Female front singers

OK- my list is long, since I'm all for female fronted metal bands!!!

My fave is After Forever. Then Epica, old Theatre of Tragedy, Within Temptation, the Gathering, Beseech, Nightwish, Dreams of Sanity, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, Trail of Tears ( when they still had a female singer) the Project Hate, Distorted, Nightwish, Dead Can Dance ( not metal, but they are awesome)

Here is some stuff you really have to check out: Dutch band Nemesea. They sound a bit like Nightwish/ Lacuna Coil but with a beter singer AND wonderful prog elements!
A Spanish band called Ebony Ark, I first saw them a couple of weeks ago when they played at Epica's Paradiso Amsterdam show and they totally blew me away. What a singer!!! Also with prog elements.

If you want to read more about female fronted metalbands, there is a great label/ webzine from the USA that specializes in the genre:www.soniccatheral.com
They are also the nicest of people- I ran into them at the Epica gig, they flew in to see the show!
Then there is a top of the line festival in Belgium every year, devoted to female fronted bands: Metal Female VoicesYou should check that out as well- they have a killer line up

Very interesting site (btw, you forgot a "d", the correct link is www.soniccathedral.com ). As I can see they don't mention It Will Come and it's normal, as they have recorded only two self-financed demos. But I 'm sure that they will be soon a respectable name in the doom scene.

And Astarte is a greek all-female black metal group, not from Scandinavia as you see in the list.

Sigur Rós? Since when has Sigur Rós been female fronted? I love and adore Sigur Rós, but their singer (Jón) is male.

And Distorted is quite good, need to pick up the new album.

Orfanos said:
Very interesting site (btw, you forgot a "d", the correct link is www.soniccathedral.com ). As I can see they don't mention It Will Come and it's normal, as they have recorded only two self-financed demos. But I 'm sure that they will be soon a respectable name in the doom scene.

And Astarte is a greek all-female black metal group, not from Scandinavia as you see in the list.

Then you should mention them to us on the forums. We're always on the look out for new and upcoming female fronted bands of all styles :)

Corporal McDick said:
Anyone outside Israel ever heard of Distorted? They had female vocals...
I didn't to listen to them too much but I liked their show on Metalist '04...

They still have female vocals...it's not really distorted without Miri

I just made the order for the Distorted CD, Paradoxile.:heh:
Redemption is a really very good song and I hope that the whole album will be interesting.

As Divine Grace was a very underated finnish band that put out the amazing doomy 'Lumo' and the bit different, but still lovely 'supremature'

Flowing Tears is a great band that put out really pleasing, relaxing music without the commercial sound most female fronted bands tend to strive for (lacuna coil)

Octavia Sperati is a really good new norwegian band, groovy and melodic but catchy and accessable at the same time, their debut was quite good but I hope the next release will warrant a more daring and experimental sound.

Decoryah - The most underated band, from Finland, not exactly female fronted but they used excessive female vocals in a lot of their songs - new age metal, amazing

I cant stand a lot of this gothic crap coming out like Leaves Eyes, Liv was never a great singer but now that the music is completely stale and horrid she sounds even worse.

Orfanos said:
I just made the order for the Distorted CD, Paradoxile.:heh:
Redemption is a really very good song and I hope that the whole album will be interesting.

you can also hear their "memorial" song and some of the demo versions of songs from the album right here though as you might find when you'll get the album...the songs were metamophosed completelyhttp://www.garageband.com/artist/distorted

how come nobody mentioned the great MADDER MORTEM?!?! this phantastic band has easily the best female vocals out there! their latest masterpiece 'Desiderata' is clearly my favourite release this year (besides Katatonia's TGCD)

other band with amazing female vocals i'd like to recommend is Gåte, a very young band from Norway. not very heavy, but quite interesting. check this link for a video-stream: http://streaming.reeltime.no/warnermusic/Gaate-Sjaa_Attende.wmv

My Top singer.

Crisis (Karyn Crisis)
Gåte (Gunnhild Sundli)
The Gathering (Anneke Van Gisbergensen)
Moon Of Steel (Sarah Bonetti)
Madder Morten (Agnete Kirkevaag)
After Forever (Floor Jansen)
Stream Of Passion (Marcela Bovio)

Hypnos said:
how come nobody mentioned the great MADDER MORTEM?!?! this phantastic band has easily the best female vocals out there! their latest masterpiece 'Desiderata' is clearly my favourite release this year (besides Katatonia's TGCD)

other band with amazing female vocals i'd like to recommend is Gåte, a very young band from Norway. not very heavy, but quite interesting. check this link or a video-stream: http://streaming.reeltime.no/warnermusic/Gaate-Sjaa_Attende.wmv

Gåte rulz! :headbang:

Hey, noone ever mentioned mighty Cadaveria. I dig the style Cadavera sings very much. She uses her voice amazingly. Check out her at www.cadaveria.com . By the way she sang for Opera IX until 2001. Her work in that band was as good. Apparently not disappointing.

I'm going to be in the minority opinion here, but I really can't get into the female fronted metal band thing at all. Nightwish made a decent record with "Once", but that was really about it, and even Turenen's voice can be too much at times. But all these bands, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Epica, etc etc - its all flash and nothing really substantial, sometimes it gets really sugary and almost hurts your teeth to listen to it.

I'm tired of the psuedo-gothic style that all these female fronted bands are trying to cop - the saturation level of it all is ridiculous now. What happened to the idea of a female singer who could really rock instead of glibbly dithering in an "etheral" manner over some uninspired standard metal riffs?

The only band mentioned in this thread that really has a great, unique voice of their own is The Cranberries, sure they may not be metal, but its a female fronted band that was certainly interesting and had a fresh style. It seems that the best female vocalists out there today aren't in the metal genre. I look at bands like The Donnas today and think, you know, even though they're basically a punkier version of the Runaways, its still refreshing to hear. I'll be waiting for the day that a real deal metal band with a unique female voice comes along - but I won't be holding my breath.