DRUDKH - Autumn Aurora

Well I must say, that the cover of the vinyl is the one that the band sent to Faustian for this, so it's bands choice like it or not.

I don't know if anyone is still interested in the Drummer vs Programmed drums discussion.. but for those who still are:

Listen to Forgotten legends. The drums are extremely precise in timing. There are no fills except for occational cymbals (which sometimes causes the hi hats to briefly freeze for some reason). The drumsound always sounds exactly the same except for slight changes in volume. Overall, this drumsound is very hard to achieve for a human drummer. I also think that some groves (or whatever it's called) sound like they're constructed by pencil and paper more than by drumsticks and drums.. just like the drums in Falkenbach or Summoning.
But hey.. I might be wrong.. in either case.. it's some great drumprogramming.. or some mindblowing drumming

I think the drums are real on Autumn Aurora, but I cannot quite tell. The production masks any sterility the drums may have, if in fact they are programmed. Honestly drum machines don't bother me, I got over my anti-electronic days long ago.

I don't have Forgotten Legends. I should.

Everlost said:
I don't know if anyone is still interested in the Drummer vs Programmed drums discussion.. but for those who still are:

Listen to Forgotten legends. The drums are extremely precise in timing. There are no fills except for occational cymbals (which sometimes causes the hi hats to briefly freeze for some reason). The drumsound always sounds exactly the same except for slight changes in volume. Overall, this drumsound is very hard to achieve for a human drummer. I also think that some groves (or whatever it's called) sound like they're constructed by pencil and paper more than by drumsticks and drums.. just like the drums in Falkenbach or Summoning.
But hey.. I might be wrong.. in either case.. it's some great drumprogramming.. or some mindblowing drumming
The drums are real. I suspect it's the Hate Forest guy drumming, in which case "mindblowing drumming" is the answer as he's really really tight on Hate Forest releases, playing some pretty fucking fast blastbeats and double bass. I'm 99.999999% sure all Drudkh drums are real.

Erik said:
The drums are real. I suspect it's the Hate Forest guy drumming, in which case "mindblowing drumming" is the answer as he's really really tight on Hate Forest releases, playing some pretty fucking fast blastbeats and double bass. I'm 99.999999% sure all Drudkh drums are real.

Yeah.. I was getting to checking out the Hate forest drums for comparison.. but retarded as I am, I don't want to download.. so I wait until I can see my girlfriend and listen to them there :Spin: But ah well.. I have a feeling I won't be able to convince any of you guys.. and I also have a feeling we will never know wether or not it's a real drummer or not I guess this is the end of the discussion :)

Marksveld said:
the drums on Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends are real.

I'll say it again. I do not want to sound like the authority or anything, because I'm not, but I have a keen ear for programmed drums and real acoustic drums. Usually if you have a good ear for it, you can tell if the drums on a song are programmed right away, and Drudkh just doesn't have that sound. It doesn't matter if there aren't any fills... tons of bands with real drummers are minimalists. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, look at Nasheim- their programmed drums are are loaded with diversity (as opposed to Drudkh).

The drum style/sound in Drudkh is essential to the structure of the music.

Allright allright.. I'll shut up.. soon :D
The thing is.. just as Marksveld said.. programmed drums have a special sound.. the thing is.. I thought Drudkh used another sample than most other bands.. and then they just used small random changes in volume on each beat to make it sound more natural. But that's just something I got the impression of from the beginning.. this whole way of making drumpatterns remind me of how I make them. But don't get me wrong.. you have convinced me.. at least for a while.. :Spin:

You make some good points too! There's lots of ways to make programmed drums sounds very real, just look at Crebain. FANTASTIC drum sound. Anyway, I just think they went completely minimalist on the drums due to the fact that it is what the music required. Its more ambient than IN YOUR FACE ABSU TOTALLY NECRO BLASTBEAT TOM FILL DESTRUCTIONNN!!!!!111111111111111111111111

But still, I'd like some written confirmation on this issue.