Endorsing some items - everyone pitch in

I understand why you'd want to send the impression you're describing, but you're assuming a little too much about my angle - it's not that I don't think that people consider appearance, it's that there are more ways to have an impression benefit you than looking like you just jumped out of a photoshoot. I don't have problems with lots of people not wanting to be around me (somehow... a mystery to me, too) *and* I get to avoid small talk that I'm not interested in and spend more time talking about things that I like.

Jeff

I hope it works well for you, because if anyone had shown us something like that in elementary school drug presentations *nobody* would have touched the stuff.

Jeff

Im a label whore. I rock Nudie and Rag & Bone and shit. Fuck the haters. I dont care how metal it is to look like a wreck... Im not about it.

I don't wear old man cologne. I'm a terrifying human being, myself.

Smelling/looking nice makes me feel a lot less terrifying, and makes people want to sometimes actually deal with me. Plus smell has a HUGE role in attraction. I want to attract females, animal kingdom style, and so....I play the game.

I was in high school a few years ago. Axe was rampant. I can smell that shit a mile away and I don't like the smell. Just me. I'd rather wear something real in small amounts that is unique to me.

and when it comes to me and my peeps....we owe ourselves the best treats.

As for motivation to spend more on cologne, I have to cite this 'blind' study that was published in The Economist a bit back, which this link sums up:

http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/2009/01/cologne-and-self-fulfilling-prophesies.html

It's essentially more about how smelling good is a confidence booster, and you'll present yourself in better, more attractive manner if you think you smell nice than if you don't.

' The right smell made the guys act more confidently, so, somewhat counterintuitively, the secret may not be whether a woman thinks a man smells good, but rather whether a man thinks he smells good. '

Well, that's a win/win for me, then, because I think what I wear makes me smell good AND women tell me they do as well. :) So not much motivation to upgrade there, but an interesting read all the same.

I'd check out Davidoff Coolwater, Polo Black, Lacoste Essential, Armani Code, Azzaro Chrome, Burberry Brit, and Burberry Touch - what you like/dislike about a couple of those will really narrow down your cologne taste to a pretty specific range.

If it helps narrow things down any, before I started using Axe type products I tended to gravitate towards scents that were rather fruity -- in both the first and fifth senses of the word. Plumeria lotion or spray from Bath & Body Works, that sort of thing. Kind of an extreme overreaction to not wanting to smell like an old man, I know. :D I also dig vanilla, but recognize that people don't really expect to smell it coming from men (or even most non-stripper women). And I've recently taken a bit of a liking to scents with hints of smoke and leather, but not so strong that I smell like I've been curing bacon at Rob Halford's house.

I hope I'm not coming across as a douche, dude.
Just to me, axe smells like the locker room of a high school. Classical conditioning for the lose you could say.
Besides I think I found a good cologne that suits my body

Also when I'm on tour, I do rep axe because it's cheap as fuck and showers are sometimes not worth it haha. You douche your stage clothes and they smell presentable, especially if people after the set run up on a brother haha.

If it helps narrow things down any, before I started using Axe type products I tended to gravitate towards scents that were rather fruity -- in both the first and fifth senses of the word. Plumeria lotion or spray from Bath & Body Works, that sort of thing. Kind of an extreme overreaction to not wanting to smell like an old man, I know. :D I also dig vanilla, but recognize that people don't really expect to smell it coming from men (or even most non-stripper women). And I've recently taken a bit of a liking to scents with hints of smoke and leather, but not so strong that I smell like I've been curing bacon at Rob Halford's house.

That does help quite a bit! There are three general types of scents - musk, fresh, and fruity.

For fruity stuff, check out Lacoste Essential, Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue, Calvin Klein Essential, and Nautica Voyage.

The Scents with hints of smoke/leather will be musk - those two scents pretty much describe the new John Varvatos Classic cologne that came out a bit ago, quite liking that one myself, at least for cooler weather/nights. I'm in agreement with vanilla - the Burberry Brit I recommend has this vanialla/baby powder combo going on, but it's the Vanilla that sticks out and I really like it.

I think my Axe stigma stems from middle school locker rooms, as well - more of a conditioning to hate the scent than an actual dislike of the scent, although I can still call it out in a blind test. It's better than Drakkar Noir, though - I'm with you on that one. :laugh2:

Just to me, axe smells like the locker room of a high school.

Thats the first thing I think about anytime I notice that an "axe-wearer" is in my presence.

As far as colognes I have a decent collection but my go to top 3 have to be

This for casual every day wearing-
emporio-armani-cologne-giorgio-armani-eau-toilette-spray-men576620.jpg

This for casual or a semi-formal event-
emporio-night-men.gif

And then this one usually if im getting real dressy-

74648021698_220x220_a.jpg

Thats the first thing I think about anytime I notice that an "axe-wearer" is in my presence.

As far as colognes I have a decent collection but my go to top 3 have to be

This for casual every day wearing...

This for casual or a semi-formal event...

And then this one usually if im getting real dressy...

That is a big drawback of Axe -- there's no scalability. All the 'flavors' suggest the same level of casualness. Although, I do rotate between three scents depending on the general color scheme of the outfit I'm wearing (partly to keep from smelling the same every day and partly because I like having a little extra bit of order in the world :D ).

Oh, that reminds me how I got into Axe in the first place -- I really liked that they had matching deodorants and sprays, so I could buy it in pairs and not have to worry about having on multiple, possibly clashing, scents.