Daniel Gildenlow vs Michael Akerfeldt

I would have to say Akerfeldt because, to me, Opeth has the most listenable material. Miakel's vocals, harsh and clean, make the music more listenable, such as the song blackwater park. He adds some much intensity to the songs on Blackwater Park and other albums.

But Daniel has the widest range and is clearly the best all range singer in music period. I really like alot off of Remedy Lane, Perfect Element Pt. 1 and also Entropia. He is a great singer who adds alot of emotion and feeling, not to say that Akerfeldt doesn't though.

That really is a hard question to answer, but if i had to choose it would be Akerfeldt for sure.

a little bit late..eh?

I will go with Gildenlöw.. my favourite voice for years.. flawless..
I am also obsessed with Daniels lyrics more than Mikaels..

a topic related question: what cds other than remedy lane are worth checking out? I prefer the proggier side showed on songs like fandango and ending theme.

Pain of Salvations discography isn't really that big so I recommend all the other studio albums too (even Scarsick). But if you have to go with one or two albums i recommend The Perfect Element, Part 1 (their best album) and Entropia (debut album which is extremely fresh and creative).

To keep it on topic.. I'm not really sure who I like the most. Mikael has maybe the best growl ever and a damn prett clean voice too. Gildenlöw doesn't scream or growl but has a very varied clean vocal style, but since Mike can both crowl and sing clean I'm going with him.

Imo Åkerfeldt > Gildenlöw.
I've kinda lost my touch with Pain Of Salvation after reading a interview with Gildenlöw, he's such a dick as a person.
I really hate him.

One's an America-hating rapper and the other is a pretty amazing vocalist and songwriter.

Gee...

And let the flaming begin, but I'll add that it takes a shitload of douchebaggery for me to ignore some pretty damn good music just because of who wrote it, but Gildenlow qualifies with flying colors. If he ever comes here, I can only pray that Sharon Osbourne helps me sneak in a few eggs.

One's an America-hating rapper and the other is a pretty amazing vocalist and songwriter.

Wow, how stupid are you? Have you listened to ONE SONG by them ever? It's pretty much undeniable that Gildenlow is a vastly superior singer (technically) to Akerfeldt, and based on material contained on their albums, he's a better guitarist (technically) too. Scarsick is a steaming pile of shit, it's true, but this post is still amazingly full of fail. TPE1/Remedy Lane >>>>> every single Opeth album imo, though the rest of their albums aren't up to Opeth's good ones and scarsick is legitimately awful.

I honestly think that

Joe Duplantier

of Gojira is incredibly underrated as a vocalist.... the lyrical aggression that comes from him is absolutely nuts... and it's not something that stretches out or gets annoying as it blends perfectly with the barrage of constant riffing and drums. Global Warming, Where Dragons Dwell, A Sight to Behold, Flying Whales, Love... all masterpieces of lyrical talent. Honestly I think comparing daniel to akerfeldt isnt quite fair, two completely different styles of vocals but akerfeldt easily takes the cake.

Who else can do an album like damnation and then go on to create new bloodbath masterpieces? No one... aside from mikael of course. His range (and talent) is unrivaled.

***IMO*** The guy from Gojira is more bearable than the guy from Meshuggah but he is still annoying as fuck and a dreadful vocalist. If I want clean vocal aggression I'd rather listen to early Tool or Slayer than straight yelling. RAH RAH RAH WHALES WHALES WHALES RAWR RAWR YELL YELL

Mikael can growl like satan himself and his clean vocals are heavenly.

Definately one of the best vocalists I've heard

TPE1/Remedy Lane >>>>> every single Opeth album imo, though the rest of their albums aren't up to Opeth's good ones

definitely agree with you there.. but come on.. Scarsick is not that bad or at least it has grown on me..

I can't forgive Daniel for Scarsick. BE is massively overrated too (Iter Impius and Martius Nauticus II aside), and how pretentious was the live show? The first 4 albums and 12_5 were all bloody brilliant, but his recent inconsistency is causing me to lose faith. I'm not even sure I want to hear TPE pt 2 as I will probably be incredibly let down.