Give them a break already!

Triste

gazing into the deep
May 4, 2001
Echo Park
Visit site
This is something that I've been thinking about for quite a while but I finally decided to say something after reading that Opeth is business thread.

Opeth do not and never have owed anyone but themselves anything. They work really really hard and for people to continually scrutinize and criticize everything they do is unfair and shows how much disregard people have toward all the work Opeth does to make sure YOU can listen to good music. They've been on tour almost continually for over a year busting their asses. I'm just tired of people analyzing everything they do under a microscope and repeatedly saying how much this or that sucks...For the time being, this is their job and they have to make a living. If you don't like something that they do, keep it to yourself (and if you have to share, try to make the criticism constructive)! If you don't like something they put out, don't buy it! If you think you can do better, do it! But don't put them down. They deserve all the money and support they can get.

That is all.

Reactions: Fevermist
Triste said:
They work really really hard and for people to continually scrutinize and criticize everything they do is unfair and shows how much disregard people have toward all the work Opeth does to make sure YOU can listen to good music.
Have you ever criticized a band? I certainly hope not, because most, if not all, bands "work really really hard". If you have ever criticized any band, you are a hypocrite. Lame.

BTW, Opeth has said in interviews that they only rehearse the songs a few times and that they really don't work that hard at all. Read up, kid.

don't opeth owe me? after all, i invested in that band. i bought a tshirt from them. not only did that put money in their pocket for them doing no work, it gave them free advertisement space (my chest).

also, i would guess that opeth don't work hard to make sure I have good music, but rather work to make music that luckily for them i think is good. it not altruistic at all.

Dreamlord said:
Have you ever criticized a band? I certainly hope not, because most, if not all, bands "work really really hard". If you have ever criticized any band, you are a hypocrite. Lame.

BTW, Opeth has said in interviews that they only rehearse the songs a few times and that they really don't work that hard at all. Read up, kid.

Actually, I have critcized my friends' bands before I don't tell them that everything they do sucks at all. Far from it. Even if I don't necessarily like their music I try to find something in it that's good and I respect that they are even putting in the effort to make music. From personal experience, I do know how hard it is being in a band...and I've never even gone on tour.

And yes, Opeth do only rehearse for a few times but that doesn't negate that they've been on the road touring nonstop, not to mention recording two albums in the midst of it all. I actually have read every interview I can find and probably personally know them better than you.

So, get your facts straight before making assumptions. Kid.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument at all, but I do feel that they deserve considerably more recognition from their fans. Although, I do wonder Dreamlord, why you even bother coming to this board because you're one of the people who continually berates everything that they've done. Why do you even bother keeping up with a band that you don't like? Don't have anything more constructive to do?

Triste said:
Actually, I have critcized my friends' bands before I don't tell them that everything they do sucks at all. Far from it. Even if I don't necessarily like their music I try to find something in it that's good and I respect that they are even putting in the effort to make music. From personal experience, I do know how hard it is being in a band...and I've never even gone on tour.
Barring your friends' bands, you've never, even remotely criticized a band? I find that hard to believe.

And yes, Opeth do only rehearse for a few times but that doesn't negate that they've been on the road touring nonstop, not to mention recording two albums in the midst of it all.
Lots of bands write albums while on the road. This is not exclusive to Opeth.

I actually have read every interview I can find and probably personally know them better than you.
Whoopty-doo.

So, get your facts straight before making assumptions. Kid.
Not one time did I make an assumption. I first asked a question, then I made two statements, then I stated a fact. No assumption to be found.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument at all, but I do feel that they deserve considerably more recognition from their fans.
Why? Don't all bands?

Although, I do wonder Dreamlord, why you even bother coming to this board because you're one of the people who continually berates everything that they've done.
That, kid, is an assumption, and quite false. If you would "get your facts straight", you'd know that I somewhat enjoy their first four albums.

Why do you even bother keeping up with a band that you don't like? Don't have anything more constructive to do?
Giving a fair debate is constructive. Unless you'd like me to join the ranks of ass kissing fanboys.

Opeth has been touring for almost a year...i think the people who think they are big business arent seeing what they are doing for their fans..they are working themselves half dead so they can play for everyone...i mean hell, do you think Mikael has actually had time to spend with his new wife? doesnt sound like it...Sure they now can make a living squarely on Opeth but it makes me a bit sad when people say all these nasty things about them, like how they are selling out etc...

They've been on tour almost continually for over a year busting their asses.

They have been on tour all year, but they haven't played many shows. Here are all the gigs they've played this year, not including the ten or so since the end of the Damnation tour. Here are 100, so... 110 shows, about, this year? That's not really all that many... You assume that every Opeth fan on earth goes to this board. Like, a handful of people say that "Opeth is business," and you act like no one recognizes their real talent. My guess is probably 1/25 of all Opeth fans feel like they're selling out.

17-01-2003
18-01-2003
19-01-2003
21-01-2003
22-01-2003
23-01-2003
24-01-2003
25-01-2003
27-01-2003
29-01-2003
31-01-2003
01-02-2003
02-02-2003
03-02-2003
09-02-2003
12-02-2003
13-02-2003
14-02-2003
15-02-2003
16-02-2003
17-02-2003
20-02-2003
22-02-2003
24-02-2003
25-02-2003
26-02-2003
27-02-2003
28-02-2003
01-03-2003
02-03-2003
04-03-2003
05-03-2003
06-03-2003
07-03-2003
08-03-2003
10-03-2003
12-03-2003
14-03-2003
15-03-2003
16-03-2003
17-03-2003
19-03-2003
05-04-2003
06-04-2003
10-04-2003
11-04-2003
12-04-2003
13-04-2003
14-04-2003
18-04-2003
29-04-2003
30-04-2003
02-05-2003
03-05-2003
04-05-2003
05-05-2003
06-05-2003
08-05-2003
09-05-2003
10-05-2003
11-05-2003
12-05-2003
14-05-2003
15-05-2003
16-05-2003
17-05-2003
18-05-2003
20-05-2003
21-05-2003
22-05-2003
23-05-2003
24-05-2003
12-06-2003
15-06-2003
26-06-2003
28-06-2003
29-06-2003
01-07-2003
02-07-2003
03-07-2003
04-07-2003
06-07-2003
12-07-2003
15-07-2003
16-07-2003
17-07-2003
18-07-2003
19-07-2003
20-07-2003
21-07-2003
23-07-2003
24-07-2003
25-07-2003
26-07-2003
28-07-2003
30-07-2003
31-07-2003
02-08-2003
03-08-2003

