Dragonforce officially mainstream

General Zod said:
To some extant, I agree. However, one could argue that as Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax grew in popularity, their music went downhill at the same rate.

I agree that both Metallica and Megadeth reached a point of no return for me (s/t and Youthanasia, respectively) and the bands did seem to be selling out. They released many good major label albums though, and their output was not declining in quality for me. And Justice for All and Rust in Peace are my faves.

I like Anthrax through Sound of White Noise, but I did not dislike Stomp 442 because it was commercial. I just thought it was boring. Volume 8 - The Threat Is Real has some more commerical material on it though, but that came out 4 years later.

edgeofthorns said:
I saw their disc at Wal-Mart the other night in Johnson City, Tennessee for cryin' out loud! IN TENNESSEE AT WAL-MART I stress again! Wtf?

I have seen lots of metal at Wal-Mart actually. I have seen the Absence, Symphorce, etc.

Trampoline Metal?!?!? LOL I guess I need to see these guys live to see what that's all about.

I have recently acquired the new DF CD, and have only listened to it in the car a couple times... the songs to me do tend to sound similar to one another.

The Cellador singer sounds like a Michael Kiske clone - I swear that if you close your eyes you'd think you were listening to 80's-era Helloween.

Thorn23TX said:
I have recently acquired the new DF CD, and have only listened to it in the car a couple times... the songs to me do tend to sound similar to one another.

The Cellador singer sounds like a Michael Kiske clone - I swear that if you close your eyes you'd think you were listening to 80's-era Helloween.

I have the same criticism about the latest DragonForce as well. Almost as if they have become a clone of themselves. Not as many "stand out" tracks as their first two. Still not a shabby album, just not their best.

I saw the Cellador video and was extremely impressed. I might have to check em out.

General Zod said:
Are you serious? What would you consider the 80s, when Metal was the most popular form of music, and dozens of Metal acts were touring 15K/20K seat arenas? When Tommy Lee was on the cover of People magazine every other week because of his relationship with Heather Locklear?

pwned. :mad:

I suppose if I were to revamp my ideas into one consolidated and accurate package, I would just say that Dragonforce's success makes it more likely for better musicians to enter the mainstream market, even if with them comes crappier bands.

Then again, this is assuming that Dragonforce is not a one time thing.

Jasonic said:
Ummm...ok. and you are a complete fool if you think DF is going to achieve the mainstream success that LP had. You guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The majority of early main stage slotted Ozzfest bands have LONG been forgotten. Once the hype is over, Roadrunner will prolly drop them. As long as they keep writing good tunes, they will have no problem.

Hmm.... lessee...

System of a Down, Disturbed, Tool, Black Label Society, Slayer, Pantera, Judas FUCKING Priest, Iron FUCKING Maiden...

I'd have to say I just proved your comments to be the foolish ones.

Jasonic said:
Ummm...ok. and you are a complete fool if you think DF is going to achieve the mainstream success that LP had. You guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion.
I think you need to recognize a few things:

1. No one is suggesting DF sold out
2. Bryant wasn't suggesting DF would become LP
3. We're having a hypothetical conversation, nothing more

Zod

Jasonic said:
I have the same criticism about the latest DragonForce as well. Almost as if they have become a clone of themselves. Not as many "stand out" tracks as their first two. Still not a shabby album, just not their best.

I saw the Cellador video and was extremely impressed. I might have to check em out.

I'm hearing a TON of cool new tricks, cool riffs, cool songwriting ideas and new melodies on this new album. I don't really hear a clone album.

It's the same band, so the songs are gonna sound like Dragonforce albums. What did you expect? Dragonforce releasing a Dio album? It's silly to argue that the album sounds like their other albums. Of course it does! It's the same band!

Bryan316 said:
Hmm.... lessee...

System of a Down, Disturbed, Tool, Black Label Society, Slayer, Pantera, Judas FUCKING Priest, Iron FUCKING Maiden...

I'd have to say I just proved your comments to be the foolish ones.

Re-read my post.
I said EARLY mainstage slotted bands. Neurosis, Crazy Town, The Datsuns, Adema, etc. Stuff like that.

Do you truly believe that DF are going to become this huge success?
More power to them if they do, I just don't see it happening.

General Zod said:
I think you need to recognize a few things:

1. No one is suggesting DF sold out
2. Bryant wasn't suggesting DF would become LP
3. We're having a hypothetical conversation, nothing more

Zod

Heh heh heh.

I ain't saying that Dragonforce is the new Linkin Park.

I'm saying, I'm glad kids are letting go of that whiny bitch Chester, and listening to some serious fuckin metal.

I think America has come to the end of the "Mommy doesn't love me, my girlfriend dumped me, WAAAH" era of emo crying music, and discovered something that doesn't make them want to cut their arms and wear eyeliner to breakfast.

Jasonic said:
Re-read my post.
I said EARLY mainstage slotted bands. Neurosis, Crazy Town, The Datsuns, Adema, etc. Stuff like that.

Do you truly believe that DF are going to become this huge success?
More power to them if they do, I just don't see it happening.

I'm sorry. I thought you meant the GOOD main stage bands. Not the one-hit-Oneders whose record companies dumped the most money into.

Bryan316 said:
Heh heh heh.

I ain't saying that Dragonforce is the new Linkin Park.

I'm saying, I'm glad kids are letting go of that whiny bitch Chester, and listening to some serious fuckin metal.

I think America has come to the end of the "Mommy doesn't love me, my girlfriend dumped me, WAAAH" era of emo crying music, and discovered something that doesn't make them want to cut their arms and wear eyeliner to breakfast.
Its about time America as a whole regrew a pair of testicles. We need another band like Pantera to come along and take over the world, maybe Dragonforce will pave the way! I hope so

ragingsaxmachine said:
Nah...

ragingsaxmachine said:
I suppose if I were to revamp my ideas into one consolidated and accurate package, I would just say that Dragonforce's success makes it more likely for better musicians to enter the mainstream market, even if with them comes crappier bands.
I don't really think there's room for great musicianship to flourish, any where near the mainstream. People just don't appreciate or desire the added complexity.

Zod

johnfrank1970 said:
They released many good major label albums though, and their output was not declining in quality for me. And Justice for All and Rust in Peace are my faves.
Agreed. But if memory serves me correctly, both of these CDs preceeded their mainstream success.

johnfrank1970 said:
I like Anthrax through Sound of White Noise...
I do as well. I was more referring to the success they had with Joey. It seemed that at the height of their commercial success, they released "State of Euphoria", which I thought was crap.

Zod

General Zod said:
Nah...

I don't really think there's room for great musicianship to flourish, any where near the mainstream. People just don't appreciate or desire the added complexity.

Zod

Exactly. As I said, the youth does not possess the attention span to absorb songs the length of DragonForce's.......

Bryan316 said:
I'm sorry. I thought you meant the GOOD main stage bands. Not the one-hit-Oneders whose record companies dumped the most money into.

No, it's all good. It is first slot on the main stage, which means about 200 people at most will see them daily. They will do much better on their own when they go out and headline next time regardless of Ozzfest