Dream Theater

My 5 favorite are:

Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu
Innocence Faded (Yeah weird choice... I know)
Finally Free
Disappear
Take the Time

You probably shouldn't listen to me though; I made some weird choices.

Im going to see Dream Theater tomorrow... at the best venue in the city...

I hope they wank the night away...

Dream Theater is one of the most emotional bands in the planet for those who know their songs well. I'm very far from what you would call a sensitive man, yet I wept just like a baby for three times when I saw "Scenes from a Memory" being played live right in front of my eyes. Specially during "Through Her Eyes"... I still get chills whenever I listen to that song =]

To whoever said DT isn't popular in South America... Both of their shows in Brazil sold out (I went to both of them =]).

I love almost every single piece of music they've recorded so far... But I'm not gonna list hundreds of songs here to make my post uninsteresting so that no one reads it.

Instead, I'll just suggest watching the Metropolis 2000 DVD. I got into Dream Theater 4 years ago because of it, and probably everyone who watches it will be thirsty for more ^^

The Spirit Carries On on the LSFNY DVD = most emotional thing I've ever heard in music. Period. It sends chills down my spine.

I was into DT a year or so back majorly, but I kind-of got bored with them, I guess, and that's really when I got into death metal. This Glass Prison is still prog insanity, though.

farren said:
Oh I see, all you're familiar with are North America and West Europe. You're apparently not aware of their HUGE FOLLOWINGS in South America and Asia.

I repeat: Dream Theater is popular in Europe, Asia, South America, and North America. That's right, ESPECIALLY SOUTH AMERICA.

Thanks.
I guess not many people understood what I tried to explain. I'm not saying that there are no swedish Dream Theater fans. If I was saying that, I'd be lying. There are a lot of fans over here. What I'm saying is that I haven't met a single swede yet that has said "OMG!!! DREAM THEATER IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!! THEY HAVE NEVER RELEASED A BAD SONG!!!" (or the swedish equivalent ;)). Most people I know that like them are more like "Yeah. Dream Theater is a good band. Skillful musicians and good music. But there are many bands that are more interesting."

NicholasDWolfwood said:
The Spirit Carries On on the LSFNY DVD = most emotional thing I've ever heard in music. Period. It sends chills down my spine.

I was into DT a year or so back majorly, but I kind-of got bored with them, I guess, and that's really when I got into death metal. This Glass Prison is still prog insanity, though.
have you heard Pain of Salvation - Vocari Dei? I have heard people say this song actually made them break down in tears.

Stilgar said:
I guess not many people understood what I tried to explain. I'm not saying that there are no swedish Dream Theater fans. If I was saying that, I'd be lying. There are a lot of fans over here. What I'm saying is that I haven't met a single swede yet that has said "OMG!!! DREAM THEATER IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!! THEY HAVE NEVER RELEASED A BAD SONG!!!" (or the swedish equivalent ;)). Most people I know that like them are more like "Yeah. Dream Theater is a good band. Skillful musicians and good music. But there are many bands that are more interesting."

Just so you know, my reply was mainly aimed at Kenneth. I quoted you quoting him as you seemed to voice agreement.

One song that has brought a tear running down my face is 'Hollow Years' from the Live at Budokan by DT. I think its just because that guitar solo Petrucci plays destroys any self esteem I ever had. I told him about it last night when he signed my guitar, guitar case and a poster.

KFK

Kenneth R. said:
have you heard Pain of Salvation - Vocari Dei? I have heard people say this song actually made them break down in tears.

"Vocari Dei" is nice, but "Morning on Earth" fucking destroyed me when I first listened to it reading the lyrics (I'm a non-native English speaker, kinda hard to figure out lyrics without really paying attention). Lilium Cruentus is pretty sad too...

Dream Theater is the kinda of band you either like very much, or you really dislike. I havent met alot of people who said dream theater was ok. I personally absolutely love this band. Great talent and great music.

My recomendations, if you're still taking any:

Home
Metropolis
Change of Seasons
Under a glass moon
Erotomania
Lie
Yste Jam
Glass Prison
Endless Sacrifice
War Inside My head/The Test that stumped them all

If you dont like those songs, then you wont like dream theater.