Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Porcelain Heart

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Hessian Peel

Votes: 76 33.3%
  • Hex Omega

Votes: 18 7.9%

• Total voters
What a great album, this is one of the first Opeth album that I don't want to skip any song (like atonement on GR, Epilogue on MAYH, Hours of Wealth, Silhouette, etc..). Coil is the perfect opener and it sets the mood so well for the rest to come. I really like every song on this album but my least favorite is definatly ''Hessian Peel'' wich (IMO) doesn't fit as well as the other song on the album. Coil, Burden, Hex Omega are incredible songs. What a great way to introduce Axenrot brillant drumming.

For now, I think it's pretty difficult to compare to the other albums but I think Watershed is not far from MAYH, Blackwater Park and Still Life in terms of quality and songwriting.

Hex Omega, followed by The Lotus Eater.

Hex Omega is just so fucking phenominal, it's beyond belief.

I don't care for most of the other songs.

Aside from Heir Apparent, almost forgot.

Watershed, as it stands right now, is my favourite Opeth album. It contains absolutely everything that I enjoy about their music/songwriting, and the production is far more fitting than the GR style.

There are no songs that I dislike. Burden, Heir Apparent, and especially Hessian Peel are my favourites at the moment.

Hessian Peels overall atmosphere is just a big win in its own right. Cant get enough of the tone of Axe's drumming.

Can't understand why Hessian Peel has so many votes. IMO it is by far the worst song on the album. For once, Mike's songwriting has worn out its welcome. There are NO transitions. The switch from the piano/keys to the heavy part around 5:34 is abysmal. This is where a second song should have started. Moreover, none of it is really that interesting. A lot of dark prog, to be sure, and there are some good riffs in there, (like at 4:15) but I just get too much of a "Harlequin Forest Pt. II" vibe. Except the original is superior.

My opinnion on the rest of the songs:

Honestly, this album simply doesn't have the staying power that Ghost Reveries possessed. The only song that I still adore is Heir Apparent. So stinking heavy.

Coil is decent, but still an intro song. Like the chorus melody. Sets a good vide for the rest of the album.

Burden is forced and for once Akerfeldt doesn't seem honest in the emotions he writes/sings. I honestly can't say I feel moved at all by listening to it. Mind you, there is some excellent musicianship, but overall the song is tedious and uninspiring. Which is unfortunate, because I think it could have been better. The poorly-written lyrics don't really add to the atmosphere.

The Lotus Eater has got a lot of good parts but is super scattered and not very memorable. To be honest, it's not all that "wierd" or "different" from everything in the past--it's just a bit more random, spontaneous, and shape-shifting. These qualities can be very good in the appropriate times, but honestly there's no flow here. Again, the lack of transitions can be hard.

Porceline Heart seemed amazing at first, but the transitions are pretty bad. I like the The Grand Conjuration rehash w/tritone vocals, but it doesn't fit well with the rest of the song. Again, not getting a clear sense of emotion. Each part of the song is excellent in its own reguard...but that's also the song's downfall. It's little more than a collection of seperate parts slapped together.

Hex Omega is probably my second favorite song. Uses some decent transitions (thank God); like the way the first two verses slowly build into that monsterous chorus riff with the keys (then the lead guitar solo over the top). Good stuff. Makes you wonder, though, why the rest of the album seems so scattered. My biggest gripe with the song is the outro riff. It's so...slow and ugly. Hardly epic, and quite frankly I feel it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought Isolation Years was a perfect way to end Ghost Reveries. It was so touching. Not saying that it needed to ended on a soft note, but at least something MEMORABLE. Not that it's a bad riff but again, doesn't make sense in its placement at the very end. Also, the organ usage was very over-hyped. Wow, one long, drawn-out chord. I was hoping to hear some evil, doomy riff that could truly destroy a church organ. A bit disappointing.

I like this album, but there's no coherency. Each song feels like a single, its own entity, but there's no musical journey, no movements, no cohesion. Ghost Reveries was a traditional Opethian album in the fact that all the songs flowed into one another. Watershed is much more like Damnation; a collection of unrelated songs. Which, again, is not necessarily a bad thing but I just feel very unsatisfied.

Still Heir f**king Apparent!!! HOW SICK IS THAT OUTRO RIFF!!! Sounds like something Mikael borrowed from a MAYH-era outtake. Probably the best heavy song they've ever written.

Interesting observations but as for the emotional factor: I'm not sure you can judge the level of emotion that was put into a song by the level of emotion it evokes in you.

On the flip-side to your sentiments I was once emotionally affected by an Anathema song that I discovered to be contrived by the band's drummer as a "fit in" song, completely empty in their eyes.

So yeah, eye of the beholder and all that.

i dont get how u guys can rank songs like this so easily and so early after album's release.
i dont think i can decide any favorite song for any opeth album..
is demon of the fall better than when? why? drapery falls or bleak? what about the leper affinity? hmmm? ill never be able to say. these things just change too fast.
most astonishes me is how some rank the WHOLE album, one song after another, wtf?

For me its Burden, Heir Apparent close 2nd.

Not surprised porcelain heart has so few, I really dont think that song is very interesting.

I won't vote but I'll share my thoughts, basically because I think The Lotus Eater is phenominal but I won't vote for it because I haven't experienced other songs as much.

Coil - Beautiful start to the album. I couldn't believe how promptly the album started to be honest. Dig the female vocals, and a great way to get an inexperienced friend into Opeth before being confronted with the monster that is Heir Apparent.

Heir Apparent - My gosh, haha I am so obsessed with this song, and as time goes on the transition into the outro makes so much more sense. It really isn't as abrupt as originally thought.

The Lotus Eater - Phenominal. That's all I can say. My mum was evening humming along to it.

Burden - A bit unexpected and definitely a grower. I dig the out of tune outro and think it fits perfectly as long as you view it's relation to Watershed in its entirety rather than just the Burden outro.

Porcelain Heart - Wasn't a fan after the video but it definitely grows on you. I even enjoy the TGC-like riff but am curious as to whether the lead over it would sound better in acoustic or something similar.

Hessian Peel - Blown away. Absolutely gorgeous.

Hex Omega - At first found it uninspiring and a lazy effort in finishing the album. As time goes on it just screams epic.

Yes this seems like a fanboy's post but whatever, I love Watershed :kickass:

I'm kinda surprised by the few number of votes for The Lotus Eater, I guess that's because we already knew the song for some time.
Also, wow, why the hell do people like Heir Apparent that much ?
That's my least favourite by far, I mean, no clean vocals at all, pure riffage from the beginning to the end ; I was expecting Hessian & TLE to own it.