Fuck this

Well ok, looking back...the only two really bad falls I have had are last night, and the time I skidded out in the rain and fucked my knees. But that was on my old, shitty bike before I bought Kestrel. There have been a few more little ones, but if you get on a bike without expecting the odd scrape or bruise, you're going to be disappointed :)

salty said:
or you could just do a vivyan and write VERY METAL in texta

The Young Ones! :headbang: Quick, Vyvyan, eat the tv!

Wenda said:
Agh, yesterday was shaping up so well - but then I got hit by a car on the way home :(

I'm mostly ok. I got away with nasty cuts and bruises and some minor concussion, which has cleared up by this morning. Fortunately the car was slowing down to take a corner - not quite enough, it turned out - and wasn't going as fast as normal. I was on a pedestrian crossing going from one part of the bikeway to another. I don't remember the collision but I suspect I took the brunt of it on my right hip, because my arse there is sore as fuck this morning. :erk: Miraculously my bike is also mostly ok, the back wheel and handlebars are bent but it made it through. Which is more than you can say for her car, because I did a pretty fucking good job on her windscreen with my head. Hooray for bike helmets.

So yeah, that's one corner I'll be walking across from now on, it's a bitch of a spot visibility-wise for both drivers and bikes :erk:

It's illegal to ride your bike across a pedestrian crossing, you had it coming karyn.

Oh I had it coming did I Josh? I deserved to be hit?

Fuck you. I don't know anything about it being illegal to ride your bike across a zebra crossing, perhaps it was and I should know better.

I'm taking it lightly now, but I'm well aware that if things had been even slightly different, I could have been killed and I was fucking lucky to get off as lightly as I did. It's a dangerous corner, both she and I weren't quite as careful as we could have been, and we're both aware of that. To have a dipshit like you tell me I deserve to have been hit is just...I don't even know what to say. Asshole.

*Hands Karyn a gigantic super sized bowl of Milo and Ice Cream. To share with me.* :)

Wenda said:
Oh I had it coming did I Josh? I deserved to be hit?

Fuck you. I don't know anything about it being illegal to ride your bike across a zebra crossing, perhaps it was and I should know better.

I'm taking it lightly now, but I'm well aware that if things had been even slightly different, I could have been killed and I was fucking lucky to get off as lightly as I did. It's a dangerous corner, both she and I weren't quite as careful as we could have been, and we're both aware of that. To have a dipshit like you tell me I deserve to have been hit is just...I don't even know what to say. Asshole.

You have to walk your bike across a pedestrian crossing, I'm sorry to sound so harsh but it really fucking annoys me when cyclists just scream across one and expect you to stop in time. I have forgotten how many times I have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting one.

Cyclists are inconsiderate for the most post.

ps. quit fucking leaning on my car.

I did not "just scream" across the crossing, nor do I. I had slowed down, looked, not seen anyone coming, and gone. I didn't look quite far enough over my shoulder - as I said, the visibility at that corner is shocking, for both the crosser and the driver.

Why bother slamming on the brakes anyway, if we 'have it coming' for riding across the crossing? And I don't fucking lean on cars.

Riding across a road on a crossing (s248)
You must never ride your bike across a pedestrian crossing, children's crossing or marked foot crossing (crossing with lights) unless there is also a bike light at the crossing. If you want to cross a crossing, you need to dismount your bike and walk across or travel with the flow of vehicle traffic.

Taken from http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/index/cyc_safety_roadrules

Wenda said:
Why bother slamming on the brakes anyway, if we 'have it coming' for riding across the crossing? And I don't fucking lean on cars.

I am saying, the amount of times I have had to do it, it's a matter of time before I hit one, or you get hit. Thus, by doing it, you had it coming.

So the car magically would not have hit her had she been walking the bike across the pedestrian crossing instead of riding it?

Well no, the car wouldn't have hit her, by the time she had dismounted the bike and started walking across the car would have passed. Shen would have been able to look further over her shoulder anyway, and thus would have seen the car.

This is where my problem lies, Karyn is a cyclist and doesn't even know basic laws regarding cycling. She isn't the only one, I can guarentee you that not many of them actualy do know the laws. Cyclists are a hazard and should be banned, or have to pass a competency test to prove they know the laws.

Maybe instead of clipping the wheel and Karyn having minor injuries, if she had got off the bike and walked she would have been hit dead on and that would have been it. If the car hit someone on a bike, they would have hit someone NOT on a bike, so id like to know why the fruitcake driving the car was not paying attention to the road ahead when there is a pedestrian crossing.

The point still stands that if she had gotten off her bike, she would have seen the car coming.

When crossing a road do you look both ways to make sure it's safe? of course you do, Karyn admits to not being able to see all the way over her shoulder and that she didn't see the car.

The driver isn't to blame in this situation, as the driver wasn't the one breaking the law.

Well technically the driver did break the law as driver's must give way to pedestrian crossings... regardless of whether a person is on a bike or not. It doesn't say in the law that it is open season to hit all those crossing on bikes.

Look, for god's sake Josh - I'm not arguing with you about that. I already admitted that I should have known better and am to blame here, so you can quit preaching at me (and Spawn, thanks for sticking up for me but he's right, if I had been walking it I probably wouldn't have been hit. I'll be around for the milo ice cream later). But god, you know how to be a fucking prick about things don't you.

Coops, You only have to give way to foot traffic on a pedestrian crossing. Hence the name.

The noun "pedestrian" has 1 sense in WordNet.

1. pedestrian, walker, footer -- (a person who travels by foot)

the law states that I must only give way to foot traffic on a pedestrian crossing, but I give way to cyclists anyway because I am a considerate driver.