Dream Theater Oz tour

Were the Sydney and Melbourne (and whatever else) shows outdoors? Cos Brisbane will be outdoors, nice and cool and perhaps a bit of rain. :headbang:

Wow, outdoors. Nah the Melbourne show was at Festival Hall, which is indoors, surprisingly enough. :)

What was it like on the floor, Stonewall? I usually stand there, but I figured DT aren't really much of a moshing band, so sat in the balcony at the back instead for the first time.

Just got home about half an hour ago. A report:

Had a half day at work so I could go into town for the gig all changed and refreshed, like. Caught the bus (eventually - the one I intended to get didn't turn up) and got into town at 6pm. Gates were due to open at 6, but this proved not to be the case when I saw the big line when I got to the Riverstage.

Gates seem to have opened at 7pm (which, incidentally, was when the show was due to start). As I'm shuffling towards the gate I see a big bloke in the distance. Is that Salty? Hard to tell because it's so dark, and I don't want to risk losing my place in line to say hi in case it's not him. Oh well.

Get in at 7:20ish. Lots of people. The Riverstage is such a good venue, lots of fresh air and a cool breeze.

Just as I find a place to sit down, the Psycho theme starts and everyone gets on their feet. Sigh. Then the concert starts. The setlist may have been:

Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Surrounded
The Dark Eternal Night
Forsaken
I Walk Beside You
As I Am

Intermission

Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Erotomania
Voices
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under/Metropolis

Encore
Trail of Tears/Finally Free/Learning to Live/In the Name of God/Octavarium

I think that's right, Salty will be able to correct me.

Just realised that In the Presence of Enemies wasn't played. Interesting.

It was a great show, but as I said to Salty I'm not sure if it was worth the 12 year wait. I dunno... the crowd, or at least the people that weren't up the front, were dead for most of the show except when band members signaled to them. Most of them just stood there with blank looks on their faces and clapped between songs. Didn't even sing along. That sort of thing annoys me.

I was going OFF! hahaha

Mr Rudess did a legendary thing and come along to my after party at Club Phoenix for a while. What a champion! Played on stage for nearly 3 hours, then come to a very LOUD club and greeted and spoke with a crowd of drunken fans for an hour.

Here's the photo that took YEARS to be taken -

jr_salty_sm.jpg

Pull Me Under/Metropolis

Just realised that In the Presence of Enemies wasn't played. Interesting.
They played it in Melb instead of Pull Me Under/Metropolis, which saddened me a little, but other than that it was a top gig (and they played those last time I saw them, so I guess it is all good).

The mark of a truly amazing band, that can play for 3 hrs yet you don't know what they will play next, what they will encore with, and you are still left wanting more and feeling annoyed about what they DIDN'T play. Just shows how much awesome material they have. Great stuff.

Yeah, I made the mistake of checking out setlists from the Australian tour. I hate that.

The time just flew by, seemed like a 90 minute concert at most.

Oh, and I take back all of the bad things I've ever said about James Labrie (and I've said plenty). He was fantastic, the best live vocal performance I've seen or heard in the flesh.

Given what people have said about his live performances in the past, I thought he was excellent. Couldn't fault him at all.

:headbang: :headbang:

Fuckin oath....

I was at Sydney and Brisbane so between the 2 I saw a fair few songs.
I had a few moments when there was a tear in the eye:

Sydney - Happened after JP's solo during Lines in the Sand...I thought it would happen DURING the solo but it didn't... it happened during the next coupla lines that JLB sang.... Fuckin hell... He was ON FIRE during the Sydney show. He stole the show for me easily.

Brisbane - During the last Chorus of 'The Spirit Carries On' ... very emotional. And JPs solo was killer.
- JP's solo at the very end of the medley during Octavarium... Fuck yeah... awesome and totally tear worthy:)

Seriously... James was awesome in Brissy, but he was on another level in Sydney.

Man of the match for sydney was James.
Man of the match for Brissy was JP easy.

I had a few moments when there was a tear in the eye:

...During the last Chorus of 'The Spirit Carries On' ... very emotional.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who cried when they played this. :cry: :)

Were you at the Sydney show too Sprucey? I was on the barrier in front of JP :) Gods I wish I'd been able to get to the Brisbane show, I love the Riverstage... I tried so hard but I just don't have the money. *sigh* Ah well.