Forgotten and underrated games thread

Under a Stone

Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
What games that you loved that nearly everyone didn't really care about and forgot about them?

Mine are these

Sacrifice(PC)
Battle Rleams(PC)
Populous: The Begining(PC)
Bio Freaks(N64)

Demonworld (PC)
Albion (PC)
Cybermage (PC)
Entomorph (PC)
Death Gate (PC)
Ravenloft - Stone Prophet (PC)
Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession (PC)
Darksun - Shattered Lands (PC)
Shannara (PC)
Fantasy General (PC)
Pacific General (PC)
Sword of Hope (Gameboy)

Does anybody remember any of these games?

Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Startopia (PC)

Both sold pitiful amounts despite being highly innovative, original and enjoyable games.

Forsaken (pc)
Archmedian Dynasty (pc)
Shattered Steel (pc)
Crusader (pc)

There was a Novalogic robot game a long time ago, it was great, and you had to build nodes, similar to UT2004, in order to destry bases, and you piloted one of several different mechs. They were supposed to come out with an expansion pack, but never did cause the game didn't sell. I don't remember the name of the game, but I loved it.

Many others I can't even begin to remeber...

Pretty much every Dreamcast game
Shenmue 1 & 2 (DC, Xbox)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Beyond Good & Evil (all systems)
General Chaos (Genesis)

HarmonyDies.... said:
Gunstar Heroes.(Sega Genesis) (I don't know anyone else who knows this game)
Really? Every 'Best Genesis game' list I see that game is always on there, and as it should be, it's excellent, it's got a huge cult following, like River City Ransom (NES).

Deathrow rocks. One of the few great games on Xbox if you ask me.
General Chaos was also lots of fun, I spent many an hour playing two player.

I would've said River City Ransom since I think it's the greatest game ever, but I didn't think it was forgotten or underrated, since, like you said, it has a big cult following and it always makes "best games ever" lists on major gaming sites.

haha Gunstar heroes was fucking amazing and I still have that game. The graphics had a great anime feel to em and you cant beat the co-op play. The fighting system was pretty vast for its time as well, it had throw and jump attacks as well as numerous combos of gun settings. General Chaos as well, my friend and I always played co-op on that one, was just waaaaaay too short.

Did anyone play the Y's series? The one on Super Nes was the only one I played but I thought that game was awesome. How bout Vay on Sega CD? I loved that game was well, I was hot off the heels of playing Lunar and got that and I thought it had a great story and a pretty good soundtrack as well.

TrevJ said:
Deathrow rocks. One of the few great games on Xbox if you ask me.
General Chaos was also lots of fun, I spent many an hour playing two player.

:worship:

I just remembered some more:

GunValkyrie (Xbox)
Breakdown (Xbox)
Mafia (PC, the Xbox/PS2 ports sucked, home of a great story and one of the best game endings ever)
007: The World Is Not Enough (N64)
Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)
Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (all systems)
Aggressive Inline (all systems, so good that THPS4 copied it!)
Nanosaur (Mac, damn fun game)
Bubble Trouble (Mac, addictive as hell)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (PC, best Star Wars game ever!)
Crimson Sea (Xbox)
Serious Sam (Xbox)

Rescue Raiders (Apple II) (probably the first RTS game ever made)
Alone in the Dark (PC) (The first 3rd person polygon adventure game like Tomb Raiders)

I need to check out the latest Prince of Persia, since everyone seems to think it's great. I also need to get Beyond Good and Evil since it's cheap as hell and apparently really good.

Also: JSRF is incredible. Even though I'm not particularly fond of my Xbox, I still break it out every now and then just to play that game.