Give me classical music tips

two years later:

ScottG said:
Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition
Grieg - In The Hall of The Mountain King
Berlioz - March To The Scaffold
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
i got all these yesterday for like $2.50 total (theres other stuff on these discs too -- ie the whole peer gynt suite by grieg + others and then berlioz' entire op. 14 symphonie fantastique)

the mussorgsky thing is an orchestral arrangement by ravel which isnt 100% true to the original piano composition i guess but it sounds cool so far

Verdi
La Traviata: Brindisi
(pretty decent opera, I love it)

Ravel
Bolero: Tempo di bolero moderato assai
(pretty popular thing, still awesome though)

Pachelbel
Canon in D minor

Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No.1 in B flar minor,Op23

Boccherini
Menuet

Holst
The Planets: Jupiter

Bach
Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major BWV 1068: Air
(just a beautiful thing)

I like Stravinsky , Bartok, Philip Glass (very great minimalistic stuff), John Adams, Gorecki and especially Shostakovich

I don't really have extensive knowledge in the classical genre:erk:

The music library here on campus is giving away a shitload of classical vinyl for free... Housecleaning, I guess. Today I picked up:
Rachmaninov - 3rd Symphony + Isle of the Dead
Respighi - Fountains of Rome + Pines of Rome
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring + something else I'm forgetting
Bach - The Goldberg Variations
Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos
Fucking Score.

ATTN DickSirloin: You need to go get some free shit. They'll be giving these away at least through this Friday.

Anyone have any recommendations for which to look?

The music library here on campus is giving away a shitload of classical vinyl for free... Housecleaning, I guess. Today I picked up:
Rachmaninov - 3rd Symphony + Isle of the Dead
Respighi - Fountains of Rome + Pines of Rome
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring + something else I'm forgetting
Bach - The Goldberg Variations
Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos
Fucking Score.

ATTN DickSirloin: You need to go get some free shit. They'll be giving these away at least through this Friday.

Anyone have any recommendations for which to look?

Just walk in there and get shit, huh? Fuckin' ace. Is the limit 5?

+ did you get duke tickets?

No limit. Lady behind the counter told me to take as many as I could carry. Definitely going back tomorrow. No Duke tickets. :(

Classical music is boring as fuck. Gayest instruments ever. Harpsichord? haha
Jazz owns classical.

rollbarfoq8.gif

Anyone interested in minimalist choral music should listen to Arvo Pärt! I've played his works (especially Litany and Fratres) to many people who consider themselves metalheads, and it seems to tap into something similar with them as metal music. As with many great metal songs, Pärt's work is about making disharmony into harmony. Like creating intervals that are, perhaps, theoretically absurd, but when played out loud, sound divine.

Another choral music composer you should all get acquainted with is Carlo Gesualdo. This guy's surrounded by a sort of dark aura, and there are great many legends about him. He killed his wife and her lover, presumably went mad, and started composing the most weird music Reneissance composers ever created. His music was way ahead of its time. I mean, when students of music (university level entrance exam) are asked during which period Gesualdo's music was composed, they almost invariably answer it's modern classical music from the late 20th century.