Engl amps.

Il be recording a 100 watt fireball in a weeks time. Il put up some samples when there done! From hearing it live there wasnt too much of a difference in tone with the reg fireball, maybe a slight bit more focused.

Contemplating getting a fireball myself, just seen one second hand with an engl cab for €800. Just waiting to hear if its the cab loaded with v30's or v60's. Anyone got experiance with both? Hows the difference in the sound

No matter if it's the standard (V60s) or the pro (v30s), 800,-€ for both the head and the cab is a SICK deal (if they're not completely beaten up ofc).

Okay then, finally I had some time to track a short clip with my Invader 100 going into my Mesa Recto Standard 4X12"

http://www.soundclick.com/tomir

I didn't have time to track drums so sorry, guitars only. Some sloppyness here and there, but I think it sounds good. Totally raw tracks, no hp/lp, compression, EQ, nothing.

The signal chain was: ESP F-STD S7 7-string (EMG 707's) -> Maxon OD808 -> ENGL Invader 100, channel 3 -> Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" -> SM57 -> Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 i/o -> Reaper

2 tracks 80l 80r.

Pretty cool dude, a touch dark, but I'm sure some tweaking could easily remedy that (and I find it's MUCH easier to add in brightness, rather than trying to take some away!) - since I guess you deleted the last one you posted (through the Orange cab), I can't A/B it, but I definitely remember my impressions of it (and see post 42 :D), and this blows it away IMO! Do you find the 808 makes a big difference with the Invader? Cuz I've heard people say that a lot of other Engls don't benefit from adding a TS (some even say they make it worse), but then again, in Engl's own words, "The Invader is different!", after all :loco:

Pretty cool dude, a touch dark, but I'm sure some tweaking could easily remedy that (and I find it's MUCH easier to add in brightness, rather than trying to take some away!) - since I guess you deleted the last one you posted (through the Orange cab), I can't A/B it, but I definitely remember my impressions of it (and see post 42 :D), and this blows it away IMO! Do you find the 808 makes a big difference with the Invader? Cuz I've heard people say that a lot of other Engls don't benefit from adding a TS (some even say they make it worse), but then again, in Engl's own words, "The Invader is different!", after all :loco:

Damn, you guys were quick! :lol: Thanks!

Yeah, the Orange clip was never meant to be used, it was just to get the idea on "tape", I still have that clip and yes, it does sound like... well... crap.
The Mesa cab is a loooot more mic friendly than the Orange. Like I said, no editing on these. I think the mic could have been a bit closer to the center of the cone, since like you said, the tone is a bit dark, but workable.

So yeah, finally a clip of an Invader doing something other than "djent".

I always use an overdrive pedal when I use the EMG707's, because the pedal adds some mids, and the best thing is that is removes the weird overtones 707's are notorious of.

Yeah, I could get a tight tone out of the Invader even without the Maxon, but I like the slight midrange boost and I just find it is easier to get a great tone out of, well pretty much any amp :lol:

Thanks for the input guys!

Okay then, finally I had some time to track a short clip with my Invader 100 going into my Mesa Recto Standard 4X12"

http://www.soundclick.com/tomir

I didn't have time to track drums so sorry, guitars only. Some sloppyness here and there, but I think it sounds good. Totally raw tracks, no hp/lp, compression, EQ, nothing.

The signal chain was: ESP F-STD S7 7-string (EMG 707's) -> Maxon OD808 -> ENGL Invader 100, channel 3 -> Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" -> SM57 -> Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 i/o -> Reaper

2 tracks 80l 80r.

sounds noïce

Thanks guys!

I will try to get some clips up with drums and bass, just to show how it sits in a mix.

I think I can still get a better tone, I just need to play around with the position of the mic a bit more etc.

Cheers again!

Got my e530 yesterday! I love it!

Just some screwing around on it

EQ all at around 5/10, gain at like 6/10

EMG81>engl>peaveyclassic 50/50>Marshall 1960B

I think I'm going to have to sell my tube screamer now because I have no need for it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I just bought a Fireball on last week and now I'm about to purchase the cab.
I'm looking at the pro version (V30s equipped).

Do you think there's a big tone difference between the 2X12 and the 4X12 models?
I've listened to a few soundclips and to my ears the main difference is about the lows...
My need is for studio recording and i'm looking for a fat progressive tone.
Do you think the 2X12 could do it fine? Thanks.

The difference isn't going to be huge, but it will be slightly noticeable

Both options sound good. More bottom with the 4x12. If you can afford it, go for the 4x12. If not, the 2x12 will sound just fine

A new thread would've been better for this, since your question is more about a cab than an amp manufacturer. However, I am at the point where I think a 2x12 may sound better in some circumstances, since you can let the speakers stretch their legs a bit more, and most 2x12s aren that much smaller overall in size than a 4x12. In my experience you wont get that exciting chest hitting tone in the room, but under a mic it generally sounds the same, and sometimes better.