DT vs Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, Opeth is more about setting the mood, or atmosphere (hence atmospheric), and many of their songs are more like individual symphonies with separate movements. DT is more straightforward. That does not mean that they are any less technical or musically gifted than Opeth; it's just a stylistic difference. Think movie music. If you took each band's musical style as a part of the music for a movie, Opeth would be the score, and DT would be the soundtrack.

psychdoc

UndoControl said:
Why the flying fuck does every single Opeth fan come to this board to state their opinions instead of staying in happy Opethland and doing it over there?

I feel like a Zerg-infested colony on the outskirts of Chau Sara.

Because they obviously like DT as well as opeth you moron.

rahvin said:
no, you don't get it. this thread is actually to stimulate people to create more metaphors where opeth are something and dt are something else. it helps broaden everyone's english vocabulary and practice their rethoric skills. only once 1000 users have said that comparing is wrong and things that are not identical are, in fact, different, will we be able to put this thread to rest.

so do your part and come up with something. a belly-button and an earlobe. a viola and a kazoo. a chihuahua and a mastiff. a sad-looking emo girl sitting by the side of the road holding a blunt razor to her left wrist and a jehova witness ringing your doorbell with a bunch of magazines in his right hand. your imagination is the limit!

Rahvin... you are the man...... (btw hello again hahah)

As for the topic... They are different bands so to compare them is pretty hard the fact is that for me they have come in different times in my life, DT was first with me and was really one of the bands that made me lik eDeath metal in the first place, and on the other hand Opeth came in the most depressive part of my life so far so they both have it all for me....

So for me there are no losers here, and they both Win...

( cheesy comment? im ready for the flames come on..... BRING IT OOON?):heh:

psychdoc said:
Personally, I love them both. Different styles within the musical construct of metal/death metal though. Opeth is more "progressive", experimental, and atmospheric, while DT is more concise in song structure but also more overtly melodic alternating with precision brutality. Equally great stuff in my opinion.

psychdoc

Ditto. However, I do listen to Opeth more than DT.

Something has got to give..................................

I skipped on going to Oregon, to go see Opeth and DT in order to see DT headline tonight.

Opeth(I saw them last November) is not the same when Martin Lopez is not playing.

...............These things I just don't want you to know

Well that is new, i thought that he hasnt played some dates at the damnation tour in canada, but i believed that was for stress or something like that, ill check that out on the Opeth forum thanks...

Opeth is much better than Dark Tranquillity imo. Why? Because they add a whole extra musical dimension to their sound.
I obviously do like Dark Tranquillity though, it's just that DT is much more straightforward music than Opeth, with much less musical complexity and depth. It's something I listen to while in the shower or while playing computer games or something, it's more background music than actual listening music, because there's no need to fully focus on it, it's all pretty simple in musical composition. Which is a stark contrast with Opeth's music. I listen to Opeth before I go to sleep, I lie down, put on one of their albums, close my eyes, and fully focus on nothing but the music until the album ends. And no I don't fall asleep :rolleyes:. DT's songs are a bit too formulaic and poppy for me to get full musical satisfaction from, especially on Character. I can see why some of you find Opeth boring when you're used to listening to bands like DT. If you're used to straightforward song structures where you always know what's going to happen, everything in a long Opeth song will seem like a random collection of riffs and a wierd meandering, chaotic stream of sound. That way the song won't "catch" you the first couple of times you listen to it, because it seems random, and you find no structure. The beauty of Opeth is that it's not random at all. But you can't hear that from one, or even 10 listens, if you're not used to that kind of musical style :).

Not that I want to continue with this senselessness, but you are wrong. Both Opeth and DT suck on their last 2 albums, not that Opeth is something special. AND, both Opeth and DT were very complex and wonderful on their past records (Opeth up to Blackwater Park and DT up to Haven). Thats what I think.

Aw com'on, Damage Done and Character are just different, they are still good. Sure it's not the usual ultra melody/harmony DT used to make, but they have a drive that's not present on any else of the albums. Maybe a trace or two on Of Chaos... and The Gallery, but never as in-your-face as in Damage Done and Character, especially on Character.

And Opeth, well, they are a pace too slow for me. They also make me think about The Mars Volta with it's show-off guitarist, too many melodies jammed in that none of them stand out with all of its wonders.

Not that I want to continue with this senselessness, but you are wrong. Both Opeth and DT suck on their last 2 albums, not that Opeth is something special. AND, both Opeth and DT were very complex and wonderful on their past records (Opeth up to Blackwater Park and DT up to Haven). Thats what I think.

What the hell are you talking about? What's wrong with Ghost Reveries?
You're probably one of those kvlt idiots that can't stand prog rock or known labels :rolleyes:.
Besides you just implied that Ghost Reveries is less complex than Blackwater Park, which made you lose any credibility you might have had otherwise.

Opethian666 said:
What the hell are you talking about? What's wrong with Ghost Reveries?
You're probably one of those kvlt idiots that can't stand prog rock or known labels :rolleyes:.
Besides you just implied that Ghost Reveries is less complex than Blackwater Park, which made you lose any credibility you might have had otherwise.

Listen, shut your hole and dont call me idiot again. I have expressed my opinion in a polite way, because thats what this forum is about. Now get your 2 posts and get your ass back where you came from.

These things are too subjective to be subjects of an argument. We should just stop talking like we represent the universe and make assumptions based on a few pixels. I think this is pointless from the start, and now with the abuse of language it's worse.

I bet the homo sapien who made the first note with a bone flute thought he's better than all the musicians of the kingdoms to come.

Listen, shut your hole and dont call me idiot again. I have expressed my opinion in a polite way, because thats what this forum is about. Now get your 2 posts and get your ass back where you came from.

Lmao I just made a remark based on a remark you made, and said "you're probably one of those kvlt idiots...", which does not mean I called you an idiot, but merely an attempt to provide you with a stimulus to make you explain your position on the record. If you really had valid reasons to think that Ghost Reveries sucks, you would've just explained why you think that it sucks and how it is any less complex than BWP, and that it has nothing to do with being a kvlt idiot, but now I'll just have to assume that you're not capable of that. :rolleyes:

That sounds way better. I am not kvlt in any way, although Ive followed Opeth since Orchid, and I have all their albums. When you follow a band like that, sooner or later you become aware of the style it uses and of all those little ditties here and there that become the trade mark of the band. DT, as well as Opeth, has its trade mark riffs and melodies. Now, as a fan, I always want the band to go forward, to reduce the number of those trade marks as much as possible, and bring something new, a whole new approach to their style, or a new reflection of what music making means in the 21st century. And as such, I cant help being a little disappointed when I listen to Character or GR, because I have a feeling Ive heard it all before, no matter how hard I try to listen to the record and wait for it to grow on me. Your reply was focused on complexity - thats not an issue for me as long as the whole record doesnt do anything with me. You are right, GR is more complex than BWP, but when I do exactly what you wrote above (listening to Opeth in bed), I am able to listen through whole of BWP, but GR doesnt keep my attention and I drift away. I only hope you know the history of both bands well enough to be able to say the things you said about DT. I agree with you on Character, but thats all.

That sounds way better. I am not kvlt in any way, although Ive followed Opeth since Orchid, and I have all their albums. When you follow a band like that, sooner or later you become aware of the style it uses and of all those little ditties here and there that become the trade mark of the band. DT, as well as Opeth, has its trade mark riffs and melodies. Now, as a fan, I always want the band to go forward, to reduce the number of those trade marks as much as possible, and bring something new, a whole new approach to their style, or a new reflection of what music making means in the 21st century. And as such, I cant help being a little disappointed when I listen to Character or GR, because I have a feeling Ive heard it all before, no matter how hard I try to listen to the record and wait for it to grow on me. Your reply was focused on complexity - thats not an issue for me as long as the whole record doesnt do anything with me. You are right, GR is more complex than BWP, but when I do exactly what you wrote above (listening to Opeth in bed), I am able to listen through whole of BWP, but GR doesnt keep my attention and I drift away. I only hope you know the history of both bands well enough to be able to say the things you said about DT. I agree with you on Character, but thats all.

Okay that's something I can definitely agree with. I was just reacting on the fact that in your previous post you said that the latest records of both bands sucked, and that Opeth was only complex up till Blackwater Park, which is a big difference with just being disappointed with them. As for wanting Opeth to do something new, I can definitely understand that you might have become bored with them if you have already been following them since Orchid came out. However, I do think that Ghost Reveries may have been the biggest stylistic change for them since Morningrise -> My Arms, Your Hearse. It's the first time they merge their death metal with so much prog and make use of so much experimentation (and keys), so I don't really see how you can be more disappointed with Ghost Reveries than for example Still Life -> Blackwater Park (since imo those are the 2 albums that are most alike). The first CD I picked up myself was Blackwater Park (my favorite is MAYH), so I'm a much more recent fan, and not one of their albums has gotten stale for me yet, perhaps because I've only been listening to them for a smaller amount of years.
As for Dark Tranquillity, the only album I actually own is Character, but I do have a lot of mp3s from some of their other albums on my pc (which is of course not the same thing as listening to the entire album). I like the way they play and the atmosphere they bring, but I just dislike the verse chorus verse song structures they apply in their songs. Maybe on the very early records (which I haven't heard mp3s from yet), they didn't utilise this, but it definitely bothers me on Character and most of the mp3s I have. Also I like alternation of vocals, and Stanne only uses his death growls on their later records. He does have a very unique style, but I just love clean-death switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.