Eternity, the best Anathema album

Originally posted by Don Corleone
you have played those riffs on your guitar and somehow they seemed "not right" to you. thats your opinion. you are the first one to say that to me. i respect that, but it doesnt stop me from thinking it's "funny."
in such a discussion, sooner or later i'd have to come up with 'proof', right? like pointing out specific riffs and so on. yes, let's settle on the 'subjective opinion' thing because i really don't have the desire to go back and listen to TOTS again right now. all's well.

anyways, whatever they do on guitar, i believe they sound good. and thats what i look at when i listen to music. it's as simple as it gets: look, right now, im listening to bob dylan's "one more cup of coffee"...just four chords...the good old Am-G-F-E. does it sound good? yes, i love it.
exacto. but you understand that i'm not arguing on the side of the 'complexity' and 'technicality' metal dragons. some of their riffs sound to me like random melodies chosen by selecting an easy fingering path for the riff, just to fit some vague melodic shape which, to my utmostly subjective ear, sounds like it's just there to fill up the next riff-cell. no sense of belonging. poof.

Originally posted by Heiko
Yes, I heard the first SoD album (and absolutely love it, although I think the second is even better!)
i dis-ag-ree! :) the melodies on the second one were too 'food' to my ear.
Both bands (MDB and SoD) try to create within their music, a dark atmosphere. But darkness has several sides. I think Shape of Despair tries to create a feeling of ongoing trance, melodies (and rythms) that take you really deep into the music, and everything is going on smoothly. The 3/4 pace is really meant to sound like a perpetuum mobile, there are no breaks, hooks or irregularities of whatever kind. Every SoD song is a stream, slowly evolving from one melody to another.
yup, agree. but 'evolving'? is effective repetition (without variation) evolution?
On TLtS (I like the Tlts anagram ;) ), My Dying Bride try to create a feeling of darkness too. Yet here, it is twisted and sick. Not the kind of "romantic" feel of SoD, except for a song like "Sear Me 1993", "Black God" and parts of other songs. The music is about extreme feelings and I think the way in which the riffs on that album are created, suits the whole of the music very much.
it's just my suspicion that this 'twisted' thing was not intentional on their part back then, but later they have realized it and consciously developed their riffs into that direction.

I was very surprised when I first listened to A4 because there was more 'quiet' moments in it. And it was very surprising to hear Vinnie's 'new' voice with the tinkling little melodies (in Destiny f.e.).
But I wouldn't say it is very much like Eternity, it has got a different feeling. There are much more 'plain' pianos in it...

Originally posted by D Mullholand

in such a discussion, sooner or later i'd have to come up with 'proof', right? like pointing out specific riffs and so on. yes, let's settle on the 'subjective opinion' thing because i really don't have the desire to go back and listen to TOTS again right now. all's well.

exacto. but you understand that i'm not arguing on the side of the 'complexity' and 'technicality' metal dragons. some of their riffs sound to me like random melodies chosen by selecting an easy fingering path for the riff, just to fit some vague melodic shape which, to my utmostly subjective ear, sounds like it's just there to fill up the next riff-cell. no sense of belonging. poof.

welcome back, mullholand...i couldnt help but laugh at what you were listening...dont look to far by whom??? lololololol