especially when we consider the guitar work.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- Acoustic passages
- Evilness

Cons:
- Production
- riffs patching

Their second album, Morningrise, drifted towards a more melodic real. The material is apparently more cohesive but the black-ish sound of Orchid is still very present.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- Acoustic passages (probably the best I've ever heard)
- greater song-writing (TBYF)
- Epics

Cons:
- Production
- riffs patching (some songs)

The third Opeth opus, and also the higher step they ever made IMO. New drummer, new bassist (Mikael) and a conceptual album for the first time. This time, Opeth opted for a drastic change in song-writing.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- Soloing
- Song-writing
- Story/lyrics
- Vocals
- Heaviness
- mellow passages

Cons:
- nothing much really

Opeth went with the famous Peaceville. Martin Mendez made his debut at bass. The riffings is very rich and colorful. The vocal lines had never been as melodic and the acoustic passages are top-notch. The production is also notably improved.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- Story
- Vocal lines
- acoustic passage
- Epic
- Song-writing

Cons:
- nothing much really.

Blackwater Park marks their debut with Kush and Steven Wilson. again, they opted for a similar structure to that of MAYH and Still Life but this time, with a bleaker, gloomier sound. They made, IMO, some of their most meaningful and tasteful passage with this album.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- Atmosphere
- Lead
- Production
- Vocals
- Song structure
- Ballads

Cons:
- nothing

Their last project, Deliverance/Damnation looked very promising, at least to me. Deliverance went into a more twisted and chaotic area while damnation explored Opeth's mellow greatness. Again, the song-structive isn't very innovative when we consider their previous albums. They bring up some new elements but they still worked under the same engine.

like/dislike:
Pro:
- The sickness of Deliverance
- The hunting beauty of Damnation
- Vocals harmonies
- Drumming
- Lyrics

Cons:
- Death metal sound
- Some average songs

Feel free to complete :)
Oh and Blackout, you are teh Tr00 fartface :mad:

Why does liking Deliverance and Damnation make you a fanboy? Some of you guys are way too picky...I hope that you put the same amount of thought, effort, and energy used to write your Opeth Fanboy Essays into doing something constructive with your life today.

Does anyone think that uh...starting another new "I don't like Deliverance/Damnation" thread is pretty redundant since there are plenty of other ones laying around?

Korlich said:
Haha this is funny!

First of all I personally adore all Opeth albums.

Secondly, Opeth is by far the most ambitious band i´ve ever had the pleasure to listen too. Not two album sound even remotely the same!. Each album they do is an experiment which adds to their abitiousness. If you don´t like an Opeth album wait for the next cos it´s gonna be entirely different.

Fagging fanboy. Fuck off.

[Edit: in the nicest way possible]

Firedwarf said:
..ambitious enough? I think they could be really cool if they tried some different stuff.

And don't tell me "but Damnation! so innovative and ambitious!" cuz it wasn't. It was not very good, IMO.

So does anyone agree with me?

*hides*

Yes, I agree with you. Damnation was a major disappointment and Deliverance was not bad but quite stale. Hopefully something interesting or new will come out of the next album.

Overall I'd have to say Opeth is my favorite band.
There is just something about this band that I fucking love.
But I agree that their next album needs to take a little bit of a "leap."
I'm not saying they're stale.
I'm just saying they could get that way if there aren't some nice innovations on their 8th album.

But in the end, what matters is song writing.
Mike has proven to be a good songwriter, so there's little reason to doubt that the next one will be good, but a big massive epic album with lots of experimentation would be awesome.

Blackwater Park is the pinnacle of Opeth's work. Luckily, Mikael was milking the song-writing formula for all it's got and Blackwater Park ended up being the most cohesive, emotional, etc. work that they've done. Then he tried to milk it some more, and Deliverance, well, sucked.