Finnish bands dissing Children of Bodom

Dimmu Bodom

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2004
Thüringen (Germany)
Hi! I am a very big fan of Children of Bodom (they are my favourite band) and I am from Germany. I read in a German Metal mag (Rock Hard) an interview with the Finnish band Ensiferum which I also like very much. The interviewer said that the 3 bands Moonsorrow/Finntroll/Ensiferum (which are very popular in Germany) are the future of Finnish Heavy Metal. And also Children of Bodom but the bass player of Ensiferum answered in that interview "I don't like Children of Bodom at all and here in Finland they have a doubtful reputation among some musicians." Furthermore he said that their drummer calls Children of Bodom "Nintendo-Metal" and this wasn't a joke!

In an online Impaled Nazarene interview (http://www.legacy666.de/vorlage_story.php?action=show&id=113 ) Mikka Luttinen said about Alexi Laiho: "We couldn't rely on him when he was in Impaled Nazarene. [...] He was supposed to write a song for our new album Absence... but he played that song to us only one day for the recordings! So we said to him <You can stick your fucking song elsewhere> and fired him.

Later in that interview he said that they thought their previous album "Nihil" could sell better because Alexi was in the band and many Children of Bodom fans would buy it. But they lost Impaled Nazarene fans because their fans said that the band became traitors because of Laiho.

And I heard that the bands Moonsorrow and Finntroll hate Children of Bodom much and use to talk shit about them. I may be wrong but I think this was because of the memorial concert for Somnium (he was the guitar player of the bands Finntroll and Impaled Nazarene and died last year). I really can't believe why Children of Bodom are so much hated in Finland.

After I read such things, I'm very disappointed because I really liked those bands. Why do they said that? Is it jealousy that they aren't as successful as Children of Bodom? Ensiferum were once support for Children of Bodom but why did they do it if they can't stand the band? And why didn't these hypocrite guys tell it in the face to Children of Bodom? At least I understand now the lyrics from "Hate Crew Deathroll" about backstabbers...

Moonsorrow/Finntroll/Ensiferum/Impaled Nazarene: Rest in peace! Your're dead to me and I will sell my albums of you in ebay.

Thats bullshit when bands dis other bands that are completely different genres of metal. Fucking bastards.

Well, Mister Imp-Naz always speak kinda clearly. And he has (to my knowledge) always pointed out that Alexi never really had time for Impaled Nazarene. But he also said they parted as friends. As for the other rumors, I don't know.

But who cares what they think, as long as they make good music :p

I also read that article in Rock Hard but I cared more for the three live reviews of COB in the mag.

Anyway, we have a trend here in the German Metal scene where Finnish bands are very liked, especially the three mentioned. They are very popular among 13-19 year old Metal fans who like nordic melodies, think they have to go back to their viking roots, wear necklaces of Thor's hammer and drink mead all the time. Yeah, why not?

As far as I know all of these fans know COB but don't like their music that much since it doesn't sound that Finnish and maybe is too mainstream for them. The fans who don't like COB just wanna hear exactly that stuff which the Ensiferum guy says.

About the ImpNaz thing: I think that Luttinen just wanted to sound cool and tough in that interview. From what I know Alexi and he are still friends who party together. But you should keep in mind that Alexi did a lot for Impaled since he joined the band in 1998, wrote 2 songs for them in 1999, played the guitars for the Nihil album, joined the band on many tours and brought them much more attention, so Luttinen doesn't have that much reason to talk negative things about Alexi.

Sister Of Sorrow said:
I just wonder where you heard that Finntroll hate COB and if it's true...At least they played the Memorial show for Teemu together and Alexi dedicated "Everytime I die" to Teemu "Somnium" on every single show of the European tour last year.
Well, there were some not so nice problems. In the end everything went well. I will tell it to you in a detailed way next time we meet.

