embarassing music

Originally posted by Meisterwerk
That's good then, Darkest Days is the only album that I own of theirs. :)

Quick rundown - wither burn & peel (&early albums) they couldn't write songs very well or play their instruments amazingly well either - just not as good

Stabbing westward -went all acoustic rocky, I only have a few songs, none of which are amazing!

Darkest days is cool, but after a while can get kinda.... boring

woo hoo

such a diversity! the most i see around me is people listening to either R&B or rap music.

i listen to a bit of new age stuff, like Yanni, and Hans Zimmer (not sure if hes new age), a great composer. I love the soundtrack that he made for "The Rock", especially the navy seals theme. "Gladiator" had an amazing soundtrack too. I get into a bit of celtic music, but don't know any groups. Turkish folk, and Arabic music do get interesting, the drums are really 'groovy' sometimes. I just started listening to jazz, an artist called "Carey Bell".

I would never be embarassed to tell anyone that i listen to this stuff. Hell, whatever I like, I'll listen to. I don't give a flying fuck what others think. I share much of the same philosphy as others here.

Music is great. :)

I like a lot of classical, while everyone knows I listen to metal and then they see my listening to bach they look at me strange.

I'm not embarassed by saying it, but people get surprised...

I really lika Tchaikovskij's Swan Lake for example. It's a masterpiece that not much can compare to :)

same goes for many of Beethoven's symphonies and sonatas.

Mozart and Bach are ok too. (they probably twitch in their respective graves when I write this.....calling them "ok" is to underrate them "a bit"......they were extreme geniuses.....I just haven't dug very deep into their music)

I have a soft spot for some cheesy, ultra catchy European power metal......
Also my BIG BIG guilty pleasure is (I can't believe I'm admitting this!) Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. Alright, stop laughing. I mean it. STOP!. If I'm driving along and catch it on the radio I'll be singing along like you wouldn't believe. " 'Cause I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride, baby I'm wanted- Dead or Alive!". Alright, really cut the laughter

I'm not embarassed to like classical-Many of my favorite BM bands are inluenced by classical, as well as folks like Vintersorg and Hollenthon, etc.

Originally posted by Somberlain
I like songs from some really unknown indie bands...Neutral milk Hotel,Granddady...and others that are purely instrumental..Godspeed you Black Emperor,A Silver Mt Zion....

Oooh, u got ASMZ's new album? Is it ne good?

And do you like set fire to flames?

Oh yeah, and one of my friends nicked a "thing" of grandaddy - sending cd's instead of xmas cards!So cool!

what's with everyone here considering jazz and classical music "embarassing"? jazz and classical music is where music theory comes from, and we all now that all the REALLY good metal bands have been exposed to music theory. please, jazz has such good grooves to it and thats where our modern view of solos started. and classical music is often so epic and full of dynamics, not to mention lengthy songs (sounds like what we look for in progressive metal/rock bands?). sorry, but to sum it up jazz and classical music is nothing to be ashamed of. i enjoy these two types of music almost as much as i enjoy good metal.

i can't really think of anything embarassing i listen to. i can withstand some nu-metal, but don't even want to spend money on those cds cuz so theres so much other stuff that's more worth my time and money. i listen to alot of solo guitarists like steve vai, joe satriani, and neil zaza, but why be embarassed?

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
what's with everyone here considering jazz and classical music "embarassing"? jazz and classical music is where music theory comes from, and we all now that all the REALLY good metal bands have been exposed to music theory. please, jazz has such good grooves to it and thats where our modern view of solos started. and classical music is often so epic and full of dynamics, not to mention lengthy songs (sounds like what we look for in progressive metal/rock bands?). sorry, but to sum it up jazz and classical music is nothing to be ashamed of. i enjoy these two types of music almost as much as i enjoy good metal.
Yeah, I agree. People are just listing other things besides metal, which wasn't really the question. I've never met someone who didn't respect classical music, even if they didn't like it or knew nothing about it.

I don't think anyone here said they were embarassed of listening to classical music. Most people just don't expect metalheads to listen to that kind of music. Quite a bunch of metallers do, though :)

i need to check out Japanese pop. if you have watch real anime movies, you probably know what i mean.

Originally posted by Claire's Horror
can't understand why someone would be embarassed to admit he likes certain bands or kind of music. that's pretty idiotic.

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic

Both good points.

I would personally find it more embarassing to stick to only one genre at the expense of others, for the sake of fitting into a crowd. We would all be the same if we stayed with one genre. Each to their own though.

Beauty is found in diversity personally. I will listen to anything except new Country and Western, and most Pop music (there are still a fair amount of decent one hit wonders in there, but I feel the Pop scene is driven mostly on demand (mainly social and financial) rather than creativity and spontenaity.

My growth in "musical scope" can be likened to a community: it accepts (or at least respects) more and more diversified genres/artists, knowing there are going to be some that will not necessarily agree with the overall direction of the community, yet still play a part.

My "musical tastes" line goes something like pop->techno/dance->old metal(ie. Black Sabbath)->contemporary metal and classical about the same time, which lead to various metals [prog. metal (Opeth!), symphonic/keyboard/black metal (Emperor!, Arcturus! and Covenant/The Kovenant!), post-industrial/dark ambient (RAISON D'ETRE and side projects! and too many others to mention here)->ambient......and still finding new good stuff.

As you can see, some mixed with others......it is all good.:lol:

I could never be embarrassed listening to music.:)