Favorite Video Games

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
I'm an avid video gamer and i was just wondering what everyone's favorite games are. Here are mine:

Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Any Legend of Zelda
Any 2D Castlevania (especially Symphony of the Night)
Any Final Fantasy
GTA3 and Vice City (PS2)
Any Mario (That bastard owns the platform genre)
Any Metroid
Age of Mythology (thank you fuborc)
Xenosaga (almost and interactive movie, but quite good)

...and alot more that i'll edit in as i think of them

Reactions: mourningstar
I'm gonna list by series...

1. Civilization series (PC/PSX, my fav is Civ II)
2. Total War series (PC, my fav is Medieval, but when Rome: Total War is released it'll probably be that)
3. 2d NHL games from EA (Genesis/SNES, my fav is NHL '96)
4. Arcanum/Fallout Series (PC, I consider them all related, my favorite is Arcanum)
5. The Elder Scrolls II: Morrowind (PS, I've never played any other Elder Scrolls games)
6. Final Fantasy series (NES/SNES/PSX/PS2/PC, my favorite is Final Fantasy 7)
7. 2D Zelda games (NES/GB/SNES, my favorite is the original on the NES)
8. Kirby series (NES/SNES/GB/N64, my favorite is the original on the NES)

That's all I can think of to get organized right now. I'm primarily a PC gamer, some of my other favorites include Icewind Dale (PC) , Age of Wonders II (PC), Interstate 76 (PC), The Dark Eye (PC), NetHack (PC), Metal Slug (Arcades), Super Spike V-Ball (NES), Vectorman (Genesis), Blackthorne (SNES/PC), Lost Vikings (Genesis) and so on.

I also have an odd love of Japanese freeware shooters.

Hm..

Any Final Fantasy, like pancakes i think VII is the best. Despite what everyone says about VI. No game has ever captured me like FFVII.

Metal Gear Solid for PSX
Icewind Dale series for PC
Baldur's Gate series for PC
NHL and FIFA series by EA
Kickstart I+II for C64
And of course CS and JKII for some online gaming. :)

Some newer favs:

Splinter Cell
Neverwinter Nights
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
Command & Conquer: Generals
GTA3

I could prolly make it longer. =/

Pancakes said:
(I'm also th eonly person I know who doesn't like the new GTA games)

You're not now! My favourite GTA is still the original by far. I don't even think GTA 2 is that great. Call me elitist.....I just like the early feel and memories. =) Besides, everything is going all 3D on our asses; who says it's better than the good ol top-down action? Third person 3D sucks ass.

SculptedCold said:
You're not now! My favourite GTA is still the original by far. I don't even think GTA 2 is that great. Call me elitist.....I just like the early feel and memories. =) Besides, everything is going all 3D on our asses; who says it's better than the good ol top-down action? Third person 3D sucks ass.

Yeah! the first part was the best, much harder then its 2 and 3 part.
---------
I like the C&C series a lot, the first one was good, Red Alert was good too, but Tiberian Sun was so slow! the units are moving like snails! RA2 was quite fun, I played for a long time :D
Simcity 3000 was one of my favorites, 'til my dog ATE THE CD!!! :cry: (he didn't ate it, he just chewed it to little pieces!)

Pancakes said:
You know what I found with this game? I played it obsessivley for a while, and then I got really bored with it really fast, then I sold it. And I'm like, the only person I know who doesn't like it

No, you're not. NWN was really promising as a concept, but it just doesn't work. The single player campaign that came with the game was absolutely horrible brainless repetitive unimaginative crap. The online-rpg-with-dm thing didn't seem very smooth, I'd rather play through irc than in that beatiful but restricted world. It also takes large amounts of effort (compared to irc/classic pen&paper rpg) from the gm to get the details working in the gameworld. I haven't played the user-made modules though, I've heard some of them are good.

As for the topic, my favorites:
Half-Life
NHL-series by EA sports
Civilization (I & III)
Steel Panthers I
Baldur's Gate -games (except for the Tales from the Sword Coast - extra cd, which sucks)

I also have to give honourable mention to Mafia, which I just played through. Like GTA3, but with less insane rampage, and with more atmosphere and style (+plot worked, unlike in gta). If just someone would make that kind of a game that is set to cyberpunkish world....

PS: Don't take me wrong way, GTA3 is a great game, but Mafia is better. :)