I would be a pissed off too if somebody said they would help out on some songs then bullshit out of it. But I don't seen any reason to drag it on a year or more later and start talking shit about the person's band.

Alexi probably found out that he didn't have the extra time he thought he had to do it. So I'm fairly sure he did the best that anybody could do to help out.

And then contributing a song to the ex guitar player of Finntroll seems like a really nice thing to do. Whether these other bands like Children of Bodom's music or not, COB don't deserve this shit that's being said about them.

Children of Bodom are writing the best music they can, just as Finntroll and Impaled Nazerene are doing. Impaled Nazerene even needed help from Alexi at one time. Asking him for help then dissing his music later is kind of ironic isn't it?

I've never really listened to Impaled Nazerene but I do listen to Finntroll quite a bit. Alexi's music writing is far more technical and inovative than Finntroll.

I can't believe the guys from Moonsorrow and Finntroll would talk shit about CoB. I love them both, but I never thought their members could be THAT assholes...that is, if Alexi isn't as annoying as they say.

As for moonsorrow/ensiferum/finntroll, i don't think they hate CoB that much, CoB just has become extremely "teen" band here in Finland, and that has scared all "true" fans away, very few "true" metalheads dare to say they like bodom if they do. Most of the people who listen to bodom round here are around 12-16 or age and are acting like fucking idiots ("children of bodom you fuck you all fucking suck we're so badass coz we listen to bodom fuck everything ect...") And what come to Luttinen and impnaz, he talks shit about anything and everyone, no one takes him that seriously.

Hehe lighten up everyone. I like COB alot and also Ensiferum alot and I think the term Nintendo metal is a funny one. Wow I didn't know I liked nintendo metal
Who cares what other band rivalries there are because it won't change my opinions on any.

Oh my fucking goodness, someone said something against COB? What in the name of god is going up her???? That's sooo unfair!!!

As far as I know Alexi, he and me would never be friends I think, but who the fuck cares? I love his music, I love the way he's playing and I don't care if he WOULD be an asshole....
I like Jaska and Henkka, they are nice people...

Kirurgisti said:
I can't believe the guys from Moonsorrow and Finntroll would talk shit about CoB. I love them both, but I never thought their members could be THAT assholes...that is, if Alexi isn't as annoying as they say.
Yes, it is true. At that time when Somnium died and the plans for his memorial concert were set up, one musician of Finntroll insulted Children of Bodom very badly because they said they couldn't play there. This musician plays in Moonsorrow, too...

Sister Of Sorrow said:
I just wonder where you heard that Finntroll hate COB and if it's true...At least they played the Memorial show for Teemu together and Alexi dedicated "Everytime I die" to Teemu "Somnium" on every single show of the European tour last year. So their relationship can't be as bad... :confused: ? I just see no reason why Finntroll should hate COB...
Yes, it is true. At that time when Somnium died and the plans for his memorial concert were set up, one musician of Finntroll insulted Children of Bodom very badly because they said they couldn't play there. This musician plays in Moonsorrow, too...

Sister Of Sorrow said:
Anyway, I won't sell my Finntroll or Ensiferum CDs as I love them too much :headbang: . Pretty funny I wore my COB sweater on one of the gigs of their tour in April :lol:. Good choice, heh ?!
Ok, maybe I was too fast when I wrote that and I didn't sell my albums yet but it is not the same anymore when I listen to the songs of Ensiferum now. I can't enjoy the music anymore by having the fact in mind that some of teh musicians there are fucking assholes.

But maybe the bands deserve our pity for telling everybody and everywhere how much they can't stand Children of Bodom. I never heard that Children of Bodom ever said something negative about their Finnish colleagues. That is a reason why Children of Bodom will be forever my number 1!

fuck i'm so pissed off,i wrote long post on this topic,but somehow i probably screw it up...damn...btw Sister of sorrow,is that you in the middle of that you'r pic?that person who has darkred hair,and is middle off it looks nice ;)