Dragonforce officially mainstream

ragingsaxmachine said:
There is room for hope. This simply proves that there is indeed a significant audience for power metal in the US.

You say this like it's a good thing. What good does it do metal if the Hot Topic crowd are suddenly showing an interest? We'll end up seeing Iced Earth one day surrounded by OzzFest fans, ugh.

JayKeeley said:
You say this like it's a good thing. What good does it do metal if the Hot Topic crowd are suddenly showing an interest? We'll end up seeing Iced Earth one day surrounded by OzzFest fans, ugh.

Well, I DID see an Iced Earth shirt at Hot Topic a few months ago...

But yeah, I don't think that Dragonforce going mainstream is such a good thing. Look at a band like Nirvana, for example. Sure, people enjoyed them during their time, but five years later Nirvana copycats like Puddle of Mudd and Nickelback started showing up :puke:

woosta said:
I just saw their shirt at Hot Topic tonight. How did this happen? I don't get it. Are they really different than most of the bands we talk about around here? I mean, why Dragonforce and not Stratovarius or Symphony X?
because their audience is mostly under 18 (yes, I went to the sold out London gig, and I was practically the oldest bastard there at 21)

because their shows are very spectactuar. not that it's a bad thing. they are much more a show than a concert. compare dragonforce to say, any typical prog band. while whose music is more interesting is arguable, it is fairly a given that dragonforce's show presence will be at a totally different level than the prog band.

and because people like them, other people like them, and because many people like them, trendy kids who think they're part of something underground also like them.

here comes the bs disclaimer: i remember when they only had out a 4 track demo and went by the name dragonheart. i liked them then and i like them now. still, i think the direction they took and the way people reacted made "mainstream" inevitable.
as for this 'official' business i see all the time in a bunch of different threads on random topics, what makes something official anyway? seems to be just a term thrown around to make something seem more certain or final, post-fact. :lol: just a peeve, mind you.

dcowboys311 said:
Well, I DID see an Iced Earth shirt at Hot Topic a few months ago...

But yeah, I don't think that Dragonforce going mainstream is such a good thing. Look at a band like Nirvana, for example. Sure, people enjoyed them during their time, but five years later Nirvana copycats like Puddle of Mudd and Nickelback started showing up :puke:

LOL and there are NO copycat bands in the powermetal genrea already?:zombie:

I am happy that a real metal band is getting a push. I am just suprised by the fact that it is Dragonforce. I would much rather see Edguy in this position. They have always been my favorite power metal band. They are humorous, catchy and I think if given the type of push that Dragonforce has gotten other metal fans will catch on. I do hope Dragonforce opens the doors for more power metal to get big. I do have the new Dragonforce album (as well as the previous two) and I do enjoy them quite a bit. I think right up there a long with Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica and Children of Bodom will be the big power metal bands here in the states a long with Nevermore and Evergrey also getting big.

To the person who said what if one day Iced Earth are surrounded by Ozzfest fans... my question is who cares? If fans are digging the music that the band is putting out and the band did not sell out to please that type of audience then that is a good thing. As much as we love our bands to remain underground and only for the loyal they need to make a living too. As much as I love seeing bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc at venues like BB Kings I would also like to see them in venues ilke Madison Square Garden one of these days.

Jim LotFP said:
Anyway, if power metal in general catches on, it'll be all new bands that catch the hype, not anybody that was around in the 90s. The people in charge assume kids want people they can relate to playing the music, and all the old farts from the 90s from the continent don't qualify.

Yup. See: Cellador.

Their video was on Headbanger's Ball this weekend, as well as a Metal Blade ad for them, which ran FOUR times. This exact same pattern happened last week with Dragonforce.

I hope everyone's ready, 'cause power metal is gonna be the next big thing.

Exactly. Metal has hibernated for 20 years and I think its about time that it becomes popular again. It might be trendy...despite the retardation of Hot Topic kids, it doesn't mean that the music from these now-popular power metal artists isn't going to mean something to them. Not to mention, musicians such as myself will likely be given more opportunity to succeed in the mainstream and thus, not have to live in a single bedroom apartment on a steady diet of ramen the rest of my life.

Dragonforce is less to thank for this movement than Roadrunner, the first record company with significant clout to make a ballsy push for power metal in, well--at least the past decade here in the States.

The thing is, I don't think power metal is going to stay big for that long. It's going to be like the garage rock revival from a few years ago. A lot of the Hot Topic kids don't like bands such as Dragonforce because they aren't "hardcore" enough. IMO, Dragonforce are the new Darkness. Their going to have their big hit and will be huge, but everyone will forget about them after the new trend comes along.

The only real drawback I see to a metal band getting big is that they might self-destruct. Tends to happen most often when the fame gets to be a little too much. Plus way too much money to spend. And the Hollywood girlfriends. Wonder if Herman Li will end up like Richie Sambora? Perhaps he'll date Jessica Simpson.

Jim LotFP said:
Anyway, if power metal in general catches on, it'll be all new bands that catch the hype, not anybody that was around in the 90s. The people in charge assume kids want people they can relate to playing the music, and all the old farts from the 90s from the continent don't qualify.
JayKeeley said:
Both these statements are dead on. Anyone who thinks Metal gaining mainstream acceptance is a good thing for the genre and the quality of the music, doesn't have a real strong understanding of Metal's history. To Jim's point, if Metal caught on, A&R reps would flood the market with "Metal" by bands who look better than they play. Iced Earth would end up opening up for some Nu Power Metal band, who has one CD in their discography, but a hit single that makes the 15 year girls feel all dreamy.

Zod

General Zod said:
Both these statements are dead on. Anyone who thinks Metal gaining mainstream acceptance is a good thing for the genre and the quality of the music, doesn't have a real strong understanding of Metal's history. To Jim's point, if Metal caught on, A&R reps would flood the market with "Metal" by bands who look better than they play. Iced Earth would end up opening up for some Nu Power Metal band, who has one CD in their discography, but a hit single that makes the 15 year girls feel all dreamy.

Zod

One thing that must be remembered is that this isn't a social change that's going to happen overnight, and I don't expect Dragonforce to be a popular radio band at all. Metal is metal even in some of its less aggressive states and will continue to give old and young people alike headaches, simply because they've been raised on radio pussy shit like Ashlee Simpson. Metal as a whole can never be "mainstream" in the US in the likeness of these pop rock stars, although it is conceivable that one or two bands could catch on.

Our definitions of mainstream are probably different. When I say mainstream, I mean easily accessable at store outlets and less 'street work' needed by fans to promote a certain band--when I saw Gigantour and I discussed metal bands with some guys I was hanging out with there, the greater majority had never even heard of Dragonforce. And these guys were wearing SymX shirts. This band becoming somewhat of a household name in metal gives hope that other bands can reach equal status of promotion. I don't expect the market to be completely flooded with metal however, simply because it has and always will be completely unenjoyable to most of the radio mainstream audience.

I think I'll start panicking when they use Dragonforce music for Kitkat commercials. dum-de-re-re-rum-de-rum-de-re-re-rum-rum GIVE ME A BREAK.

ragingsaxmachine said:
Metal as a whole can never be "mainstream" in the US in the likeness of these pop rock stars...
Are you serious? What would you consider the 80s, when Metal was the most popular form of music, and dozens of Metal acts were touring 15K/20K seat arenas? When Tommy Lee was on the cover of People magazine every other week because of his relationship with Heather Locklear?

ragingsaxmachine said:
Our definitions of mainstream are probably different. When I say mainstream, I mean easily accessable at store outlets and less 'street work' needed by fans to promote a certain band--
The problem is, I don't believe there's a happy medium. Chain music stores only carry CDs if they sell. To sell, they need to be popular. To be popular, you need to be mainstream.

Zod

General Zod said:
Are you serious? What would you consider the 80s, when Metal was the most popular form of music, and dozens of Metal acts were touring 15K/20K seat arenas? When Tommy Lee was on the cover of People magazine every other week because of his relationship with Heather Locklear?

The problem is, I don't believe there's a happy medium. Chain music stores only carry CDs if they sell. To sell, they need to be popular. To be popular, you need to be mainstream.

Zod

I don't think thrash suffered in the late 80's when bands like Testament, Overkill, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, etc. were either on or distributed by major labels. That seemed to be a possible happy medium.

In general, however, I agree with you. Mainstreaming usually leads to poorer quality. I am fine with seeing kids at concerts though. The emo kids at Necrophagist/Arsis/Alarum made up the majority of the audience, yet they got into the bands and did not annoy me at all. I know these bands are nowhere near the mainstream, but the kids sure fit the typical Ozzfest crowd.

DragonForce have 8 minute songs.
The commercial radio listener does NOT possess the attention span to withstand this.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
As long as their music does not change, I have no issue with DF gaining popularity.

johnfrank1970 said:
I don't think thrash suffered in the late 80's when bands like Testament, Overkill, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, etc. were either on or distributed by major labels. That seemed to be a possible happy medium.
To some extant, I agree. However, one could argue that as Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax grew in popularity, their music went downhill at the same rate.

In general, I agree that the "underground" won't be impacted, as they’re unlikely to reap the benefits of Metal’s commercial gains. My argument was largely directed towards the Power Metal genre, and whether the success that DragonForce has enjoyed, no matter how mind-boggling, could propel the sub-genre.

Zod

Roadrunner is doing a miracle if you ask me, the songs for DF dont measure up to bands like Sonata, Kamelot, SymX, Evergrey etc...Ok so they jump around on stage with trampolines and stuff. How long will that be cool and/or funny? I hope however it helps the above mentioned bands gain a larger audience and do better tours in the states.

jase

Bryan316 said:
Here's what I'm gonna say.

Thank the Almighty it's Dragonforce and not Linkin Park any more.

Ummm...ok. and you are a complete fool if you think DF is going to achieve the mainstream success that LP had. You guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The majority of early main stage slotted Ozzfest bands have LONG been forgotten. Once the hype is over, Roadrunner will prolly drop them. As long as they keep writing good tunes, they will have no problem.