Frontman...

I do not see why when a "front man" must be chosen. In most cases, it is whoever gets up and sings. I've seen projects that have been a mediocre band built around a guitarist (It's actually the guitarist who is the artist, and the others fill the rest of the sound) and the guy providing bland lyrics is acclaimed the "front man" for some reason.

It elevates the said person's esteem and lowers the importance of the others, as everyone starts to believe that the "frontman" is all there really is to the band. Bah.

Good old Ihsahn fits the specifications set quite nicely, except for his singing at times. Akerfeldt is also pretty damn good as far as frontmen go, even though he doesn't strike me as terribly charismatic.

Originally posted by Sullen Jester
I do not see why when a "front man" must be chosen. In most cases, it is whoever gets up and sings. I've seen projects that have been a mediocre band built around a guitarist (It's actually the guitarist who is the artist, and the others fill the rest of the sound) and the guy providing bland lyrics is acclaimed the "front man" for some reason.

Helloween was supposed to do it like this. They have expressed the desire to not have a front man and have different people taking interviews, because in the early days they had a front man and the band members found it increndibly stupid that one person was supposed to answer questions about lyrics he did not write, or musical parts he didn't participate in (I think Grapow was a part of this, particularly, having written a great deal for the band, and coming into it all when they were already big; thus a bit of a silent partner in the beginning). I think it's worked in their case, somewhat. I don't see Deris as their front man. I'm not really sure who the front man is. The one who sure seems to be doing the most decision-making seems to be Weikath, but if you go to one of their concerts, he is hardly even present (you're more likely to see him in the corner of the stage, smoking, than playing the guitar). Grapow did a great deal as well, prior to leaving/being kicked.