Endorsing some items - everyone pitch in

To hell with putting that much effort into jeans... get military surplus BDUs and have availability, durability, and enough pocket room to carry a netbook, some reading material, and emergency supplies.

Jeff

To hell with putting that much effort into jeans... get military surplus BDUs and have availability, durability, and enough pocket room to carry a netbook, some reading material, and emergency supplies.

Jeff

The BDU cut sucks, though. These are my go-to camo pants, Surplus Raw Vintage:

1203959.jpg

Those, or a pair of M-65's.

Agreed... nothing but slim or tapered legs for me.

Oh FUCK yes. What cream, do you use, bychance? I've been using Proraso and a Merkur safety razor for about a year now, and will never got back to 'normal' razors.

I'm using Jack Black Supreme Cream ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Black-Supreme-Triple-Cushion/dp/B000M1GDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1282349626&sr=8-1[/ame]). I got a container for christmas and I'm just about done with it. Its a little ritzier than I would spend on myself, but I think I might have to order another container when this one runs out. Good call on the merkur, I'm using the model 180.

Going back to a gillete fusion for a week was almost hellish.

Jeff

Yes, because the one single thing at people base their initial judgement of you upon (physical appearance) is something that should be totally overlooked and undercut.

I realize most everyone on here is going to go for function over form, and I'm not one to sacrifice comfort for style, at all, but ever since I started putting effort into what I wear and how I present myself, my life has gotten a shitload easier/better.

How's that old school shave?
That looks intriguing.

I can't wear slim fit jeans, I just wear loose straight 561? I believe.They fit like slim jeans though haha. I guess I dug my own grave on that one though hahaha.

Its a little more time consuming at first but I think its worth it. Alot of guys are REALLY into it and there are alot of resources on the internet. Its a bigger initial investment, but unless if you go really overboard it will probably end up being cheaper in the long run. The benefit in my experience is a smoother cleaner shave.

You can probably get a good cream/brush/razor for <$60-70.

Jeff

That seems really impractical, I would always rather have a backpack than carry that much bulk in the pockets on my side.

I don't understand Boot Cut at all.....I mean I get it, but like why wear em. You show the boots though which makes sense, but for others not rocking spurs, what the fuck is your angle? Curiosity.

Personally, I wear straight/full or boot leg whenever possible because I hate being able to see shoelaces in my peripheral vision. (Converse All-Stars drive me nuts.) :loco:

But mostly I think it's a cyclical / generational thing. The popularity of full legged jeans a while back was probably a reaction to the skinny cut excess of the 80s, like grunge was to hair metal. My friends and I are on the 'wrong' side of 30, and when we see anyone born after 1970 wearing tapered-leg jeans we have to stifle the urge to point and gawk; they may as well finish off the look with Urkel suspenders, Kip Winger's shredded t-shirt from the Seventeen video, and a Kid n' Play hi top fade.

By the same token, I totally expect that teenagers (not so) secretly laugh at our jeans now. "Nice grandpa pants, Chris Farley! <snicker> Bill Clinton, Pearl Jam! a-DURRRRR !" :D

Axe is a bullshit high school cosmetic for scumbags that don't wanna shower.

Lazy fucks have been doing that for decades (if not centuries) -- Axe just makes it easier.

Take a shower wear some deodorant and if you wanna cologne it up get something real for fucks sake.

I shower and deodorant and Axe it up a bit. I can't stand traditional mens colognes because 1) they make me smell like a drunk who went on a three day bender that culminated in a fall into a vat of industrial solvent and 2) it reminds me too much of the way my father and grandfather and uncles smelled -- like Old Spice, corduroy and death. When I smell cologne-cologne on anyone under thirty I wonder if they just came from a funeral at a barbershop.

I'm okay with two or three of the Axe scents (the rest are gross), and so long as random girls tell me I smell nice on a regular basis, I got no complaints. :)

When I smell cologne-cologne on anyone under thirty I wonder if they just came from a funeral at a barbershop.

I'm okay with two or three of the Axe scents (the rest are gross), and so long as random girls tell me I smell nice on a regular basis, I got no complaints. :)

I wear cologne daily and own more than 12 bottles - I'm with Tony when he says that you've gotta find some proper colognes. There are a lot of gross ones that will smell like old man, potpurri, death, etc, but I could give you a small list of stuff to check out at your local Macy's, Kohls, or JC Penny's that I'm sure you'd enjoy at least 2-3 of!

Yes, because the one single thing at people base their initial judgement of you upon (physical appearance) is something that should be totally overlooked and undercut.

I realize most everyone on here is going to go for function over form, and I'm not one to sacrifice comfort for style, at all, but ever since I started putting effort into what I wear and how I present myself, my life has gotten a shitload easier/better.

Let me put it this way... there's almost enough room in the cargo pockets to fit every testicle-related item you've ever publicly recommended on the forum.

Also, as far as presenting yourself... never underestimate the power of terrifying people into giving you what you want while knowing that you're exactly who they'd want on their side as often as possible. You may not win as many popularity contests, but anyone who asks you to fill out your own paperwork after seeing you read two books at a time while tutoring undergraduates and tapping out Morse code for Chinese takeout is clearly tempting fate.

That seems really impractical, I would always rather have a backpack than carry that much bulk in the pockets on my side.

It may seem impractical, but you'll be convinced otherwise once you try it - good luck leaving your pants on a bus without getting a few odd questions on the way home...

Jeff

Why not be a sharp dressed man and still have a vastly superior intellect to the peasants that surround you? Isn't every girl crazy 'bout a... Win/win?

I dress like shit and pretend to be smart, but I feel like an idiot with long hair, cargo shorts, and a t-shirt.

I'd like to revamp my style, cut my hair, shave more often, and douse myself in a different shade of cologne each day of the week. But I can't ever seem to bother.

How do dress like a man?

Why not be a sharp dressed man [snip...]?

'Sharp-dressed' is a constraint that can interfere with getting more things done, and there are more important measures than women's approval. The other Jeff recently mentioned tailoring - it's not expensive, and considering how cheap BDUs can be and how much customization is available I have to question whether jeans are really a better move.

Jeff

I'm with Tony when he says that you've gotta find some proper colognes.

What would be my motivation, other than concern that fellow Esquire readers are looking down their noses at my purchasing decisions? If I think something smells good, I think I smell good with it on me, and people also think I smell good with it on me, then who cares what kind of container it came out of? If you dig Jimmy Page's guitar tone, what diff does it make whether it was a Marshall stack or an 8" Supro? The source of the scent(s) I get complimented on regularly are of no concern to anyone but me and whomever is working the register at CVS. ;)

I could give you a small list of stuff to check out at your local Macy's, Kohls, or JC Penny's that I'm sure you'd enjoy at least 2-3 of!

Suggest away, my good man.

Is that supposed to be for drugs or sex offenses?

EDIT: I forgot what I meant to post before getting distracted by that.. thing.

31h6pOpiGtL._SL500_.jpg

These little toys are great - I got this one working in under a minute in Fedora and love it so far. I have convertible tablets already, but so far I'm getting more done with this at my desktop... it also set me back less than $50.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm not going to get into that argument with you - I enjoy having people actually like being around me, and just because I care about my appearance and want to make good impressions on people does not make me a pushover in the least. I don't have to be overtly aggressive or difficult, but I can still get my way or my point across.

Put it this way - people will treat you based on how you present yourself. I'll wear BDU's and a black t-shirt to a show, sure, but not anywhere else unless I want to be treated like an angry 16 year old, regardless of how good at math I am.

What would be my motivation, other than concern that fellow Esquire readers are looking down their noses at my purchasing decisions? If I think something smells good, I think I smell good with it on me, and people also think I smell good with it on me, then who cares what kind of container it came out of? If you dig Jimmy Page's guitar tone, what diff does it make whether it was a Marshall stack or an 8" Supro? The source of the scent(s) I get complimented on regularly are of no concern to anyone but me and whomever is working the register at CVS. ;)

Suggest away, my good man.

Funny you mention it - I actually do read Esquire and have for a few years. Excellent articles in most of it. I'm not going to judge what you buy/wear, for the most part - I proudly shop at thrift stores and Nordstroms alike. That said, I can smell axe from a mile away, and I generally don't like it - tends to be artificial and 'cheap' compared to other scents. You might say "well, it is cheap" - I mean cheap as in the feel of an Agile LP vs the feel of a proper old LP Custom. The first might get you most of the way there, fundamentally, but it's the little details and the inexplicable 'mojo' of properly resonating wood, that really sets things apart.

As for motivation to spend more on cologne, I have to cite this 'blind' study that was published in The Economist a bit back, which this link sums up:

http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/2009/01/cologne-and-self-fulfilling-prophesies.html

It's essentially more about how smelling good is a confidence booster, and you'll present yourself in better, more attractive manner if you think you smell nice than if you don't.

I'd check out Davidoff Coolwater, Polo Black, Lacoste Essential, Armani Code, Azzaro Chrome, Burberry Brit, and Burberry Touch - what you like/dislike about a couple of those will really narrow down your cologne taste to a pretty specific range.