Doom Metal

I would have mentioned DoomSword, but I don't find them doom at all. It's mainly epic heavy metal.

I don't understand why people wank about Forest of Equilibrium being Cathedral's best album... in my opinion The Ethereal Mirror destroys it.

Doom man, doom.

simple as that.

Ethereal Mirror is catchy but its too stoner for my liking.

So what's the formal distinction that makes something "stoner"?

To me it's such a vague distinction from doom metal that I don't really care.

I think it comes in where it has an overwhelming sense of groove, it can have themes in pot, and a lot of pot heads like it. Once you start adding all the pot themes, I think it becomes stoner.

Well then it's not much different than the case with Viking Metal, whereas the musical aspect is minimal and the thematic aspect is what really makes the distinction.

Doom metal, along with black and death metal and maybe grindcore, has long been one of the subgenres upon which I've concentrated my interest most. It's quite probably the most variedm, and indeed introspective, of metal's arenas, situated quietly and largely unassumingly somewhere at the back of the cavernous catacombs of metal's underground. Think about all of the sub-subgenre names you've no doubt seen referenced in the metal press (go on, do it now): death doom, funeral doom, stoner/psychedelic doom, traditional/classic doom, sludgecore, drone doom, etc., ad infinitum. Like death metal, I haven't followed the genre closely in years due to being trapped amidst the crumbling gravestones, smeared corpsepaint and burning pentagrams of the black metal underground, but my love for the classics of yore hasn't faded with time. Here's an extensive/exhaustive list of some of my personal favorites of the genre, naturally culled almost entirely from the 90s (metal's heyday, in my opinion):

Paradise Lost
Lost Paradise
Gothic
Shades of God

Thergothon
Stream from the Heavens

Skepticism
Stormcrowfleet
Lead and Aether

diSEMBOWELMENT
Transcendence into the Peripheral (hugely influential and highly, higly recommended!)

Dusk
Mourning...Resurrect (hugely underrated and highly, higly recommended!)

My Dying bride
Turn Loose the Swans
As the Flower Withers
The Angel and the Dark River

Anathema
Serenades (too often overshadowed by Turn Loose...)

Winter
Into Darkness (Hellhammer played at the speed of molasses)

Candlemass
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

Nortt (new black/funeral deathlord)
Gudsforladt (a verifiable modern-day classic)
Ligfaerd

Sunn O)))
The Grimrobe Demos
OO Void

Khanate
Khanate

Solitude Aeturnus
Adagio
Beyond the Crimson Horizon

Worship
Last CD Before Doomsday (the absolute apex (nadir?) of extremity)

Burning Witch
Crippled Lucifer

Cathedral
Forest of Equilibrium
Endtyme

Pentagram
Pentagram
Day of Reckoning

Evoken
Embrace the Emptiness

Esoteric (drives listeners to insanity: absolute highest possible recommendation)
Epistemological Despondency
The Pernicious Enigma

Earth
Earth 2 (utterly trance-inducing)

Eyehategod (last but certainly not least)
Take as Needed for Pain
Dopesick

Excuse me for the length of this post, but all of those albums are doubtless and absolute essentials for any fan, casual or otherwise, of the (sub)genre. Go forth and purchase, metal faithful.