Favorite Bands/New Discoveries

AMBR

Metal Grandma
Mar 12, 2003
New Jersey
This is the place to pump up your favorite bands and share any new discoveries with our metal community. So, let us know who you love, critique the latest cd's and spread the word on great new bands.

Through the amazing work of Arjen Lucassen and his Ayreon project I discovered an amazing vocalist named Eric Clayton, the vocalist of the Christian metal band Saviour Machine. The music is dark and haunting and Clayton's vocals have a David Bowie vibe to them. Very cool and very interesting. However, I do not know how I can acquire more of their work because I have second thoughts about venturing into a Christian music store.

If anyone else is familiar with Saviour Machine, please let me know!

Honestly, the biggest thing that people get tripped up over with music that they really shouldn't is lyrics--who cares what the artist is saying or trying to tell you, really? One of the reason Nightwish's lyrics never reacieve any serious criticism is because there is no clear-cut message. But if an artist DOES have a message that disagrees with you, just don't pay attention to the lyrics!

Look at it this way - if Christian music does not agree with you, that's fine. But you'd be missing out on some great metal: Matt Smith's solo project Theocracy, for one, and of course you snowy just mentioned savior machine. I can't say that I agree with the lyrical messages of all the music I listen to, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music.

i like alot of metal/nonmetal bands.. including Nightwish, lacuna coil, inkubus sukkubus , ebony ark ,in flames, weezer aquabats, less then jake, flaming lips etc...

Hi everybody :wave: Hi Ann :worship:
I was not here since a while - O.K. - far too many bands to mention.
I keep Ann - hopefully - updated with my Heavy Metal News Mail - I hope you still receive that thing honey :)
My lates discoveries are new German band Savage Circus http://www.savage-circus.com/
which is the new project of former Blind Guardian drummer Thomen Stauch and Piet Sielk (Iron Saviour) - damned good thing. sounds like old Blind Guardian. They will make their way similar like Masterplan - I promise :headbang:

and my utmost last thing is Russian Heavy Metal flagship ARIJA - hell is that good !!!!!!! http://www.aria.ru/
check this out !! clear singing. I have discovered this in a Russian tv channel. Videoclip from former Arija singer Valery Kipelov

keep on rockin all together folks :kickass:

Big Tini said:
I keep Ann - hopefully - updated with my Heavy Metal News Mail - I hope you still receive that thing honey :)
My lates discoveries are new German band Savage Circus http://www.savage-circus.com/
which is the new project of former Blind Guardian drummer Thomen Stauch and Piet Sielk (Iron Saviour) - damned good thing. sounds like old Blind Guardian. They will make their way similar like Masterplan - I promise :headbang:

and my utmost last thing is Russian Heavy Metal flagship ARIJA - hell is that good !!!!!!! http://www.aria.ru/
check this out !! clear singing. I have discovered this in a Russian tv channel. Videoclip from former Arija singer Valery Kipelov

Do you mean like, they sound similar to Masterplan? Just wondering because I really love that band and would be willing to check them out...

TheGreatDeciever said:
Do you mean like, they sound similar to Masterplan? Just wondering because I really love that band and would be willing to check them out...
no - sound is not like Masterplan - they sound like the old Blind Guardian.
The singer of Savage Circus is/was formerly the singer from Swedish band "Persuader".
The saying over here in Germany is - they will have pretty good chances to make a similar success story like Masterplan - call it shooting stars in a very short time

TheGreatDeciever said:
Honestly, the biggest thing that people get tripped up over with music that they really shouldn't is lyrics--who cares what the artist is saying or trying to tell you, really? One of the reason Nightwish's lyrics never reacieve any serious criticism is because there is no clear-cut message. But if an artist DOES have a message that disagrees with you, just don't pay attention to the lyrics!

Look at it this way - if Christian music does not agree with you, that's fine. But you'd be missing out on some great metal: Matt Smith's solo project Theocracy, for one, and of course you snowy just mentioned savior machine. I can't say that I agree with the lyrical messages of all the music I listen to, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music.

Oh, the lyrics in Saviour Machine are not the issue as they are not too preachy. It's the fact I would have to go into a Christian music store and be stared at like I am some kind of Satanist.

Hi, Big Tini!

Big Tini said:
no - sound is not like Masterplan - they sound like the old Blind Guardian.
The singer of Savage Circus is/was formerly the singer from Swedish band "Persuader".
The saying over here in Germany is - they will have pretty good chances to make a similar success story like Masterplan - call it shooting stars in a very short time

Oh right right, i gotcha. But, hey, blind guardian kicks ass so yea, hopefully they WILL have a masterplan-esque success story. I'll have to check em out...

Snowy Owl said:
Oh, the lyrics in Saviour Machine are not the issue as they are not too preachy. It's the fact I would have to go into a Christian music store and be stared at like I am some kind of Satanist.

Hi, Big Tini!

Oh, i gotcha. Trust me--it's not that bad. When I was a freshman here at military skool, we couldn't leave campus unless we were in uniform. When ppl looked at you it was always this corny, "Aww, look at that upstanding young man, servin the greater good and all that." But when I walk around in my civilian clothes, ppl always look at my like, "I wonder if that guy's going to steal something? Better keep my children close lest that hoodlum kidnaps them." LOL. PPL are stupid. Go in to that christian store, buy there one kick-ass metal CD, and laugh at the clerk's closemindedness. :headbang:

Big Tini said:

Hey, Big Tini! Glad to have you here! Yes, I've been keeping up to date with the fantastic Heavy Metal News Mail. Even though I can't read everything you say in German, I can always check out the names of the bands and follow the links.
I will have to send you a nice long e-mail soon. So much has been happening!! ProgPower was amazing and I learned to love two bands I had not been familiar with before: Circus Maximus and Stride. :headbang:
As soon as things settle down a bit here, I will tell more.

BTW, guess where I'm going next month! ;)

Disturbed - TenThousand Fists http://www.disturbed1.com/

Dying to check this out. I haven't really been into them all that much, but I'm always ready to give anyone a chance, and if Big Tini likes 'em, it's gotta be good.:headbang: