Favorite Bands/New Discoveries

Ahh...I have missed you my friend.

It seems everything is running on the OSA site, except the forum! Well, gotta take comfort in the small victories. :)

And the cover of the BOC album Fire Of Unknown Origin is one of the most awesome album covers I have ever seen!

Hi Selppinevoli! I remember you from the old OSA-board, :wave: I'm still hanging around at the new OSA-board, too.

Here is one interesting band from Finland: Silentium. They started from ashes of a late death/gothic band back in the mid 90's and have realesed 4 full albums since 1999. The newest came out just a week ago, labeled "Seducia".

Due several changes in lineup during the years, their material has also changed from the early style into more progressive form, and this new CD is very ambitious work indeed. Vocals are mostly done by the new exellent female singer Riina Rinkinen, only few tracks feature male vocals bu bassist Matti Aikio. Also, they changed violin into a cello, thus achieving a much richer and bombastic sound in general.

To categorize Silentium in few words is hard, maybe a combination symphonic/melodic/gothic/epic may give a slight hint to you, but you better go to their website and listen to the samples available on the front page.

This weekend I picked an album by the Altaria project, featuring Jani from Sonata Arctica and good ol' Emppu from the Nightwishers.

A very good album with solid, catchy songs, but the singing leaves something to be desired. Maybe i will get more used to it as time goes by.

Also, I recommend Twilightning to anyone within earshot. A cool name and a band that could be the next Sonata Arctica. Their album Delirium Veil is awesome and I want to get my hands on Plague House Puppet Show soon.

I still check out OSA every now and again, but the forum being in that small frame on the page is just too annoying for me.

I'm a member of too many forums already the way it is, so yeah, something as little as that has kept me away lol...

OK, here is a twist.

You know that one of the biggest hotbeds of metal is in Latin America. It is often ignored by even those who claim to be headbangers. Part of the reason is that many of these bands have their lyrics in Spanish. I have been listening to a band tonight that really touched my fancy with one of their power ballads. Check out Colombia's Katarsis (http://www.katarsismetal.com). the tunes are nice eben if your Spanish is non-existant.

Peace,
Ray C.

PS - Guys, you wanna blow your listeners away? You might want to add them to your playlist.

Stingray11214 said:
OK, here is a twist.

You know that one of the biggest hotbeds of metal is in Latin America. It is often ignored by even those who claim to be headbangers. Part of the reason is that many of these bands have their lyrics in Spanish. I have been listening to a band tonight that really touched my fancy with one of their power ballads. Check out Colombia's Katarsis (http://www.katarsismetal.com). the tunes are nice eben if your Spanish is non-existant.

Peace,
Ray C.

PS - Guys, you wanna blow your listeners away? You might want to add them to your playlist.
I've heard them, and your 100% correct. Should pick some of that up. Another band that kicks ass and sings in Spanish is Tierra Santa. I have like 3 or 4 cd's. Better get 'em over to Dave. Not that his "waiting to go on the radio" stack isn't huge enough!!:dopey:

Attention Progheads!

Ok, now listen up and listen good!

Now that I have your attention: Check out this awesome band from Maryland called Odin's Court (www.odinscourtband.com). They are billed as the premier progressive metal group in the Mid-Atlantic region, and let me tell you...I have seen them grace the same stages as Helloween and Sonata Arctica and they kick freakin' ass! They also opened for Kamelot last year, and have also opened for Devin Townsend, Symphony X, King's X and Seven Witches. Their debut CD Driven By Fate is already availiable, and a new album and DVD are coming soon!

Next shows:
Feb. 25th in Essex, MD at Mac's The Club with Images Of Eden and Division.

March 24th in W. Springfield, VA at the famous Jaxx Nightclub where they will be filming their DVD and releasing a new album!

I will be at both shows as the mission of my forthcoming webzine (tentatively titled One Metal Nation) will focus on great metal acts from the Mid-Atlantic region and the Northeast. I hope to interview these guys and get tons of pics. They are really cool guys.

SUPPORT TRUE METAL IN THE STATES! Yes, it does exist!:headbang:

Snowy Owl said:
Attention Progheads!

Ok, now listen up and listen good!

Now that I have your attention: Check out this awesome band from Maryland called Odin's Court (www.odinscourtband.com). They are billed as the premier progressive metal group in the Mid-Atlantic region, and let me tell you...I have seen them grace the same stages as Helloween and Sonata Arctica and they kick freakin' ass! They also opened for Kamelot last year, and have also opened for Devin Townsend, Symphony X, King's X and Seven Witches. Their debut CD Driven By Fate is already availiable, and a new album and DVD are coming soon!

Next shows:
Feb. 25th in Essex, MD at Mac's The Club with Images Of Eden and Division.

March 24th in W. Springfield, VA at the famous Jaxx Nightclub where they will be filming their DVD and releasing a new album!

I will be at both shows as the mission of my forthcoming webzine (tentatively titled One Metal Nation) will focus on great metal acts from the Mid-Atlantic region and the Northeast. I hope to interview these guys and get tons of pics. They are really cool guys.

SUPPORT TRUE METAL IN THE STATES! Yes, it does exist!:headbang:

I like the music, i don't like the vocals. The singer has, imo, to much trouble to hit the right notes and even more to keep them up for a while. His voice is to "flat"..
The music on the other hand is very divers and melodic, the way i like it.

Just found "Mind's Eye" via some review websites ( M.E's homepage: http://www.roundrec.com ), and I gotta say, after downloading the "Walking-medley", which is their newest album, Walking on H2O, in a medely lol, i'm hooked - have to wait until 7th February over here though (UK) to get the CD! Grrr lol, but hey! Have a listen - I think it's worth the wait to be honest :)

Olddoggie said:
I like the music, i don't like the vocals. The singer has, imo, to much trouble to hit the right notes and even more to keep them up for a while. His voice is to "flat"..
The music on the other hand is very divers and melodic, the way i like it.

Dude! You have got to be kidding me! I love his vocals, and Matt Brookins (the vocalist) is a hell of a nice guy. they are very rock and roll sounding. Very un-prog metal like, but it makes them unique. Besides, they deserve to be signed. Why InsideOut or anyone else has not picked them up yet is beyond me.

Well, that show last night was great! Have many, many pics. Images To Eden were awesome! Division left me in awe, and Odin's Court ruled all! Do yourselves a favor and support American Prog/Power metal! Go to their websites and buy about 900 copies of their albums and make some friends.

Websites:

Images Of Eden: www.imagesofeden.com

Division: www.division-usa.com

Odin's Court: www.odinscourtband.com

SUPPORT THE SCENE! Or the owl will hunt you down....just kidding! But still, support the scene!

Doubt it...they are all mostly Maryland, Virginia and some PA based shows. But you have a car, and you know where I-95 is...so don't fear the drive!

Listen to them soon! I want to reccommend something to YOU for a change. I am on a mission...to help those bands out.

If you want a promo CD for Images Of Eden I can send you one, but I think all three bands have song samples on their websites.

Makes me excited to see bands from the States playing metal the way we like it. They deserve our support!

Preorder DARK EMPIRE - DISTANT TIDES NOW!! (members of Savage Circus, Lilitu)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just letting everyone know that http://www.cdinzane.com is taking preorders for "Distant Tides" starting today. Besides myself on guitar, this features Jens Carlsson of Savage Circus/Persuader on vocals, as well as Noah Martin of Lilitu (now Blood Promise) on bass. This is the only place to get a preorder of Distant Tides.

Check out songs out at www.myspace.com/mattmoliti

Networking is a good thing...

I want to reivew the two albums by Baltimore based Images Of Eden for your site...refer to my e-mail for more...and their singer also agreed to an interview.

He is really cool and a musical genius. Let's help a kick-ass band from the US get some recognition!

Check em out at their website!

(sorry for the shameless plug! It's for a good cause, mi amigos!):headbang: