Fantasy books

TÖserna Och PÅgarna, VÄlommen Till MalÖmÖ Youf Fucking Chileans!!! Check Out Harry Pratchectt Chuildren Author About Mice Being Cirminslas And Ah Fucxking This Guy About Lycanhtropy

Read George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice, they're great, if you're like me and can only stomach so much fantasy cliche dungeons and dragons shit. The books are extremely violent and pretty dark, with a surprisingly minimal amount of lame magic beasts and magic swords and magic quests and ... well you get the picture. Plus they're not nearly as wordy as Jordan, despite similar lengths, Martin doesn't need pages to describe what the trees on a hillside look like. Seriously, these books are so fucking great, I've tried to read a lot of the popular fantasy authors trilogies and sagas, and most I couldn't get halfway through the first book.

Golden Hall said:
Read George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice, they're great, if you're like me and can only stomach so much fantasy cliche dungeons and dragons shit. The books are extremely violent and pretty dark, with a surprisingly minimal amount of lame magic beasts and magic swords and magic quests and ... well you get the picture. Plus they're not nearly as wordy as Jordan, despite similar lengths, Martin doesn't need pages to describe what the trees on a hillside look like. Seriously, these books are so fucking great, I've tried to read a lot of the popular fantasy authors trilogies and sagas, and most I couldn't get halfway through the first book.

Agreed! I generally hate fantasy, but this bookseries has wits, plots, violence, and is extremely well written. :headbang:

I dont know how available they are anymore, but any of John Normans books about Gor are pretty good. I admit the writing leaves something to be desired, but I have to say they interesting, hell they even spawned an online version which I ocassionally play, the Gor RPG game on AOl and the Torvalslanders are supposed to be based on Norse characters, which is one I play.

Wait a sec., I meant to say the Torvs weren't necessarily based on Norse "characters" as much as the Norse peoples themselves.

If you're looking for good fantasy that has viking stuff in it too, I strongly suggest a series by A. A. Attanasio. It starts with "The Dragon and the Unicorn," continues in "The Eagle and the Sword," goes into "The Wolf and the Crown," and concludes in "The Serpent and the Grail."

It's a different take on the Arthur legend. It gets really in depth in the politics and mythologies of all of the different cultures of the times: the celts, the romans, and the norse. I think it's a really good series that's worth checking out for anyone.