Daniel Gildenlow vs Michael Akerfeldt

I lost my interest in Pain of Salvation and pretty much anything Gildenlöw has done recently. After I read an interview (like Zantera said) with Gildenlöw I realized what a pretentious asshole the guy is. The worst part about it is that now, whenever I listen to his music, I hear the pretentiousness in the lyrics and the music, which really makes it impossible to listen to. Really, if you don't think he's pretentious, and you don't hear it in his music, that's great, but I do.

Anyways, even if I hadn't read that interview, Åkerfeldt would have still won by miles, as I prefer his vocal style and guitar playing to Gildenlöw's.

I think it's kinda dumb to compare musicians and artists in general, but that's just me. Carry on. :)

I lost my interest in Pain of Salvation and pretty much anything Gildenlöw has done recently. After I read an interview (like Zantera said) with Gildenlöw I realized what a pretentious asshole the guy is. The worst part about it is that now, whenever I listen to his music, I hear the pretentiousness in the lyrics and the music, which really makes it impossible to listen to. Really, if you don't think he's pretentious, and you don't hear it in his music, that's great, but I do.

Yeah, i feel the same.
Before i read the interview, i had only heard like the live albums, scarsick and remedy lane with PoS, and was interested in listening more to them.
After that, i just lost faith in the band.
Can't really listen to their music without thinking about what asshole Daniel is. =/

There are very few rock musicians that aren't either idiots or dicks, so I just ignore interviews as often as I can unless they only focus on the music. No point in risking ruining things that I like.

Oh, and I've met Daniel and we ended up talking for hours. I think he's a very nice guy and a talented musician without a doubt. I've no idea where he stands politically but my guess he's a bit more opinionated than myself. I just like to rock, that't it.

Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8454513 said:
Oh, and I've met Daniel and we ended up talking for hours. I think he's a very nice guy and a talented musician without a doubt. I've no idea where he stands politically but my guess he's a bit more opinionated than myself. I just like to rock, that't it.

Mike

No, I'm sure he's a really nice guy and he certainly seems that way, but I sometimes get the feeling that he can be quite rude sometimes. Here's a direct quote from the interview I read:

"That's what makes me lose faith in humanity. People vote for Bush and they go see Amon Amarth."

I don't really get why he has to be so rude, and (he might kill me if he read this) narrow minded sometimes. Amon Amarth is a band. That's it, just a band (IMO a great one). I don't see why there's something so wrong with their music that the people who listen to Amon Amarth are making him lose faith in humanity. The same goes for Americans who voted for Bush. They're just people who voted for a legit candidate in an election. Why are they such horrible people?

I love how every thread on every forum I post on that has to do with Gildenlöw or Pain of Salvation ends up being about Gildenlöws personality.:lol:

No, I'm sure he's a really nice guy and he certainly seems that way, but I sometimes get the feeling that he can be quite rude sometimes. Here's a direct quote from the interview I read:

"That's what makes me lose faith in humanity. People vote for Bush and they go see Amon Amarth."

I don't really get why he has to be so rude, and (he might kill me if he read this) narrow minded sometimes. Amon Amarth is a band. That's it, just a band (IMO a great one). I don't see why there's something so wrong with their music that the people who listen to Amon Amarth are making him lose faith in humanity. The same goes for Americans who voted for Bush. They're just people who voted for a legit candidate in an election. Why are they such horrible people?

I love how every thread on every forum I post on that has to do with Gildenlöw or Pain of Salvation ends up being about Gildenlöws personality.:lol:

Yeah it's funny. After hearing those words you may think he is Bertnard Russell or something :lol:

Another random idiot and pain of salvation is not good music either not to mention his vocals..

By the way I laugh at some people here who think that Gildenlöw's clean singing and/or Mikael's are the best. I mean what the fuck? Go listen to opera singers and see how human voice is controlled in a technically proficient way. Mikael's voice is too fucking beautiful but that's it pretty much, and to be frank he is not also naturally talented on that issue too. Listen to İbrahim Tatlıses for example, he doesnt have any musical education yet he can control his voice superbly.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8454511 said:
With the risk of sounding like a dick or an idiot.

I don't think this is exclusive to musicians. Most people are idots and/or dicks.

Am I right or am I right?

Cheers
Mike

You are right.

I wonder who'd win a fight between Gildenlöw and Varg Vikernes :rolleyes:

no.. but seriously... I vote for Mikael, as he's the most awesome musician to wander this planet at this very moment, now that Pekka Pohjola took his eternal nap.

I don't like Gildenlöw's vocals at all either. nor his guitar-playing.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8454511 said:
With the risk of sounding like a dick or an idiot.

I don't think this is exclusive to musicians. Most people are idots and/or dicks.

Am I right or am I right?

Cheers
Mike

Well, yeah, of course. I just mean musicians aren't really any more likely to be appealing personalities compared to anyone else. I pretty much only read interviews with musicians who have a reputation for being down to earth and having a sense of humor, like say, Mikael or Paul Kuhr or the guys from Meshuggah.

Although, some of the jerky musicians are at least funny about it, like say Frank Zappa (best interview candidate).

Wow. You didn't understand that thing you quoted at all did you?

I LOVE the music both of these guys make.......

Thankfully we are around at the time they are making this awsome music!!!

Does Mike has any musical education?? I remember seeing a pic of him holding a piece of paper where it's written :" je prend des cours de chants clair" ("I'm getting clean vocals classes") but i don't know if it's a joke or a fact.