Opeth owe us everything. we are thier fans

if opeth would stop trying to be porcupine tree for five fucking minutes and go back to what they really are things might be different
I personally think i have every right to be pissed off if i go to see them in march and they play a blinder for the deliverance tour then i bust MY ass to get over the water to see them in shepards bush and they don't play anything bar one song from the first four albums. Fuck that
its not on

I couldn't be arsed reading this thread in it's entirety, and while I agree with triste on general principle, way I just ask you (Triste), if we can't discuss the band on the Opeth forum.... what do we discuss? :err:

Opeth don't owe us anything, if you don't like their fuckin albums dont buy them! dumbass

Mikael said a lot of times he didn't care about what the fans were saying about them, I think I know why now!

Wow, this thread went from pretty cool to lame in 3 posts! What the fuck do Opeth "owe" you? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. People take what a band does way too seriously. It's almost like its a defining moment in their life when an album gets put out. Be thankful for the cds that you have in your collection which wouldn't have been possible without Mikael's genius. Do you think another band is capable of such music? Obviously not or there would be more bands out there that sounded like them. As for trying to sound like Porcupine Tree...please! Opeth doesn't sound anything like Porcupine tree. Remember this...Opeth and Porcupine Tree are in the SAME GENRE so therefore there will be some similarities, but I think both bands are unique and two of the best out there right now. Just because Steven Wilson produces some Opeth and sometimes sings on the occasional Opeth song doesn't mean they sound alike. Have you heard anything by Porcupine Tree besides "In Absentia"? Do you sit in your living room listening to both bands and take notes where they are similar so you can come in here and bitch about it?

Geez....retarded!

MindInsane said:
Do you think another band is capable of such music? Obviously not or there would be more bands out there that sounded like them.
Of course there are bands out there "capable of such music." Whether they choose to actually record it is another matter. Opeth aren't the end-all-be-all of (supposed) "complex" music.

Dreamlord said:
Of course there are bands out there "capable of such music." Whether they choose to actually record it is another matter. Opeth aren't the end-all-be-all of (supposed) "complex" music.
Good God, You are a bitter bitter man....I guess every board has to have a "negative poster" we've got one on the Testament board also.

I don't think there is ANY band out there with the dynamics and unique qualities that Opeth has. Sure there are killer bands out there...there's just no one like Opeth. This is a GOOD THING Dreamlord. I picked up Blackwater Park on a whim one day and couldn't stop listening to it for 6 months...I picked up the rest of their albums in a week's time after my first BWP listen. I've never been that way about another band...so obviously there's something special about Opeth's music...to me anyway.

You're right..they aren't the "be-all-end-all" there is RUSH!!!

MindInsane said:
Good God, You are a bitter bitter man....I guess every board has to have a "negative poster" we've got one on the Testament board also.
If stating fact makes me bitter and negative, so be it.

MindInsane said:
Wow, this thread went from pretty cool to lame in 3 posts! What the fuck do Opeth "owe" you?
good music. easy enough, i'd like a return on my investment, thank you.
That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. People take what a band does way too seriously. It's almost like its a defining moment in their life when an album gets put out.
seems like this is the case for you. i didn't care for damnation or the live dvd, so i didn't buy them. simple enough. you, on the other hand, seem to make opeth a defining part of your life. for me they are simply a band that showed alot of talent and seemed to fizzle out, like so many others.
Be thankful for the cds that you have in your collection which wouldn't have been possible without Mikael's genius. Do you think another band is capable of such music? Obviously not or there would be more bands out there that sounded like them. As for trying to sound like Porcupine Tree...please! Opeth doesn't sound anything like Porcupine tree. Remember this...Opeth and Porcupine Tree are in the SAME GENRE so therefore there will be some similarities, but I think both bands are unique and two of the best out there right now. Just because Steven Wilson produces some Opeth and sometimes sings on the occasional Opeth song doesn't mean they sound alike. Have you heard anything by Porcupine Tree besides "In Absentia"? Do you sit in your living room listening to both bands and take notes where they are similar so you can come in here and bitch about it?

Geez....retarded!

can you say fanboy?

the alumnus said:

seems like this is the case for you. i didn't care for damnation or the live dvd, so i didn't buy them. simple enough. you, on the other hand, seem to make opeth a defining part of your life. for me they are simply a band that showed alot of talent and seemed to fizzle out, like so many others.

can you say fanboy?
Oh...shit...I stand corrected. Sorry to sound like such a "fan-boy" <----quiet possibly THE most annoying phrase in the English language. I think I'll have a hard time living up to the "boy" part considering the fact that I'm female..but whatever...just because someome supports a band we need to make up a dirogatory label for them....nice.

the alumnus said:
To the author of this thread, read my signature and try to understand that there is no reaching the hopeless. The people you are accusing of picking apart Opeth are only proving it by picking apart your replies.

Don't bother with 'em.