Emo kids

As for melodic death metal, well I enjoy some of those bands live (Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, The Haunted, Dark Tranquility) but don't listen to them much at home.
The best thing about Dimmu Borgir are bassist Simen's backing vocals... What a voice! Truly amazing. If you haven't heard "Sideshow Symphonies" by Arcturus and "The Archaic Course" by Borknagar, both with Simen on lead vocals, I highly recommend those albums. I'm not a completist, so if anybody knows of any more albums he sings on, please let me know.

I wouldn't include Opeth here (melo-death) as they really play in a league of their own. They sound totally unique and the only band I would compare them with - in terms of originality - is in fact Porcupine Tree. Both Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson are musical masterminds. Actually, I played "Closure" by Opeth (from "Damnation") and "Moonloop (coda)" by Porcupine Tree (from "The sky moves sideways") to a mate recently and he actually thought it was the same band.

I wouldn't call Opeth melo-death either, but some people actually do.

Simen is one of my top 5 vocalists. Archaic Course and Sideshow Symphonies are excellent, but Quintessence (Borknagar) is the best with him on it. Colossus is just, words cannot describe that song! Such amazing power and emotion in his voice. Garm and Vintersorg are among my favorite vocalists in that extreme/prog/Viking/folk/nature/avant-garde and whatever else you wanna call it genres, but Simen is still the best from that scene. His throat vocals were actually really good too.
Dimmu is one of my favorite bands, but I am pissed as hell that he is a member of the band. He's a good bassist and all, but he barely sings for them. He did more vocals for them before he was even an actualy member. Seems kind of like a waste to me. At least Galdar has his solos (which are still underused) and some of the melodies have his influence on them so I don't mind that Dimmu doesn't use his vocals. Simen was part of the reason why Spiritual Black Dimension is one of my favorite Dimmu albums, my favorite being For All Tid (which was Aldrahn doing the clean vocals on the third track). Tjodalv also made SBD one of my favorites since I love his drumming. That's part of the reason I got into Susperia.
I still love Dimmu's music though and I have high hopes for the new concept album.

sister ophelia said:
The only new Slayer song I've heard so far is "Cult". A great song, I like it a lot and am really looking forward to their tour. I happen to like Tom's vocals actually, and Kerry's "solos" are simply what makes a Slayer song a Slayer song. I also think a Slayer gig is one of the most intense moments in metal one can experience.
Support bands over here will be Children of Bodom, In Flames, Lamb of God and a forth one (their name escapes me right now...). But who cares about the support acts when Slayer will be headlining? :Smug:
Did I mention that I have a work colleague who's second name is Araya? Though she's from Eritrea...I played "Reign in Blood" to her recently but sadly she wasn't impressed...:lol:
I just found out you can stream their whole album on their Myspace here. By the way, look at the magazine cover under the jukebox, doesn't that pic look familiar? On the back of an album that was released about 20 years ago, yet the people are 20 years older?

sister ophelia said:
Actually, I played "Closure" by Opeth (from "Damnation") and "Moonloop (coda)" by Porcupine Tree (from "The sky moves sideways") to a mate recently and he actually thought it was the same band.

Probably because Wilson also produced Damnation...as Steven Wilson produced three consecutive opeth albums(BWP,Deliverence,Damnation) and his magic rubbed off on Mikael during that time.In fact Ghost Reveries which Steven Wilson had nothing to do with is oozing Wilson-ness which proves my point.I also know quite a lot of people who compared PT's Deadwing to Opeth's GR while they were both released closely together.
Furthermore we know Wilson worked with Aviv Geffen in Blackfield...what most people outside of Israel don't know is that Aviv Geffen produced(shortly after working on Blackfield's 2nd album which is due to be realeased very soon) an album for a young woman by the name of Ninette Tayeb who's the winner of Israel's first "Idol" competition some 3-4 years ago.
and you can feel Steven Wilson on her CD too...
I'll conclude by saying 2 important things that I hope might go into someone's signature in UM one day
1.Steven Wilson is magic.
2.Steven Wilson is all about the telephone filter:kickass:

paradoxile said:
and his magic rubbed off on Mikael during that time.
Indeed...like when you watch the documentary on the "Lamentations" dvd, you can literally *sense* how the air inside the studio must have been filled with magic and genius... ;-)

as much as I love PT, I think his succes with Opeth is mixed, BWP is a decent record, but SL and GR are much better than any of his productions w opeth.

And just cos Mike uses vox effects doesn´t make it sound as a wilson production

paradoxile said:
Probably because Wilson also produced Damnation...as Steven Wilson produced three consecutive opeth albums(BWP,Deliverence,Damnation) and his magic rubbed off on Mikael during that time.In fact Ghost Reveries which Steven Wilson had nothing to do with is oozing Wilson-ness which proves my point.I also know quite a lot of people who compared PT's Deadwing to Opeth's GR while they were both released closely together.
Furthermore we know Wilson worked with Aviv Geffen in Blackfield...what most people outside of Israel don't know is that Aviv Geffen produced(shortly after working on Blackfield's 2nd album which is due to be realeased very soon) an album for a young woman by the name of Ninette Tayeb who's the winner of Israel's first "Idol" competition some 3-4 years ago.
and you can feel Steven Wilson on her CD too...
I'll conclude by saying 2 important things that I hope might go into someone's signature in UM one day
1.Steven Wilson is magic.
2.Steven Wilson is all about the telephone filter:kickass:

:kickass: :headbang: too true. Steven Wilson is a FUCKING GENIUS!!!:headbang: :kickass:

I don't mind emo music, I enjoy some of it, and some of the girls are hot, but holy shit, the boys are idiots. (Only said from what I have experienced.. but I still haven't meet a single smart emo kid)

Honestly, I'm not really into Porcupine Tree, but I respect them. I think they are good musicians with good ideas. I'd much rather listen to Opeth though. But for me, as great as all Opeth's work is, nothing beats Morningrise. I could listen to that acoustic guitar melody that starts at about 7:35 into the song for hours. That melody is beautiful.
I also love the bass work in that album!

PinkThrone said:
I don't mind emo music, I enjoy some of it, and some of the girls are hot, but holy shit, the boys are idiots. (Only said from what I have experienced.. but I still haven't meet a single smart emo kid)

that's because if you're smart you get emo's gay and well you stop being an emo kid

PinkThrone said:
And why the fuck does emos always have only one eye?!
You mean like the singer of German would-be emo band "Tokio Hotel"? :Smug:
Their biggest hit - as far as I know - was appropriately named "Schrei" (= scream)
105_1124106795TokioHotel001.jpeg

It doesn't matter if they were 10. Even if they were 30 they would still not have a penis. They wouldn't have a vagina either since vaginas are nice. They would look like a toy.

This reminded me of an episode of The Simpsons when Bark pulled the string on his Krusty doll and it said "I'm anatomically correct. Go ahead, take a peak" :lol: :lol: :lol: